7 PRC velocity

drtony

Hello,

I'm hoping to get my first elk this fall out west. My buddy lives out there and he swears by the ELDM and Berger bullets. THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT BULLET CHOICES

I am using my 7PRC, and my load development time this summer was cut short with some family stuff that came up. Anyway, I am using CCI 250 primers, ADG brass, 180gr ELDM, and H1000 powder. I loaded 20 thousands off the lands and my 66.5gr powder load shot .3" groups. my velocity was 2847.8 fps

Should I be trying to get more velocity? Or stick to this load due to the accuracy?

What range does 2848fps get for me ek sized game? I am capped at 700 yards because that's as far as I can practice.

I'd leave it as is. So late in the year you have accuracy and good speed. I'd load a pile and get to wearing it out to your max range. I didn't run the numbers but it has to be above 1800 to 700 or at least pretty darned close. If you can make the shot it'll work.

Accuracy over speed in my book. Speed is nice but if the gun shoots like crap going fast speed is worthless. I think you have plenty of energy just doing a rough calculation with Hornadys app.

Attachments

• IMG_3178.png
    IMG_3178.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 5
I would take a .3MOA group @ 2800+ over a 1" group @ 2900+ all day long.

I think you should be able to wring out another 100fps, but not until AFTER your hunt. And ONLY if it stays at the current accuracy expectations.

thank you for the replies. I use Eagle ballistics and here is the table.

Shows 2105 for and 1771 ft lbs at 700

Attachments

• IMG_5352.png
    IMG_5352.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 1

Recent Posts