A Bit Off of the Usual Topics, but….

I've considered prepping over the years. I focused on protection, and feel reasonably comfortable with this aspect. If SHTF happens, I guess we are screwed. I'm not worried about freezing to death or not having water, but eating raccoons, possums and other plentiful critters just doesn't appeal to me. I really should invest in some food prep, but really don't know where to start.

I hear you guys , I'm originally from Georgia but I've been here in Mt for 24 years. When I was a kid we carried a rifle in the back window of the truck going to high school, not even a chance now a days down there. Today I grab a suppressed rifle step out my front door turn left walk down the street 300 yards and smack a deer or elk and no one even looks cross eyed at you, gotta love central Mt but not Billings or Missoula. Got 4 days to kill another elk then bow season starts for 6 weeks!
One day I will come to Two Dot and see your slice of heaven. Good luck on your next next elk.

I've considered prepping over the years. I focused on protection, and feel reasonably comfortable with this aspect. If SHTF happens, I guess we are screwed. I'm not worried about freezing to death or not having water, but eating raccoons, possums and other plentiful critters just doesn't appeal to me. I really should invest in some food prep, but really don't know where to start.

Dried beans, rice, wheat (in 5 gallon pails with oxygen/water absorption pads) and some other items have a shelf life of many years……meat not so much.

Having a lot of over the counter medications/vitamins (many have long shelf life), sugar, salt, baking soda, curing salt, ect. Also having many cases of toilet paper will make a very important aspect of survival much more pleasant, along with paper towels, ect. Canning jars, sealing lids, ect. is another huge plus. A good supply of Heritage Garden seeds is another valuable asset.

Honey bees, they offer a lot more than just honey.

A good solar panel array…..large enough to maintain a decent battery bank and ideally an 220/240 volt inverter which can run your water well. This is one of our shortcomings…..we do not have a 220/240 inverter. We'll have to rely on a 110/120 volt water well pump.

A good supply of disinfectants is huge. We have a 5 gallon pail of powdered calcium hypochlorite to make bleach. If my math is correct….we can treat 500,000 gallons of water for drinking.

Lots of hand tools, small animal traps, wire, rope, building materials, ect.

This would be a real good start…..how far
You supplement your, coon, possum, rabbits, ect. with lots of the long term dried foods.

Oh, lots of good seasoning can help make most anything very delectable! 😉

I strongly recommend Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning……
This is the way we buy it! 😉 memtb

1725371306364.jpeg

Last edited:
A good cajun seasoning could make anything edible.
Due to the MSG in Tony's I switched to Slap Ya Mama seasoning. MSG made my lips swell and burn.
Love their hot sauce as well.Still prefer Tabasco but in a pinch I will use Slap Ya Mama hot sauce.

Dried beans, rice, wheat (in 5 gallon pails with oxygen/water absorption pads) and some other items have a shelf life of many years……meat not so much.

Having a lot of over the counter medications/vitamins (many have long shelf life), sugar, salt, baking soda, curing salt, ect. Also having many cases of toilet paper will make a very important aspect of survival much more pleasant, along with paper towels, ect. Canning jars, sealing lids, ect. is another huge plus. A good supply of Heritage Garden seeds is another valuable asset.

Honey bees, they offer a lot more than just honey. A good solar panel array…..large enough to maintain a decent battery bank and ideally an 220/240 volt inverter which can run your water well.

A good supply of disinfectants is huge. We have a 5 gallon pail of powdered calcium hypochlorite to make bleach. If my math is correct….we can treat 500,000 gallons of water for drinking.

Lots of hand tools, small animal traps, wire, rope, building materials, ect.

This would be a real good start…..how far
You supplement your, coon, possum, rabbits, ect. with lots of the long term dried foods.

Oh, lots of good seasoning can help make most anything very delectable! 😉

I strongly recommend Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning……
This is the way we buy it! 😉 memtb

View attachment 599151

A good cajun seasoning could make anything edible.
Due to the MSG in Tony's I switched to Slap Ya Mama seasoning. MSG made my lips swell and burn.
Love their hot sauce as well.Still prefer Tabasco but in a pinch I will use Slap Ya Mama hot sauce.
So this'll help coon or possum taste delicious? 🤣

I actually like your list memtb. Maybe we should all mention a few things that we have? Peanut butter is nice to have and stores well. Canned fruit is nice also.
We just started canning ground venison and the wife does vegetables from the garden. Many people fail to prepare for their pets food so we try to stay a month ahead on this.

Got a suppressor on my 22 -love it!!

I know that this will be seen as "blasphemy" here…….but in this scenario….. a suppressed 22 trumps a LR rifle in practical use!

You can feed yourself quite well with a suppressed 22 without drawing unwanted attention to you and your family!

One thing that is probably the most important, as said in real estate…….location, location, location! The farther you are away from large cities/towns, interstates/4 lane highways, while having as reliable source for water are very critical for long term survival!

In our case, 100 miles to nearest interstate, over 150 miles to a large city (in our case 50K plus people), with water on two sides (irrigation canal at the north fence and a small river at the south fence of our property.

As utilities will very likely be down in a long term situation, an alternate source of energy. We have a 1000 gallon propane tank and some solar. As timber is extinct at our place, we have a large stack of logs for firewood……hopefully it doesn't come to that, as we're least prepared for using wood for heat, while we do have a small wood burning cook stove!

If you have timber access, a two man cross-cut saw or two, and several bow saws would be a very important part of your preps! memtb

Last edited: