Athlon?

Bought a Midas tac recently, mounted on the wife's tikka in 7mm-08.
I'm no where near the skill level and experience as most people here onLRH but
this scope works very well out to 1000 yds dialing and using reticle marks.
Athlon's customer service is as good as it gets, first scope came with a blem in the glass. Sent it in for repair and they said they would replace it but it was discontinued, so they up graded me to the Midas Tac. I'm a fan of Athlon!

What you have are people that have their favorite anything and that's the only thing that to have.
Then you have people that know nothing about them and hate them anyway.
Then you have people that have them and know they are a good product for what they are.
Truth be known they are probably made in the same plant some of the big names are and just priced better for not being a big name.....yet

They are good scopes or at least the one I worked with for my Grandson was very clear and bright. He has the Athlon Aeries BTR Gen I, the gripe on this Gen scope was the elevation and windage knobs did not have a good audible click when dialing... If that is all you can complain about on a scope then you are just looking for something to complain about. Bdlesh is right you have scope fan clubs and they will hate on anything that is not there brand, the next complaint you are going to hear is Made in China, I am not a fan of China, but this country sold it's soul to China a while ago and nearly everything in our homes has that label.

Bought a Midas tac recently, mounted on the wife's tikka in 7mm-08.
I'm no where near the skill level and experience as most people here onLRH but
this scope works very well out to 1000 yds dialing and using reticle marks.
Athlon's customer service is as good as it gets, first scope came with a blem in the glass. Sent it in for repair and they said they would replace it but it was discontinued, so they up graded me to the Midas Tac. I'm a fan of Athlon!
I had the same experience with an Athlon Chronus (Gen1). Seemed as though I was not getting the full elevation adjustment range. Sent it in to Athlon. Athlon called me directly when they received it, we discussed the issues, they tested, said tracking was VERY slightly off as well...Sent me the Chronus BTR Gen2. Best customer service I have ever dealt with!!!

I shoot with a group of 5 - 10 guys , . we shoot fairly often through the good weather . I use a NXS scope , another guy uses a Valada scope , I think the other guys all use Athlon . I think most of these Athlons are the lower line . our range is 600 - 2000 yards . these scopes get dialed up and down a lot . I don't remember any of these being returned for a problem . I never hear of the guys complain about dialing them ,or loosing zero . I'd say they must be a decent scope . I've seen they are more than capable of getting the job done .

I asked this question because I bought two Aries BTR 4 1/2–27 GEN twos, I have had zero issues, they tracked beautifully, always return to zero, my big gripe if you can call it that, Is that it weighs too much , But it seems like all scopes with those many features are all about the same weight, heavy. With that being said I just never seem to see them recommended like other scopes, I got both of mine from Camera land, Neal treated me Like I had been buying there for years, just can't imagine anyone not liking them, and this from a guy who has at least 15 Leopold scopes

I don't think you can go wrong with Athlon. Like others have said it's marketing and the resistance from the fan boys of other makers. Fine with me, I'll spend less $$ for better quality and service all day long. And yes Cameraland is the ONLY place to shop lol!

I'm a frequenter on several hunting & shooting forums. Its seems that some, scopes, bullets, stocks, etc... are more popular than others in certain circles of people. You have people who will only drive one brand of vehicle, wear only one brand of blue jeans, drink only one brand of soft drink, etc.. Those things are "The best" in their mind.

I don't think you can go wrong with Athlon. Like others have said it's marketing and the resistance from the fan boys of other makers. Fine with me, I'll spend less $$ for better quality and service all day long. And yes Cameraland is the ONLY place to shop lol!
I bought a Athlon Ares gen2 4.5x27 it is a great scope a USA owned company evidently good quality control . I've read all the reviews ,tracking , clarity etc is on par with scopes that cost twice as much , if not more . I don't buy China made scopes any longer because this Covid thing has turned me off of China. I would take a hard look at the Meopta Optica 6 series scopes for about the same price , these scopes are way above there price point , made in checklevokia European glass , and a lot of different reticle choices , they have zero lock and zero stop with capped windage ffp or sfp . They also made the Zeiss conquest for Zeiss with the Zeiss name on it . I don't think you can beat there quality for a scope that cost twice as much.

What you have are people that have their favorite anything and that's the only thing that to have.
Then you have people that know nothing about them and hate them anyway.
Then you have people that have them and know they are a good product for what they are.
Truth be known they are probably made in the same plant some of the big names are and just priced better for not being a big name.....yet

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that to be correct. Most of your big name scopes are actually made in Japan. LOW, Kenco etc being the actual manufacturers.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but the top tier Chinese brands off the top of my head are Vortex (PST II Philippines & Razor Japan) & Athlon (up to Cronus). With the Razor & Cronus both being made in Japan. With these two models, one will also see a significant increase in price. Whether or not that price increase is acceptable to the individual shooter, is completely up to the individual. I won't degrade someone for using a Chinese scope, I just chose not to support those companies any longer.

At the end of the day, if I get to spend time on the range with a good friend; we both win. Chinese scopes or not.

To the OP: Every review I've seen on the Athlon line of scopes has been quite good. I know a few PRS shooters that rave about the glass on the Cronus (Japanese ED). As long as it fits your needs & does what it should, rock that stuff all day long.

t

Last edited:
I asked this question because I bought two Aries BTR 4 1/2–27 GEN twos, I have had zero issues, they tracked beautifully, always return to zero, my big gripe if you can call it that, Is that it weighs too much , But it seems like all scopes with those many features are all about the same weight, heavy. With that being said I just never seem to see them recommended like other scopes, I got both of mine from Camera land, Neal treated me Like I had been buying there for years, just can't imagine anyone not liking them, and this from a guy who has at least 15 Leopold scopes
There are some stand up guys at Cameraland. I bought a couple of the 4-20 Helos scopes and love them on my 22LR. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on something similar to Vortex's 4.5-22 FFP LHT.