Hornady pod cast on bonded bullets!

coop2564

Did you see hornadys latest podcast on CX and ELDX? They went into great detail on both models, pluses and minus. They answered some common questions about why they didn't bond the ELDX. Basically said the bonding process damages the bullet and you have to use a much thicker jacket, all of which make the bullets less accurate. If you go to the means to repair the damage the bonding makes the cost is too high. I'm not one to always agree with these guys. But my personal experiences have shown this as maybe valid. I have tried over and over in multiple rifles and calibers to try and use ABLR and have not found them consistent in grouping in any rifle yet. I can occasionally get a good group, but not consistently. If you have good for you. But I have not. Get many more unexplained fliers in the ABLR than the ELDX, SGK or berger. Thoughts?

Since Hornady isn't making a bonded bullet it stands for reason on why they say that. That being said I haven't tried any variety of the ABLR but regular accubond have been very easy for me to find a load for.
When Hornady made the interbond it was finicky about seating depth but with some tinkering they came around and are very accurate. I still shoot them in my 280 AI.
There's enough choices in bullets nowadays everyone can pick what works best for them.

Hornady often makes statements like this in their blogs. Jusy because they are not good at something does not mean somebody else is not. I never could get interbonds to shoot but always could get accubonds and sciroccos to. Accubonds in particular are very accurate as they are made by impact extrusion and do not have pure copper jackets and soft lead cores like Hornady says you "need" for bonding. The ablr is more finicky but they still shoot well for me in couple of 6.8W. That being said, there is truth that a cup and core bullet is going to be more accurate on average than a bonded bullet, particularly a thin uniform jacketed (no taper) c&c. That does not mean a bonded bullet cannot be accurate enough

Lou

I haven't tried the ABLR in any rifles as of yet and not sure I will. After working up loads with the 200 grain 30 cal eldx, 150 and 162 grain 7mm eldx's all three with minimal work up I'll keep using them. And they were available during the times that shall not be named. My first go around with the 145 eldx in a 270 win wasn't promising, but another powder is in order for testing, this 270 shot the precision hunter factory load as well as 140 accubond factory loads so hopefully a powder swap changes that tune and I can go on to what's next in line for load work up.

Recent Posts