Athlon scopes?

I have two Athlon Ares that are in my cart on Amazon...one max power is 32 the other 24...only $20 difference but I just don't know if 32 power is necessary?!?!

I plan to pull the trigger on one mid December so I can work with it during Christmas break.

As of today I don't plan to try a shot over 600yds on my Aoudad hunt in January but if I can figure out the "dial in" thing I might push that back a little.

The ares only comes in 2.5x15x50 and 4.5x27x50.

Sorry about that...Argos when I was doing the message I couldn't recall the name...I just remembered it started with a "A"...

I have a athlon Argos on my 300 win mag and it does really well for a cheaper scope. Just getting into long range shooting I thought it would be good to start with after reading reviews. First time out it was about 105 out and it did not do bad but I could tell it was a little blurry at around 400. My buddy has a vortex and looking through his it was about the same his may look just a little better but for double the cost couldn't see that much difference. I really like athlon and will probably buy a better one in the next year or so.

Cabelas has the Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes on sale for $999.99,that's $700 off. I just ordered one,I've had one of the Midas scopes for a year now,and it has been a very reliable scope for my needs.

Thanks for heads up. Going thinking about picking one up myself.

I got an Argos and it is not as good as the Vortex Viper ED glass. If you just need something to get in the door, it fits the bill well. However, after using ED glass, I hate to go back. It's on my wife's varmint rig because she doesn't shoot much and will always be shooting with lots of light.

Cabelas has the Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes on sale for $999.99,that's $700 off. I just ordered one,I've had one of the Midas scopes for a year now,and it has been a very reliable scope for my needs.

Man, thats a good deal. Glass wise, I would rate the Athlon right up there with the top tier scopes out there. If I am being honest, I think it actually has better image quality than my Vortex AMG, which costs more than twice what the Cronus is. My only complaint on my Cronus is just the "feel" of the turrets when they operate compared to the other scopes I have. They aren't nearly as crisp as the AMG's. That being said, the feel of them has little to do with how the scope tracks, it seems to track perfectly.

The grease used on the turret caps is really thick from the factory. I cleaned and replaced it with a lighter weight grease that I have,and it really helps the audible sound and tactile feel of the Athlon turrets.
I've done that to the Midas and Cronus scopes that I have.
They still don't have the crisp - solid feel that higher priced tactical / long range scopes do,but for the price,they are very good optics with very few negative points to them.

I shot out to a mile last week,and the Cronus scope performed right with my IOR Recon scope that cost 3x the price.

TTT...anymore experiences with Athlon? I'm taking my Ares on a custom savage out for a hog hunt in Jan. I'll report back.

TTT...anymore experiences with Athlon? I'm taking my Ares on a custom savage out for a hog hunt in Jan. I'll report back.
I had an argos on my 300 RUM and it killed the reticle, sent it back and they sent me a new one....sold it. Bought an Ares, for the money I didn't think it was all that special. Sold it and bought a nightforce NXS.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.