7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

OK guys I've finally got my STW!!! Nothing fancy, BUT BOY DOES SHE SHOOT!!! It is a Remington 700, that was a 7mm Mag that developed a headspace problem.. therefore I bought a USED Remington barrel from this site for $40.00, that was orginally a 7mmMag, rechambered to 7mmSTW. (THANKS HOOKTURNR) I then put that barrel on my Rem 700 classic with one of those "Ole Plastic Stocks" that was glassbeded and floated, topped out with a Bushnell Elite 650 DOA 3-9 x50mm scope! I painted the stock. I started building my loads with 140gr CT Ballistic Silvertips went up from 78grs IMR 7828, with Federal large magnum 215 primers, with COL of 3.662. I went up one grain at a time. She shot well with 82 grs at 3/4inch at 100yards, BUT BOY DOES SHE SHOOT 81grs!! Just one big hole!! Going out 2morrow to shoot it out to 400 yards...gun)

View attachment 10759
View attachment 10762

here is 82grs
View attachment 10760

NOW HERE IS THE LOAD!! 3 SHOT GROUP AT 100 YDS!
View attachment 10761

I have been out of town for a few days and am just now catching up on " our " site. I must say that you carry a fine " stick" , and better yet, it SHOOTS. I like the finish, and how you did it is pretty cool as well.
I would say your 81 grain load is a keeper, and the powder you have chosen, and the bullet as well are good ones. Great looking and shooting rifle!! And more important, and awesome caliber.
This site has a pretty good " brain trust" , but from what I can see, you don't need much advice!!! All the best of luck to you, and welcome aboard!!!!!

Anyone of you guy's have a Cooper Model 56 in Jackson hunter chambered in 7mm STW? Or an Excalibur in the same?

I just looked at one, they are sweet, not cheap though. I am a fan of 3 lug designs with short bolt throws. Sako is the best I'd say. I have 2 Browning A-bolts, one in 7 wsm and it is awesome too. My only issue with buying a rifle today, is long term customize ability. It seems that the Remington and Winchester markets and Savage to a lesser degree are the best idea. Barrels, triggers, stocks, mag systems, without aftermarket players, it's hard to keep a firearm going. I for one will only buy one that can be customized and possibly by me. Finding good gunsmiths is getting harder too. My only exception is a firearm that is so good that has a distinguishable after market value. Sako's fall into the category and a few others. Ruger No 1's, Blaser single shots, there are more I guess. But that's my take right now. Check out Gunbroker and see how rifles trade in the after market.

Anybody have a take on Howa actions, I've been looking at some. Is the action and aftermarket parts worth looking at? They are priced right.

Lighten the collection, reduce it to exactly the keepers you want. I am lighteneing my collection now because I want a high end custom Ruger No 1 in 300 Weatherby. Take a look at what I'm going to have to sell along with adding savings to get. Custom everything including a custom machined adjustable trigger, Kreiger barrel etc.

Custom Ruger No. 1 Rifle Now Available | Latest News | Hill Country Rifles

My STW stays though, it will still remain as my go to long range weapon.

Maybe the ruger will be an STW too, caliber still undecided.

Here is the other pics.

Attachments

• 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 26
Anybody have a take on Howa actions, I've been looking at some. Is the action and aftermarket parts worth looking at? They are priced right.
Sounds like their sibling- the new vanguard is gaining a following. I had an older vanguard and it was probably the least accurate rifle I've owned, and the trigger felt like it was full of sand. It sounds like howa and wby have gotten their stuff together somewhat better, but I still don't like the kool-aid after I've tasted it once.

Recent Posts