Anybody carry a fixed blade knife on their belt while hunting?

Use to carry a fixed blade on my belt. But now days it's a pocket knife and a couple of sharp fixed blades in my pack. When I'm in the field my pack is always with me and there are certain things that are always in my pack. So if I have my pack I can always take care of an animal properly, stay dry, reasonably warm, survive a night out and protect myself. Just a habit I've gotten in. At my age Lord help me if I change things up.

I wear three fixed blade knives strapped to my chest.. upside down for quick access. The Rambo knife sticks up so far that it doubles as a walkie-talkie antenna. 😄😄 OK seriously, I do wear a fixed blade skinner Buck 192 Vanguard on my waist while hunting. I have a Schrade Old Timer folder in my pack.

I got a 192 this year myself. No experience with it yet. Also grabbed one of these funny looking "Bubba" knives (better known for fishing stuff) the "rhino" model for big game hunting tasks. The strongly curved blade should make it a good skinner I hope and that aggresive clip point ought to be good at getting in between joints and separating them. The handle and overall aesthetic look hateful but actually feels super comfortable in the hand, and the rubberized coating is not slippery when wet. The bright orange should be easy to find if I set it down in the snow mid-task. We shall see.

These are my main 3 fixed blades, no I do not walk around with all three on my belt, though your Rambo reference is giving me inspiration to do so 🤣

The buck 119, 192, and bubba rhino. I do have folders but honestly do prefer fixed blades for any "serious" work.

Attachments

• IMG_8503.jpeg
    IMG_8503.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I always have a fix blade on me, I have several custom knives of my design and I recently add a Goat knives Carbon Tur which is a 1.5 ounce fixed blade, which allows me to leave the heavier customs at home. I will not use a replaceable blade knife, I've seen so many serious injuries with them it's too much of a safety risk to me.

I used to carry BIG Bowie style fixed blade knives and still have a bin full of them. Years ago, actually decades ago (is that possible???) I switched to a 1.5" folding Gerber blade and I have never looked back. I can field dress or debone any big game animal with it, and it weighs nothing. I keep one in my pocket and one in my pack with meat bags. When I harvest a deer or bear too far away, or in the deep thick woods, I can break it down to just meat and only pack that out. I have found some that the older small Gerber's hold the best blade, so if you can find some, hold on to them.

I am real olde & I quit belt/sheath knives at the same time I quit shooting deers and similar. I limit my hunting now to rodents.

I carry a 3 1/2 inch Buck folding knife & a Swiss Army knife that has an assortment of extensions including tiny scissors, bottle opener/screw driver. saw, can opener, blades, tweezers, awl, & corkscrew. I met these nice girls on the beach while fishing for striped bass & opened a bottle of Pinot Grigio for them as they forgot a corkscrew. They thanked me & gave me a drink.

I also have some kind of Gerber multi tool that has pliers & other stuff.

I was just curious if you carry a Helle knife when when setting. They were sure popular back in the eighties and nineties. My brother spent twenty four years in Dutch Harbor, and brought one back to the mainland for me.
Victornox on a sheath taped to a grundens stretch belt. Cheap and effective.

When grundens first put out their knife it had neodymium magnets and was setup for horizontal rig on the belt. Was a little big and caught on things, probably have a few still but back to cheapies.

Cant speak to ducth in the 80s or 90s, little before my time. Heck, cant even speak to dutch now... life goal is to not cross unimak anymore...