Anybody carry a fixed blade knife on their belt while hunting?

I carry entirely to many knives when I'm hunting, folder pocket knife for EDC, including hunting, an outdoor edge with replacement blades in my pack, I've got my grandfathers Buck fixed blade that I throw on my belt (usually this is just there for nostalgia) and I have a small fixed blade attached to my bino harness. Think this season the buck may be put on a day pack and probably move the one from the bino harness to the truck. as a spare/camp knife.

I carry entirely to many knives when I'm hunting, folder pocket knife for EDC, including hunting, an outdoor edge with replacement blades in my pack, I've got my grandfathers Buck fixed blade that I throw on my belt (usually this is just there for nostalgia) and I have a small fixed blade attached to my bino harness. Think this season the buck may be put on a day pack and probably move the one from the bino harness to the truck. as a spare/camp knife.
When I'm hunting I ditch my EDC knife.

I like the idea, but never have. I usually have a folder in my pocket and a disposable blade knife and benchmade altitude in my kill kit.

I remember my grandpa and uncles hunting with fixed blade knives in leather sheaths in the 80's and 90's.
I guess I'm old school in some ways but I always have a fixed blade either on my belt or in my pack when I'm hunting. The Charles May Holt Collier Special in S35V is my current favorite. I would like th have a horizontal carry Kydex sheath made for it though…

John

IMG_7948.jpg

Those moras have a good balance of edge holding and sharpenability, but they are pretty standard when it comes to hardness. They offer a carbon steel and a stainless steel option.

The scandi grind makes them dead simple to sharpen. I often gift a Mora to an individual on their first hunt, (if they don't already have an appropriate knife).

I am a bit of a knife nut, but I have one special folder that rides in my pocket all hunting season. (second from bottom).

Long fixed blade on my pack (top or second from top)

If I'm not counting ounces, skinning knife in my pack (middle)

(Some of my favorites)

faveknives.jpg

Last edited:
I always have a fix blade on me, I have several custom knives of my design and I recently add a Goat knives Carbon Tur which is a 1.5 ounce fixed blade, which allows me to leave the heavier customs at home. I will not use a replaceable blade knife, I've seen so many serious injuries with them it's too much of a safety risk to me.
Good point. I'm a bit accident prone as it is haha

How is the steel? Holds edge?
Nothing special. But the basic one is like a 20-30 dollar knife for crying out loud! You can't do better than these for the same price from anyone, heck I don't think you can really do much better for 2-3 times as much. Just a good backup knife to have kicking around and not worry about.

And they're made in Sweden, not a sweatshop in Southeast Asia so that's a plus.

Those moras have a good balance of edge holding and sharpenability, but they are pretty standard when it comes to hardness. They offer a carbon steel and a stainless steel option.

The scandi grind makes them dead simple to sharpen. I often gift a Mora to an individual on their first hunt, (if they don't already have an appropriate knife).

I am a bit of a knife nut, but I have one special folder that rides in my pocket all hunting season. (second from bottom).

Long fixed blade on my pack (top or second from top)

If I'm not counting ounces, skinning knife in my pack (middle)

(Some of my favorites)

View attachment 587277
thanks. I see you are a spiderco-phile

I always have at least my Buck-110 ( bought it used in 1986), Havalon with extra blades, and might have a Buck Bowie style knife. I have a few knives in my collection, but dont take those hunting. Limited budget, limited choices, but those mora look affordable on Amazon.

thanks. I see you are a spiderco-phile

Haha, what can I say - they are ugly, but they work! (Hard to stomach at current prices though 🤢)

I reprofiled the edge on that Hungarian (the folder) to about .010" behind the edge. CTS-XHP at 64hrc - that thing holds an edge like crazy!

(Here are a few more of my favorites)
folders I have known.jpg

Last edited: