Athlon Armor Scope Rings

Thanks.

I am considering purchasing a set, seller says they are Allen, but I prefer Torx. Could live with Allen tho. A machine shop supply place in town may have the Torx version.

It's 6 one way, half dozen the other. You should only have to touch the screws on the rings once unless you swap scopes between rings a lot. At the price point of the athlon rings you could just buy a pair for a different scope. I lapped the ones I installed and they work well.

Thanks

I can probably live with the Allens, tho most everything I have is Torx. They look to be about as good as the Leupold Mark 4 for about half the cost.

Another item. When you use rings that tighten on the rail by means of a hex knob does anyone have a preference for which side of the rail the hex knobs are on? I would assume opposite the ejection port for a bolt action tho I can't think of a good reason why.

They shouldn't be getting in the way on the ejection port side. I like to keep one side of my rifles "slick" with the least amount of fasteners possible. So I usually put everything on the bolt handle side of the rifle. Again its 6 one way..........
30 inch pounds on the rail and 18 inch pounds on the rings is pretty much standard with optics these days.

I'm coming to prefer Torx for one basic reason; there is only one set of sizes. Doesn't matter what the thread size and pitch is, a T10 is a T10 whether the threads are SAE or Metric. This should have been done decades ago.

I'm also coming to the opinion that they can take a higher torque than a hex socket w/o stripping. Maybe the name is sub-liminally programming me to think that and maybe it's real, dunno but it seems real. In this particular application that only matters when some numbnutz used red Lock-tite on the ring screws and I get to take it apart. Far less chance of stripping out a Torx, even after applying the various methods to get Lock-tite to let go.

No idea why the OP prefers them, but that is why I do.

I prefer them because I feel that it's easier to turn them tighter without stripping the Allen screw port in the screw head. You could probably twist the head off of the bolt/screw with a Torx if you wanted to.

Recent Posts