7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hey guys I said last week that I was gonna go out Sat. and shoot to 400yds we did and it was a blast..we shot for about 5 hrs. It was HOT but we have an old "squirrel cage" fan and a piece of duct work on it to blow yellow jackets off us when we skin deer, and I added a piece of guttering..I would shoot 1 round with a gun and stick the barrel into the guttering and the air blowing through it cooled it down quickly, while we shot another gun. ( I didn't think about writing this when I started, but this fan really works I'll attach some pics 2morrow if antone would like to see the set up?)
Anyway back to the Ole STW...It shoots great out to 400 yds also.. about a 2 1/2" group...So what did I do today???, you guessed it, I had to shoot 500yds, so I went out with the ol chainsaw and go out another 100yds...I ain't got the target holder up yet BUT THE HARD WORK is done. I did shot 3 rds, but it was only at 493yds!! It shot a little over 4" group,, still less than a MOA... Tomorrow I'll put the target holder where it needs to be at 500yds...and shoot some more!!This is the 1st time I've ever got to practice shooting at these ranges and I'm VERY LUCKY to live in the South and be able to shoot to 500yds, and the best part is it is about 100yds from my back door!!!!!
Thanks for the knowledge I've gained about the behavior of the STW!!
Great shooting Sackett m glad to hear your having a blast cause thats what its all about,Im on a long weekend so Im planning on getting some trigger time in if it dont rain as bad as we need it.I like your idea with the fan, I know a guy and I wont mention his name because he is on this site (7STW......Hey Bob) that will put his guns in his truck with the air conditioner running to cool them down......Now thats dediated Im here to tell ya,We got some serious shooters here so im in good company Throw some pics up and once again great shootin

Mr. Sackett, good post, I'm going to be cutting trees down on the property I bought to get a long shooting lane. How'd you power the fan?

Ed

We have a skinnin shed that is more like an open barn, about 20'x30', it has electricity and water, we even put in a toliet for those emergencies,,lol anyway that is where I put the shootin bench under the shed, so I can shoot in the rain, and even better it will make a great rainy day deer stand out to 500yds!!!

I have been neglecting this thread way to long and though it was about time that I rectified that.

First I am a long time supporter of the 7 STW and starts shooting it before any commercial brass
was available and It was stilled called the 8mmx7mm.

The first one was a custom built with velocity in mind. It was based on an 1885 browning single
shot (Very short reciever) and a 31 Inch McMillan barrel with a 1 in 9 twist (My first mistake).

The rifle was intended to shoot 140 grain bullets and be very flat shooting.

There were several issues with it.one of them was the twist rate. At 3800+ ft/sec It started
to shed bullet jackets (This was before monolithic bullets were available) and in order to avoid
this problem I had to machine my own bullets but they would not work for hunting.

So I had to stay below 3800 ft/sec with factory bullets.

I also found out that at 300 yards and less I had to use partitions or Swift A Frames because
other bullets would all but explode.

For long distance (600 yards+)the ballistic tips would work well because velocity was down to
a reasonable level.

All my loads were MAX so I won't share them, but I did find that using a standard Large rifle
primer reduced SDs to single digits (06 to 09) and mag primers were 15 plus.

I have since built many 7 STWs on bolt actions with 26'' to 28'' barrels and with a 1 in 10 twist
and the problems have been solved.

Currently I have a light weight bolt action with a 26'' Lilja barrel and break and a thumb hole
HS stock and it is my long range hog rifle . It does a fine job on hogs and has taken 4 with one
shot and 3 several other times (When I can get them to line up ).

I have not read all of the other post yet but I intend to soon.

J E CUSTOM

I have been neglecting this thread way to long and though it was about time that I rectified that.

First I am a long time supporter of the 7 STW and starts shooting it before any commercial brass

The first one was a custom built with velocity in mind. It was based on an 1885 browning single
shot (Very short reciever) and a 31 Inch McMillan barrel with a 1 in 9 twist (My first mistake).

There were several issues with it.one of them was the twist rate. At 3800+ ft/sec It started
to shed bullet jackets (This was before monolithic bullets were available) and in order to avoid
this problem I had to machine my own bullets but they would not work for hunting.

I also found out that at 300 yards and less I had to use partitions or Swift A Frames because

For long distance (600 yards+)the ballistic tips would work well because velocity was down to
a reasonable level.

All my loads were MAX so I won't share them, but I did find that using a standard Large rifle

I have since built many 7 STWs on bolt actions with 26'' to 28'' barrels and with a 1 in 10 twist

Currently I have a light weight bolt action with a 26'' Lilja barrel and break and a thumb hole
HS stock and it is my long range hog rifle . It does a fine job on hogs and has taken 4 with one

J E CUSTOM
What kind of action did you build on?

shot (Very short reciever) and a 31 Inch McMillan barrel with a 1 in 9 twist (My first mistake).-----J E Custom---quote

How was the accuracy of the 1885??-- there is a 7mag here in town I've thought of buying and having the chamber reamed out. Or should I stay with the m700 and custom barrel I have already.

thats a interesting idea on keeping the yellowjackets/flys away , I have that problem with my sept elk hunt , a spray bottle with some vinegar and water works but u need one guy shooting :D

Hey guys I said last week that I was gonna go out Sat. and shoot to 400yds we did and it was a blast..we shot for about 5 hrs. It was HOT but we have an old "squirrel cage" fan and a piece of duct work on it to blow yellow jackets off us when we skin deer, and I added a piece of guttering..I would shoot 1 round with a gun and stick the barrel into the guttering and the air blowing through it cooled it down quickly, while we shot another gun. ( I didn't think about writing this when I started, but this fan really works I'll attach some pics 2morrow if antone would like to see the set up?)
Anyway back to the Ole STW...It shoots great out to 400 yds also.. about a 2 1/2" group...So what did I do today???, you guessed it, I had to shoot 500yds, so I went out with the ol chainsaw and go out another 100yds...I ain't got the target holder up yet BUT THE HARD WORK is done. I did shot 3 rds, but it was only at 493yds!! It shot a little over 4" group,, still less than a MOA... Tomorrow I'll put the target holder where it needs to be at 500yds...and shoot some more!!This is the 1st time I've ever got to practice shooting at these ranges and I'm VERY LUCKY to live in the South and be able to shoot to 500yds, and the best part is it is about 100yds from my back door!!!!!
Thanks for the knowledge I've gained about the behavior of the STW!!

Sackett, I was getting goosebumps when I read your thread. Now that's what I call " letting the air out, and letting stretch her legs kinda shootin". That is some cool $&@", for sure. But it is testament that these babies will shoot, near or far. And you are right about the greatness of the south for having the range to be able to do such a thing. I'm right there with you on that. Somewhere in my collection of stuff is a target I shot back in 1999' a couple of years after I got mine. I shot it at a 600 meter military range, and it measured just under 5 inches, and I repeated it two days later. That gun STILL shoots that load to this very day. Once you own one of these rifles that shoot, you are hopelessly addicted, and nothing else compares. They have there own finesse, and class, and to me, they are almost in a class of their own.
I own four of them, and presently load for five. I have plenty of other rifles, fine ones at that, but am drawn to these more than any other. Glad that you have a shooter. Welcome to the hopeless addiction, and the Brotherhood ' too!!!!

J E CUSTOM
I can't go to a regular lr primer here because I might pull the trigger at -20 deg. f..
I've seen a couple of stw's that like to run fast, but most are a bit over saami pressure doing so.
My current rifle doesn't like it over 3350 fps with 140's, and it doesn't like heat. That .3 moa load with the 171 barnes I had been shooting decided to go to 1.5 moa when it hit about 90 the other day. I've got to switch from rl25 to rl50 or retumbo and re-work it I bet.

a reasonable level.

J E CUSTOM

JE CUSTOM, well, on your last comment, that's means you have a lot of reading to do, over 1000 posts, and growing. This is a awesome thread, and we are and have had a " blast", pardon the pun, sharing experiences, and comments on everything from custom guns, to reloading tips, and hunting experiences. It is nice to have someone join the addition who has put a few together as well. Welcome aboard, and any and all comments are welcomed by all I'm sure!!

I find JE Custom's chime in interesting. For 1-300 yards and then 3-500 yards, what's a good bullet and speed with 140 grain shots on whitetail? and the same on tough hogs? Assume whitetail in temps from 15-55 degrees and hogs 30-80? Any thoughts, bullet and speed? It's nice to have meat left too.

I find JE Custom's chime in interesting. For 1-300 yards and then 3-500 yards, what's a good bullet and speed with 140 grain shots on whitetail? and the same on tough hogs? Assume whitetail in temps from 15-55 degrees and hogs 30-80? Any thoughts, bullet and speed? It's nice to have meat left too.

Aim right behind the point of the shoulder,,,and unless you eat heart and lungs you"ll be good!!! LOL!!! well it may bust up a few ribs, but not much meat there!!!

I went out today and finished up my backstop at 500 yards...LOOKS great, however I will not be able to go any further, so 500 it is!! Just as I finished up the skies let loose and it came a tremendous thunder Strom,,oh well we need the rain, but I WANTED TO SHOOT!! While I was sitting in the house watching it rain cats and dogs I began to think,,,We always pay attention to the wind, temp, humidity, and all those things when we shoot and there is tons of info out there about that, but what does a good ol steady rainfall do to a bullet??? I mean a heavy, heavy rain most likely we could not see those distances, but lets say it is a good hard steady rain and you can see to shoot 500 yards, anyone know what it will do to a bullet?? Just something I thought of,lightbulb,,I mean at shorter distances say 100-200 yds I know it don't make enough of a difference to miss a deer as I've killed many in that setup,...OK guys chime in and educate me and then I promise to check it out when the weather co-operates again...

It's OK if all you say is "There you go thinking again!!"" LOL!!!!

Last edited:

Recent Posts