9.3x62 - Best Bullets For Elk?

Hoss50

Does anyone have experience with this caliber and reloading for hunting? I didn't want to muddy up my other thread on 9.3x62.

I have a cow elk hunting and black bear hunt coming that I wouldn't mind using my new 9.3x62 on, but want to load a bullet best for lighter/medium game. Bears are probably 150-300lbs here and cows are probably 350-550lbs.

Any advice? I like copper, but I am afraid they won't open well at lower speeds since I will be launching these around 2300fps I am guessing from my 20" barrel.

Thanks
Harley

0-300 yards is kind of the goal. Realistically 0-200.

Hornady told me that there all copper bullet has to be going 2000fps or faster to open. That doesn't give me alot of range with a launch velocity of 2350ish.

So I am looking for something on the softer side that will open in smaller game.

Back in 2007 or 2008 Rick Jameson wrote an article in Shooting Times on the available bullets at the time and their ability to open at low velocity. I have a copy stored somewhere but since it was in print it should be available. It was very detailed using a 30-06 (.308) shooting into ballistic gel. He did testing at high and low velocity (1200-1880) I think.

0-300 yards is kind of the goal. Realistically 0-200.

Hornady told me that there all copper bullet has to be going 2000fps or faster to open. That doesn't give me alot of range with a launch velocity of 2350ish.

So I am looking for something on the softer side that will open in smaller game.
Several years ago my Dad crushed a 6 pt. bull with a 250 gr. Nosler Accubond. The bullet opened well with deep penetration. I loaded the ammo, but I have long since lost my notes. I'm pretty sure I was using Varget. Good luck on your hunt.
Steve

I have taken lots of medium game (including cow elk) with the the Barnes 250 TSX. My two 9,3 have loved 58.1 grains of Varget.

Barnes minimum expansion velocity varies by caliber and bullet weight. For the 250 grain 9,3 it is 1600 fps. I took my cow at a lasered 350 yards last year in NM.

Accuracy with my two different 9,3s. The pink splatter target was shot at 100 yards, the other at 200 yards. Velocity was ~ 2450 fps.

Attachments

• 9.3 200.jpg
    9.3 200.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 93 target.jpg
    93 target.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 27
  • NM Cow Elk adjusted.jpg
    NM Cow Elk adjusted.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 33
If your Hornady GMX bullet doesn't work per manufacturer recommendation, then I'd find a copper bullet that does. Luckily we have more than one choice for monometals these days. However, these days 9.3 bullet variety is limited from a few years ago.

Honestly, on elk if you can't find a mono you want to use I'd be happy with the 286 grain Hornady Interlock bullet. While I don't have any real experience with the 9.3X62. I've done quite a bit of testing with the 270 grain IL in a .375 JDJ 26" barreled Encore rifle at around 2200 fps.

I ultimately chose the 260 grain NAB for my hunting bullet, but the IL was a close second. I shot quite a few IL bullets through my .375 Ruger as well. I have doubts you'll recover an IL bullet from a 9.3X62 on elk even at 300 yards. Unless you're shooting at extreme angles, but that bullet will penetrate deeply still.

Does anyone have experience with this caliber and reloading for hunting? I didn't want to muddy up my other thread on 9.3x62.

I have a cow elk hunting and black bear hunt coming that I wouldn't mind using my new 9.3x62 on, but want to load a bullet best for lighter/medium game. Bears are probably 150-300lbs here and cows are probably 350-550lbs.

Any advice? I like copper, but I am afraid they won't open well at lower speeds since I will be launching these around 2300fps I am guessing from my 20" barrel.

Thanks
Harley
you might check out the 240 gr Power Hammer bullet by Hammer Bullets out of Montana, the front section breaks off into 4 pieces after a few inches then the shank plows thru, works every time

Last edited:

Thanks
Harley
I use Barnes 180 grain TTSX in my .300 Wjn mag. Did a number on a 285 lb cow elk.

Here is our line of 9.3mm bullets. Any of these will do what you are asking. Make sure that you choose a bullet that you have enough twist to fully stabilize and your on game performance will be exceptional. I am running the 242gr in my 36 Nosler and used it to take a cow cape buffalo. Hard quarter to on the point of the shoulder and the bullet ended in the small intestines.

Here is our line of 9.3mm bullets. Any of these will do what you are asking. Make sure that you choose a bullet that you have enough twist to fully stabilize and your on game performance will be exceptional. I am running the 242gr in my 36 Nosler and used it to take a cow cape buffalo. Hard quarter to on the point of the shoulder and the bullet ended in the small intestines.
Mine is a Shaw 1:12 twist barrel so I am good there.

Honestly, on elk if you can't find a mono you want to use I'd be happy with the 286 grain Hornady Interlock bullet. While I don't have any real experience with the 9.3X62. I've done quite a bit of testing with the 270 grain IL in a .375 JDJ 26" barreled Encore rifle at around 2200 fps.

I ultimately chose the 260 grain NAB for my hunting bullet, but the IL was a close second. I shot quite a few IL bullets through my .375 Ruger as well. I have doubts you'll recover an IL bullet from a 9.3X62 on elk even at 300 yards. Unless you're shooting at extreme angles, but that bullet will penetrate deeply ststill.
I want to shoot something nicer, but part of my brain is just saying to just send it with the 286 Hornady Interlock. For the bear hunt I will probably have to because it is in about 3 weeks. For the elk hunt I have some more time.

Thanks
Harley
Within 350 yards I would use the Nosler Partitions, that's what they where made for and they work.

Woodleigh RNSP vs FMJ:

1722520967922.png

1722522532489.png

I have been running the 9.3 Woodleighs in the x57, x62 and the x64 for quite some time. While I prefer the 9.3x64 for general medium game hunting, I am enjoying both the 9.3x57 and a little bit of the 9.3x62 for deer and some of the larger elk.

The bullets above are either the Protected Point or the Round Nose Soft Point, both of which meet your criteria for range, velocity and impact (opening).

The 250 grain SP is superb for both the mild pressure and velocity range you're looking for. Energy numbers work out to 600 yards for minimum.

The only drawback I can note though is if you use heart shots, there will be little left to enjoy!

Enjoy the search and testing!

:)