Anybody carry a fixed blade knife on their belt while hunting?

We all probably should...was on a Wyoming elk hunt in G-bear country a few years ago and
our guide had been mauled once and the fixed blade strapped on his leg got the bear off of him.
Since then I have been trying to find the right place to carry one as I always have a pack on and want to always be able to find it. Something to consider.

I carry two. image.jpgimage.jpg

We all probably should...was on a Wyoming elk hunt in G-bear country a few years ago and
our guide had been mauled once and the fixed blade strapped on his leg got the bear off of him.
Since then I have been trying to find the right place to carry one as I always have a pack on and want to always be able to find it. Something to consider.
I wear an Eco pack (Gen 3) all the time and put my sheath knife on the outside velcro area meant for pistols or other accessories... It goes all the way back and out of the way. Works great and isn't under the pack getting pushed into your side.

That is something to consider! I know a lot of folks would just depend entirely on a firearm but I suppose there are situations (and yours isn't hypothetical!) where things happen so fast or you get knocked down before you can even respond…I can certainly see how there might be times when a knife is actually faster and more effectively deployed from a "disadvantageous" position than a gun. Certainly not suggesting to not have a gun! 🤣. But both makes sense. What's the expression about precautionary prep? …"two is one and one is none!"

That is something to consider! I know a lot of folks would just depend entirely on a firearm but I suppose there are situations (and yours isn't hypothetical!) where things happen so fast or you get knocked down before you can even respond…I can certainly see how there might be times when a knife is actually faster and more effectively deployed from a "disadvantageous" position than a gun. Certainly not suggesting to not have a gun! 🤣. But both makes sense. What's the expression about precautionary prep? …"two is one and one is none!"
Agree. A handgun and a knife. But no grenade, that's just too close to deploy one.

Agree. A handgun and a knife. But no grenade, that's just too close to deploy one.
Unless you're already so grievously mauled you know there'll be no surviving your injuries. If I'm going down I'm taking you with me!!!! Now that you bring this up, a grenade seems a perfect option number 3.

"Mutually assured destruction" - the nuclear deterrent 🤣

Unless you're already so grievously mauled you know there'll be no surviving your injuries. If I'm going down I'm taking you with me!!!! Now that you bring this up, a grenade seems a perfect option number 3.

"Mutually assured destruction" - the nuclear deterrent 🤣
Good thing that Hugh Glass did not have that option.

Any of these three:
Buck Hunter 6",
Boker 6"
OKC ka-bar marine 7"

And will typically have my Benchmade Tanto folder in my pocket too.
Carry the first in my backback most of the times, on belt if I think I need it. Lost my first K-Bar marine, I replaced it, but prefer to keep it "new" like a desk queen

I carry a Behring Made fixed blade knife with me all the time while in the field. I like having it because it is razor sharp and has a little more back bone than a folder does, generally speaking, just in case you need it. I also carry a Ruana every once in awhile for the same reason. Both are top quality knives and if you live close enough to their small factories here in Montana they will re-sharpen them for you!

Carry the first in my backback most of the times, on belt if I think I need it. Lost my first K-Bar marine, I replaced it, but prefer to keep it "new" like a desk queen
IMO, the OKC is nothing more than a replica of the Ka-Bar. I borrowed a WWII Marine's service knife back in the 80's from his widow. Best darned knife I have ever used. Take care of a blade, and it will never rust, but there's something to say about high carbon steel -- the sharpest edge I've ever honed.
Mine stays on my hip at 4 o'clock. Pistol is at 8 o'clock (lefty shooter).
Speaking of knives, a childhood buddy called me last year, said the Rapala filet knife I gave him in 4th grade for his birthday finally bit the dust. We fished a lot together, catching carp, perch and bluegill. We'd toss back the bluegill, eat the perch, leave the carp to suffocate.
My mate to it gave up the ghost somewhere around 2008.
Imagine nowadays kids giving a knife to another kid on their 10th birthday.