Bear protection handguns?

This is one video out there is another really good one out there. Makes you think about how good you can shoot a charging bear!

I don't like my chances if a charging bear surprises me from short range. Awareness is critical. If I know a bear is nearby, my firearm will be in hand. If I have time (5 seconds) with my revolver, I am confident that I can put at least 2 shots in the sweet spot on a charging bear. I would like to see this same scenario with a ready to fire position.

Hello
Next season I plan to hunt deer in Arkansas. I am told that from time to time bears pass through the lease. With this in mind, what is a good, dependable handgun (that won't break the bank) to carry for protection? I hear that the Glock 20 (10 mm) is a solid choice. Any other guns to consider?
I prefer the Glock G40 10mm with DeltaPointPro or green laser, Buffalo hard cast rounds, in chest holster. Green laser is most visible to human eye, better than red in sun. Laser puts impact point on the target, where if attacked is where instinctively your eyes will focus rather than on sights/lens. But, do not discount a high quality bear spray. These two options are complementary, not mutually exclusive. Spray is 98%+ effective in deterring an attack, educates the bear that that 2-legged tidbit is over seasoned, not to be messed with. Guns are around 60% effective in stopping attack without person injury. gun use means the bear HAS to be killed, wounded bear is most dangerous. Myths that spray won't stop angry, charging bear are myths, if properly utilized. Solid dose overrides attitude, induces involuntary spasms, pain, incapacitates, . Don't be dissuaded by wind stories. Learn how the wind affects spray application, just as wind separates the shooters from the trigger tuggers. Watch expiration date, change out early, use expired sprays to practice, practice, practice employing, same as practicing, practicing, practicing engaging gun. Check content on bear attacks, gun, spray defense systems by Tom Smith (1000+ attacks cataloged/analyzed), Todd Orr (grizzly attacked twice), "At Home In Wild Spaces" series on YouTube (forget person's name).

Last edited:
Why is that?

Any ammo that passes the FB barrier test passes through;

2 sheets of 20ga steel and 12-18" of penetration in ballistic gel.

3/4" plywood and 12-18" of penetration in ballistic gel.

1/4 automotive glass at a 45° angle and 12-18" of penetration in ballistic gel.

Seems like plenty to go through one layer of bone.
buzby, I shoot gelatin for a living these days and have done over 150 shoots to the FBI protocol. Bullets that meet the performance standards of the protocol may very well work in a bear defense situation.... but they may not. 10% ballistic gelatin is a great media for bullet testing because (if done correctly) it is a consistent way of determining terminal performance. Through experience we know that bullets that meet the minimum FBI protocol criteria will increase the likelihood of terminating the actions of a human adversary, as long as shot placement is good. (Blood carrying organs.) There are no bones, especially bear bones in the gel we shoot. We also don't put fur on the gel. 12-18 inches of penetration may not give the needed margin to compensate for the larger, heavy bear muscle mass and bone of even a small bear. Using hardcast , heavy for caliber bullets in a handgun has proven to be the best way to insure the penetration needed for large, heavy boned critters.

I expect a minimum of 36" penetration with my bear defense revolver slugs. Preferably 48" +

12" is for small game and upland birds - better than a baseball bat. Which isn't saying much... Makes little sense going into a fight with 4-foot plus long bear, carrying a 2-3 foot handicap. So many better options are so readily available to help improve my odds of survival.

Last edited:
Just listened to the interview with Phil Shoemaker. Now I'm seriously contemplating the need for an 8-shot 357 Magnum… Taurus makes a pretty slick 4" option 🤔
I watched that video too, interesting indeed. Seems like a very down to earth guy, no bs or sensationalism. Acknowledged that a 9mm is not the tool for the job and that he preferred to have a .458 rifle and a .44 magnum revolver…and then relayed the craziest awesome story about putting an end to a bear attack with a 9mm!!!!

I have an RMR on one of my 10mm pistols and I really can't acquire the dot fast enough for my liking. I think I'm gonna remove it. Never considered a laser sight frankly because I'm not sure it's legal for use in certain states I hunt.
Gotta practice with it. A lot. Clear and safe the pistol, get in your shooting stance, tuck the pistol into a compressed ready, keep your eyes focused on what you're "aiming" at, and slowly bring the dot to your eyes as you point the pistol at the target. Don't bring your eyes to the dot. Start at a snails pace and work up, it will take time but there is zero doubt a dot is both faster and more accurate.

Gotta practice with it. A lot. Clear and safe the pistol, get in your shooting stance, tuck the pistol into a compressed ready, keep your eyes focused on what you're "aiming" at, and slowly bring the dot to your eyes as you point the pistol at the target. Don't bring your eyes to the dot. Start at a snails pace and work up, it will take time but there is zero doubt a dot is both faster and more accurate.
All those things go out the window when a bear rushes you from 25 ft in some brush on a river bank. It's all about draw and shoot. I can aquire irons on the rail much faster than a dot in this type of scenario. Even repetition of an exercise doesn't make this scenario better using the RMR on a bear confrontation unless you have much more room before the threat is on you

All those things go out the window when a bear rushes you from 25 ft in some brush on a river bank. It's all about draw and shoot. I can aquire irons on the rail much faster than a dot in this type of scenario. Even repetition of an exercise doesn't make this scenario better using the RMR on a bear confrontation unless you have much more room before the threat is on you

You are stating the obvious; we all know neither actually matter if a bear is, in your stated scenario, charging you within 25 feet. Not for anything, you are absolutely not drawing, presenting, and acquiring irons period with a bear charging at 25 feet; you are pointing and shooting instinctively. Let's be realistic, I dont think im talking to Jerry Miculek here. By the time you realize whats going on, adrenaline dump, and react you'd be lucky to have your hand on your pistol by the time he's 10 feet out. Frankly a pistol period very well might not matter at that point either. Dot or not.

...but if you have time and space there is zero question the red dot is better once youve learned how to shoot with it. If the dot makes one of two situations better, isn't a detriment to other, and only requires some practice in the living room to learn how to acquire it...I'll take the dot.

To each their own though, do what you feel is best for you. I was only offering some advice on how to become proficient with acquiring the dot.

You are stating the obvious; we all know neither actually matter if a bear is, in your stated scenario, charging you within 25 feet. Not for anything, you are absolutely not drawing, presenting, and acquiring irons period with a bear charging at 25 feet; you are pointing and shooting instinctively. Let's be realistic, I dont think im talking to Jerry Miculek here. You'd be lucky to have your hand on your pistol by the time he's 10 feet out. Frankly a pistol period very well might not matter at that point either. Dot or not.

...but if you have time and space there is zero question the red dot is better once youve learned how to shoot with it. If the dot makes one of two situations better, isn't a detriment to other, and only requires some practice in the living room to learn how to acquire it...I'll take the dot.

To each their own though, do what you feel is best for you. I was only offering some advice on how to become proficient with acquiring the dot.
This is why I'm taking the RMR off my bear defense pistol. I can shoot 2" groups on paper at 50 yards with it but that means very little in a scenario like this

Last edited:
I watched that video too, interesting indeed. Seems like a very down to earth guy, no bs or sensationalism. Acknowledged that a 9mm is not the tool for the job and that he preferred to have a .458 rifle and a .44 magnum revolver…and then relayed the craziest awesome story about putting an end to a bear attack with a 9mm!!!!

Phil is a member of 24hourcampfire……a forum ""NOT" for the faint of heart! Phil seems to be a great guy, lots of information, without bluster and BS! memtb

Recent Posts