7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Mr. Sackett,

I'm 54, so that's respect. Great shooting, I'll bet the loads are clocking pretty high, especially in this heat if it were in NY I was getting bolt sticks last weekend on some loads..

I really like the look of the rifle, great paint job, maybe share how you did it. I just got a Winchester 7WSM in a model 70 CRPF that I wanted and it needs a paint job. I'd like to make it look like yours. Very sharp, this gun is going to be a woods whitetail, hog rifle, 350 yds and less. It will probably shoot longer, but that's what my STW does.

Let me know the details of the paint colors and brand.

Thanks,
Ed

I tried to post some pics of my 7STW but it would not take them.I am no computer wiz so I'm sure I did something wrong.Anyway I have two,my first is a Sendero that I got when Remington introduced it for sale to the public.My second and the one I tried to post pics of is a 700 CDL that I bought as a 7mm Rem. Mag Boone & Crockett Edition.I took it straight to my smith and had the chamber cut for the STW.I took it out of the beautiful laminated stock,put a Rifle Basix trigger in set at 5oz.,my smith made sure everything was nice and square.He built and installed one of his muzzle brakes.I put it in a Blackhawk Knoxx Axiom stock,and topped it with a 6x18x40 Shepherd P1 scope in Leupold rings and base.This rifle shoots so well as a hunting rifle,a head shot on a doe,or busting a coyote at 400yds is like an extension of thought.I have taken deer and yotes with it beyond 600.I shoot my hand loads only which are 3.730 col,have to shoot it as a single they don't fit the magazine,it's set up with free bore.I use Remington brass,85.3grs. of IMR7828ssc,a 116gr. GS Custom lathe turned moly coated copper bore riding driving band style bullet,lit with a CCI LR Mag primer.It shoots an honest 3950+or- just a couple fps.A three shot cloverleaf at 200 on a good day for the shooter is easily possible.......... I am going to let my wife play with this computer and maybe we can get some pics......

The easiest way I found to post pictures are with photobucket.Just create an acct.,upload the picture from your computer,click on the box below the picture,a box will pop up,click copy,then paste it on your post.

I tried to post some pics of my 7STW but it would not take them.I am no computer wiz so I'm sure I did something wrong.Anyway I have two,my first is a Sendero that I got when Remington introduced it for sale to the public.My second and the one I tried to post pics of is a 700 CDL that I bought as a 7mm Rem. Mag Boone & Crockett Edition.I took it straight to my smith and had the chamber cut for the STW.I took it out of the beautiful laminated stock,put a Rifle Basix trigger in set at 5oz.,my smith made sure everything was nice and square.He built and installed one of his muzzle brakes.I put it in a Blackhawk Knoxx Axiom stock,and topped it with a 6x18x40 Shepherd P1 scope in Leupold rings and base.This rifle shoots so well as a hunting rifle,a head shot on a doe,or busting a coyote at 400yds is like an extension of thought.I have taken deer and yotes with it beyond 600.I shoot my hand loads only which are 3.730 col,have to shoot it as a single they don't fit the magazine,it's set up with free bore.I use Remington brass,85.3grs. of IMR7828ssc,a 116gr. GS Custom lathe turned moly coated copper bore riding driving band style bullet,lit with a CCI LR Mag primer.It shoots an honest 3950+or- just a couple fps.A three shot cloverleaf at 200 on a good day for the shooter is easily possible.......... I am going to let my wife play with this computer and maybe we can get some pics......
Sound like a couple of awesome rigs........Lookig forward to the pics......How do the 116's hold up on deer?

purpledragon, your rifle sounds outstanding. To get that speed and accuracy is mind boggling to think that the bullet still holds together. I'm impressed with you finding bullets like that too. What does it do to whitetail at 600 yards. entry exit, expand and such? That axiom stock, does it twist and turn? it looks cool, but can it really handle the torque? Have you shot heavier bullets with it too?

Mr. Sackett,

I'm 54, so that's respect. Great shooting, I'll bet the loads are clocking pretty high, especially in this heat if it were in NY I was getting bolt sticks last weekend on some loads..

I really like the look of the rifle, great paint job, maybe share how you did it. I just got a Winchester 7WSM in a model 70 CRPF that I wanted and it needs a paint job. I'd like to make it look like yours. Very sharp, this gun is going to be a woods whitetail, hog rifle, 350 yds and less. It will probably shoot longer, but that's what my STW does.

Let me know the details of the paint colors and brand.

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks Ed for the compliments and for getting us the brass!! Thanks to all you guys for the knowledge that I,ve gained from this thread!!

Ed, I first removed the barrel and action from the stock, then sanded the stock with a medium grade sandpaper maybe 120 grit or there about. Don't be shy about sanding the rougher the better!! I then taped over the barrel channel and action area, then taped up the checkering and buttpad. I used an old coat hanger and hung the stock up with that & I painted it with Rust-Oleum American Accents Stone Textured paint, I used Gray, but the Green looked good too!!( may do my .257 Roberts in green?). I got my paint at Wal-Mart, about $7.00 or $8.00. NOW MOST IMPORTANT!! Don't touch it for 3 or 4 days, allow the paint to really dry on there! I then taped around the checkering and painted the checkering with LIQUID ELECTRICAL TAPE. two (2) good coats, again from the automotive section at Wal-Mart, $4.00 or $5.00!! This stuff dries really quick, I still let mine dry several hours before handling it!gun)

The job looks really professional and the materials sound great. I'm off to Walmart, sounds like fun. It's nice to create something with a little elbow grease. Every buck you save could be another animal in the freezer or fun shooting at a target. I'll put mine up in a few weeks.
Thanks Sackett...

The 116's work great.Look up GS Custom bullets,I shoot the HV's I also have the 130's but have not found a need for them.All the deer I've taken with them were DRT.Have a look at them,they are pricey but the gain in velocity and lower pressure that they give,is worth it to me,and the BC's are really decent.The 130 HV"s give me more velocity with the same charge as a 120 barnes.Also you will get longer barrel life with these bullets due to their design and lower pressure,they are bore riders.The only thing touching the rifling is the 5 little driving bands.I actually took one to prove to a know it all,put it in the muzzle and tapped it all the way through,with a wooden dowel and very small wooden mallet.Hope to have some pics up today...............

The bullets perform very well I have yet to recover one from a deer,even at 540and change that was the longest on a deer with the 116gr. I shot a yote or two at 600 630. I have the 130gr GS's also they hit harder than the 116's,but I don't usually shoot them as DRT is DRT and I like the fast bullet.I posted some velocities I got from this rifle on another site that I am a member,and was all but called an out right liar.I just put what my green chrony master said the avg. for three shots was.The guy that argued me blue..........had no idea the gain and advantages the driving band bore riding bullet give you................PD