257 weatherby AI?

TC338

Has anyone ever tried to AI the 257 weatherby? Was just sitting looking at a round last night and wondered if it had been done or even could be.

Has anyone ever tried to AI the 257 weatherby? Was just sitting looking at a round last night and wondered if it had been done or even could be.
I am in no way trying to discourage you. What is your intended purpose, and what is your current setup not doing for you? I have a .257 WBY 22" 1:7" built explicitly to the heavies. I am propelling the 163 Chinchaga at 2915 FPS during a pressure test with H1000. I have loaded with Retumbo for my next range time opportunity.

Yes, it is very tempting to improve it because of its long neck. I considered it but could not justify it for my intended purpose. If the goal is more powder, I will go with .257 STW instead if your action can accommodate the COAL. Regarding being a belted magnum, I load quite a few belted magnum cartridges, including a custom cartridge, with no issues.

Since it headspaces off of the belt, it is entirely possible.
People have been doing it with the 7mm Rem Mag.

Yep, as well as .264 WM.

I am in no way trying to discourage you. What is your intended purpose, and what is your current setup not doing for you? I have a .257 WBY 22" 1:7" built explicitly to the heavies. I am propelling the 163 Chinchaga at 2915 FPS during a pressure test with H1000. I have loaded with Retumbo for my next range time opportunity.

Yes, it is very tempting to improve it because of its long neck. I considered it but could not justify it for my intended purpose. If the goal is more powder, I will go with .257 STW instead if your action can accommodate the COAL. Regarding being a belted magnum, I load quite a few belted magnum cartridges, including a custom cartridge, with no issues.

Yep, as well as .264 WM.
Honestly, just more curious rather than having any intent. I just got my 257 and have not even been able to shoot it yet. Was just handling a cartridge last night and the wheels started turning. I’m a very novice reloader so I figured I’d search out the wisdom of others on here before I did something pointless or dumb.

Honestly, just more curious rather than having any intent. I just got my 257 and have not even been able to shoot it yet. Was just handling a cartridge last night and the wheels started turning. I’m a very novice reloader so I figured I’d search out the wisdom of others on here before I did something pointless or dumb.
What are the specs? Your barrel twist will dictate what bullets you can stabilize and load. Give your rifle a chance to shine; it might just surprise you. Efficiency in reloading does not happen overnight; take your time and enjoy the learning process,

What are the specs? Your barrel twist will dictate what bullets you can stabilize and load. Give your rifle a chance to shine; it might just surprise you. Efficiency in reloading does not happen overnight; take your time and enjoy the learning process,
I actually bought the rifle in the link you posted on my thread about the flattest shooting deer cartridge. Thank you for that link by the way. It’s a factory Weatherby mark V Apex, so I’m fairly certain it is a 1-10 twist. Planning to run the 92g Hammers as fast as possible for MPB shooting. This rifle is mainly for my dad who doesn’t want to turn dials, just point and shoot.

You should be able to send them at a blistering speed.!
My dad does the same with 100gr TTSX, and I can assure you the results are impressive.
On his 350yd long field, he and the Grandkids have always done exactly as you said. Aim and fire, and watch the flop

I actually bought the rifle in the link you posted on my thread about the flattest shooting deer cartridge. Thank you for that link by the way. It’s a factory Weatherby mark V Apex, so I’m fairly certain it is a 1-10 twist. Planning to run the 92g Hammers as fast as possible for MPB shooting. This rifle is mainly for my dad who doesn’t want to turn dials, just point and shoot.
LOL, now I remember the thread.

You should be able to send them at a blistering speed.!
My dad does the same with 100gr TTSX, and I can assure you the results are impressive.
On his 350yd long field, he and the Grandkids have always done exactly as you said. Aim and fire, and watch the flop
That’s goal for this rifle.

Speaking of the quarter bore, I'm wondering if anyone has tried necking down the 260 to a 25 and then AI it.
Hey!!! No thread hijacking!! Just kidding. I have not seen it done, but I bet that would be a sweet little round. I’ve seen several guys running 25 creed and 25x47 in PRS matches. Would be interesting to try.

Hey!!! No thread hijacking!! Just kidding. I have not seen it done, but I bet that would be a sweet little round. I’ve seen several guys running 25 creed and 25x47 in PRS matches. Would be interesting to try.
Just wondering if he'd want to go with a short action. Actually would be a 25.08.

Speaking of the quarter bore, I'm wondering if anyone has tried necking down the 260 to a 25 and then AI it.
As a courtesy to the OP, you might consider starting a separate thread. This way, you'll get more information dedicated to your query, which does not get buried here. Good luck!