7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Now that is an AWESOME BUILD!!! :D

Congrats Bob!

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

What is that rubber band on the barrel for?

Now how many 7STW rifles do you currently have?

Game hawker, this is the same rifle that I built about a month ago, but this is the intended stock that I wanted to use, but I borrowed the stock from my 700 Police rifle, when I first brought it home, just so I could shoot it.
That " rubber band" is actually a shadow of my antenna from my pickup. The sun was directly behind me when I took the pix,( which my Partner in crime , Butterbean, was so gracious to post for me, again Thanks). I am computer stupid.
I have not shot it in that stock, yet, but I know it will shoot as good as it did in the HS Precision Stock. She shoots less than .5 @ 100 yds, and about .62 @ 200, with 140 Barnes TSX. It also likes Hornady 154spire points, flat base. This is another rifle that likes RL25, and federal 215's.
I currently own 4, but load for 5, STW's. They all have their own personlitys, and the finickiest one is the Sako.
But, this one that I just built, is an absolute Sweetheart. It literally shot the first load that I shot out of it. And now, with this STOCK, this thing is a extension of thought. This gun was first concepted last summer, but I got sidetracked, and bought a 7 RUM, which is the dumbest thing I ever did. Anyway, got back on track, and this gun is EXACTLY what I wanted from the get go.
Anyway, take care, and let me know if you need anything.

7stw,

I'm right here, I'bve been reading posts, but not having much to say.

That's one sharp looking rig. I was looking at the Bobby Hart LRT stock for my rifle as well, but the black and grey laminate. I happened into the H-S-precision that it currently wears for quite a bit less.

Is the 6-18 Leupold a Vari-XIII ? I like the 30mm V-XIII series. I know that there are those who don't like them, but mine is the best I have and it's awesome.

I let my friend shoot my 7STW and the 180g Bergers (yesterday) and he turned out a 5 shot group that you could cover with a dime. I didn't do so well, but it's nice to see it can really shoot.

I didn't draw my bull Elk tag, so I'll have to hunt a open cow elk hunt, so I guess the 7stw will be up for that.

Later,

Dan

Dano, sorry to hear about the elk tag. Thanks for the compliment, and the same goes for your rig as well. The Leupold 6-18 is a VARI x II. You can tell a II from a III by the numbers. VARI X III scopes always have first power numbers that end in .5. Such as 4.5-14, 6.5-20, or 8.5-25. Etc. The VARI X III scopes are tough to beat. The VX series are right behind, as IMHO, I like the original VARI X series scopes better. That's just me, and someone else may have other opinions as well. I am also fond of Nikon Monarch series scopes as well. Great scope, 2/3 cost, lifetime warranty, no matter who owns it, or bought it.
Don't you hate it when someone else shoots YOUR gun better than you????. But then again, it is sort of flattering. That rig of yours is a monster, and I know it shoots out lites. This new one of mine, is impressively accurate, with no fuss. ( I like that).
When I was deciding on the color of the stock, I almost went with the grey and black one as well. But I truly like the " Warmth", of the color that I did decide on. I had a 22-250 years ago that had a laminated stock. The color was the same, as the one that I have now. BTW, the company that made the laminated stocks for Remington, is the same company that made this one. ( S K) . Anyway, I am pleased to say the least, and this gun to me is just about perfect. Thanks for the shout back, glad to hear from you again. Take care my friend!!

I was just lookin at her again. Very sweet. Where'd ya get than ammo pullover? How high is that Bipod? About how much does she weigh?

Ed, I got the pull over from Dicks sporting goods. They go for about $7. The bipod can go to 14 inches. It is NOT a Harris. It is a knock off, put out by Winchester. My wife bought it for me for Christmas at Wal- Mart. It has a little motion in it when I shoot from the bench, but most of the time, I use my Caldwell BR rest. I use it a lot when I clean, or to " show off " . ha ha .
As far as the weight, I haven't actually weighed it, but I am sure I'm in 10-12 lb range. This will be a " point rifle", certainly not a carry around. I hunt from box blinds, or ground blinds, mostly, where I have a adequate front rest. I do have other guns, that are lighter to carry, for other situations. Take care and I hope all is well.

The Bobby Hart stock and rifle looks great. I'll bet it's real stable when shooting. Congrats...

Ed, I was going to comment on the other post, but yes it iS very stable. It is wide at the forend, and fits into my front rest nice and snug. The whole stock is very well thought of, and really accommodates bench, or long-range hunting from a fixed position. Cheek weld is amazing, and height is just perfect. Nice recoil pad too. Inletting is very precise, and smooth. First class in every way. Very pleased!!

GUYS, can you believe that this thread NOW has 1000 responses??? And a Five Star rating to boot!!! I don't see it ending any time soon, as we are all STILL learning. But most of all, is the personalities, and the people that have gotten to know each other, all from the Brotherhood, sharing thoughts and info on a truly premier rifle bullet, and it's accompanying rifle. And it really has not been that long either. WOW. This has got to be a milestone. If it is not, is to me anyway!!! Take care to all.gun):):Dlightbulb

Ed, I was going to comment on the other post, but yes it iS very stable. It is wide at the forend, and fits into my front rest nice and snug. The whole stock is very well thought of, and really accommodates bench, or long-range hunting from a fixed position. Cheek weld is amazing, and height is just perfect. Nice recoil pad too. Inletting is very precise, and smooth. First class in every way. Very pleased!!

Bob,

What is the weight of the new stock compared to the Remington 700P stock that you originally had on the rig? I think the Remington 700P stock is the same stock as the Remington 700 Sendero stock.

Is it more or less?

Thanks!

I will have to agree with 7STW, This is an awesome site and braintrust here is awesome as well,Lots of well thought and range tested information and as he said Lots of great folks here and for me pesonally a great friendship ....I know I aint going anywhere

Bob,

What is the weight of the new stock compared to the Remington 700P stock that you originally had on the rig? I think the Remington 700P stock is the same stock as the Remington 700 Sendero stock.

Is it more or less?

Thanks!

It is just a tad more, but not really that much.

Gamehawker, I just re-read my comment, and your question about the 700 p, and sendero stock. As to the ones that I have owned, and now own, they ARE different. The palm swell is comparable, but the forend contour is different. The 700 P is fatter, and has more of a " belly", than the sendero stocks, both the original, or the SFII. Also, the butt stock seems to have a slightly different contour. They are all of the HS pro series stock line, but I believe the LE ones are just slightly different. Internally, it is the same , with that awesome aluminum bedding block, as well as effectively being pillar bedded as well. They truly are an awesome platform to an accurate rifle, and it is almost a certainty, that you gun probably will shoot it's best when shot from one of them. However, I have had SO many of them, that when I built this one, I decided that I wanted to return to a wooden stock, and the Bobby Hart LRT is just perfect. I am confident that it will shoot as good as the HS. The weight difference is minimal if any. Again, this will be a fixed position rifle, from a blind, that is accessed either by truck or foot.
I can tell you this, I will/ would buy another if the right barreled action comes my way, or if I build something else. ( imagine that) !!!! Take care !

GUYS, can you believe that this thread NOW has 1000 responses??? And a Five Star rating to boot!!! I don't see it ending any time soon, as we are all STILL learning. But most of all, is the personalities, and the people that have gotten to know each other, all from the Brotherhood, sharing thoughts and info on a truly premier rifle bullet, and it's accompanying rifle. And it really has not been that long either. WOW. This has got to be a milestone. If it is not, is to me anyway!!! Take care to all.gun):):Dlightbulb

All these posts and no name calling??? Gotta be some kind of record---or maybe just a bunch of guys learning from each other.

Regards,
Jim

Hey guys I said last week that I was gonna go out Sat. and shoot to 400yds we did and it was a blast..we shot for about 5 hrs. It was HOT but we have an old "squirrel cage" fan and a piece of duct work on it to blow yellow jackets off us when we skin deer, and I added a piece of guttering..I would shoot 1 round with a gun and stick the barrel into the guttering and the air blowing through it cooled it down quickly, while we shot another gun. ( I didn't think about writing this when I started, but this fan really works I'll attach some pics 2morrow if antone would like to see the set up?)
Anyway back to the Ole STW...It shoots great out to 400 yds also.. about a 2 1/2" group...So what did I do today???, you guessed it, I had to shoot 500yds, so I went out with the ol chainsaw and go out another 100yds...I ain't got the target holder up yet BUT THE HARD WORK is done. I did shot 3 rds, but it was only at 493yds!! It shot a little over 4" group,, still less than a MOA... Tomorrow I'll put the target holder where it needs to be at 500yds...and shoot some more!!This is the 1st time I've ever got to practice shooting at these ranges and I'm VERY LUCKY to live in the South and be able to shoot to 500yds, and the best part is it is about 100yds from my back door!!!!!
Thanks for the knowledge I've gained about the behavior of the STW!!

Recent Posts