Anybody carry a fixed blade knife on their belt while hunting?

I could never afford to spiderc0, I can only enjoy them from afar. As far as knife steel I truly like Kershaw of Japan. (not true stainless, weak acid like lemon juice can stain them). US made are OK, China made I will NEVER know. US made Buck are pretty indistructible. K-Bar are tough.

I have carried a fixed blade hunting knife on my belt from the time I was ten until I was in my late thirties, when I switched to carrying it in an outside pocket of my day pack. Nothing wrong with the practice, but you need to sort it out before you do it. First, you need a high quality sheath with either aluminum, copper, brass or formed steel covering the lower 1/4 of the edges (anywhere the blade could come through in a fall or other mishap. I could be wrong on this one, which is that a good sharp blade may be stopped by ballistic nylon material. Ask a custom knife maker on that one.

Most people do not have a good way thought out for keeping the knife in the sheath if they fall, which is a big part of why I started carrying it in my day pack. Twice I have helped gut and skin elk which were shot by youngsters who, in their excitement, left their knife in the tent, on their sleeping bag. I figured they had them, since they were gear nuts. It worked out ok. Back then I carried a light, double-bit hand axe by Collins, what people used to call a "saddle cruiser". One edge was kept razor sharp for opening cuts and skinning, the other edge was a bit less sharp, on a flatter angle to cut bone without chipping the edge of the blade.

Sounds kind of salty, doesn't it? It worked ok, but it wasn't nearly as impressive as watching the 40 - 60 year old guys who'd grown up in the Great Depression use their Case Trapper's model 3 blade pocketknife to gut a deer and bust it into carrying loads in 10 or 12 minutes or an elk in 30 - 45 minutes.

OK, I have bored everyone long enough, so here goes: if your in brown bear or grizzly country, keep your knife in its sheath, wrap it in a rag so it won't rattle and put in your pack. Put a smallish yet powerful handgun on your belt instead. S&W 60-10 .357 at the bottom of the list and a S&W 29-10+ in 4" length is the top of the list. Do not use hollow points and instead use loads with large (wide) solid meplats like you can get from Double Tap or Buffalo Bore. If your in the lower 48 and hunting deer, put it on your belt and hang it in a position where if you fall on your butt you won't trim any hemorrhoids.

Last edited:
Never ever leave home without my fixed blade. I always have my late Uncle's three bladed buck knife too...
B16FF7EC-535A-4093-ABA5-5FF8252E2561_1_201_a.jpeg
A well made, wet moulded sheath doesn't need any kind of metal.
Yes, I made everything in above photo.

Sorry for the late entry into this discussion , I had to locate my cutlery that I carried through the mountains of Colorado , New Mexico , Montana , and Wyoming for the past 50 years of hunting .

I started carrying a fixed-blade belt knife at the age of 12 , when fishing on the Texas Gulf Coast , back in 1962 . It was a Kabar with a 4-1/2" blade that I carried when I first hunted Deer at age 14 . Sadly , I can't find that knife .

In 1970 , I bought a Buck #118 that I have continued to carry when Deer hunting up to this day .
I later added a Browning Sharp Steel sharpener in late 1970's (a gift from my Dad), then a Schrade Old-Timer folding knife (that was given to me in 1986 by a dear friend who passed-away in 2015) with a bone saw blade , carried in it's belt sheath , and a Wyoming Knife that I added to my carry belt in 1990's .

The Buck knife was always carried on my right side , closest to front , and it's scabbard shows the results of many years of walking through Oak brush .

There a lots of memories in these 4 tools .

DMP25-06

Attachments

• image2-3.jpeg
    image2-3.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image1-3.jpeg
    image1-3.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 28
  • image0-3.jpeg
    image0-3.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 27