Anyone in AK willing to help on an Etolin tag?

BillNye

I drew the early season archery tag (Sept 1-30) and unfortunately my regular hunting buddy just found out she needs foot surgery. My other options are all unavailable or unable to get in shape in time.

If you've ever hunted the alpine in southeast you know how weather dependent it can be. My current plan/arrangement with the air transporter out of Wrangell is to get a refundable/changeable ticket into Wrangell with Alaska Airlines and only go for it if the weather window looks good.

I have all the gear and have done a lot of similar hunts for alpine deer/goat in southeast but for safety and logistical reasons I don't want to hunt this one solo, I'm looking for someone to come along and split the work/meat, probably bring a rifle and take a bear/deer if we can. You'd need to be flexible on timing/availability in September since weather will be the driving factor for the schedule and it may end up that there's never a decent window. PM me if you're interested,

Thanks

I drew the early season archery tag (Sept 1-30) and unfortunately my regular hunting buddy just found out she needs foot surgery. My other options are all unavailable or unable to get in shape in time.

If you've ever hunted the alpine in southeast you know how weather dependent it can be. My current plan/arrangement with the air transporter out of Wrangell is to get a refundable/changeable ticket into Wrangell with Alaska Airlines and only go for it if the weather window looks good.

I have all the gear and have done a lot of similar hunts for alpine deer/goat in southeast but for safety and logistical reasons I don't want to hunt this one solo, I'm looking for someone to come along and split the work/meat, probably bring a rifle and take a bear/deer if we can. You'd need to be flexible on timing/availability in September since weather will be the driving factor for the schedule and it may end up that there's never a decent window. PM me if you're interested,

Thanks
Hope that you and your family are doing well. Is this a just "Archery Hunt"? You mentioned to take a rifle to take a deer/bear.
So is your Tag just Archery? Would the second person just be there to help out?
Thanks
Len & Jill

Hope that you and your family are doing well. Is this a just "Archery Hunt"? You mentioned to take a rifle to take a deer/bear.
So is your Tag just Archery? Would the second person just be there to help out?
Thanks
Len & Jill
The elk draw tag is for one bull with no antler restrictions and is archery only. However, the island also has a lot of sitka blacktail deer as well as both species of bear and those may be harvested by any method with OTC harvest tags. In September both the sitka blacktail and elk spend most of thier time in the alpine areas above tree level and bears are either on berry patches or salmon streams down low.

The sucess rate on elk isn't great but most of the people I've talked to who have hunted the tag also had opportunities at deer and/or bear so at least a consolation prize is likely. I would be more comfortable if one of us had a firearm handy during processing anyways. So the second person would be there to help with elk, and so long as it doesn't interfere with the elk, take a nice deer or bear.

The elk draw tag is for one bull with no antler restrictions and is archery only. However, the island also has a lot of sitka blacktail deer as well as both species of bear and those may be harvested by any method with OTC harvest tags. In September both the sitka blacktail and elk spend most of thier time in the alpine areas above tree level and bears are either on berry patches or salmon streams down low.

The sucess rate on elk isn't great but most of the people I've talked to who have hunted the tag also had opportunities at deer and/or bear so at least a consolation prize is likely. I would be more comfortable if one of us had a firearm handy during processing anyways. So the second person would be there to help with elk, and so long as it doesn't interfere with the elk, take a nice deer or bear.
This is a GREAT opportunity to go on an adventure of a lifetime.
Anyone should check this out. Going on a trip with someone that you have no idea of how both of you are compatible is a challenge.
Personally I would like to go with you and would have to know a lot more.
This trip sounds GREAT!!!!

Recent Posts