6.5 PRC Sherman Improved

bsnyder

Well after using the search function and not finding much pertaining to much of this particular chambering i thought i would start one that us prc improved owners can share load data, build ideas and other things pertaining to this chambering. Id also like to know how many others are out there? I know lance has one. I have one but im not sure who esle has one. I have to be vague do to the fact that mine is a surprise for someone else and the interwebs are easily searched by most. my plan is to start with the 144 berger. we tried out the new manners LRH stock which feels fantastic! it came in alittle heavier than i wanted but only by about a half a pound. so sound off guys what are your favorite loads. Hopefully this weekend i can start fireforming some AGD brass and see what these benchmark barrels are made of. I will update my results with fireforming loads and speeds. we are starting with 145 barnes match burners and a 26 inch bench mark. I will not be posting pictures though for a few months.

I was interested in doing that what dies are you gonna use? I haven't found anybody that makes a fl resizer die.

So, what is the gain in case capacity? 2-3%? In my view the only reason to 'cat this cartridge is to change calibers in an action like the ULW, which is stuck at the .473 bolt face. I contacted WBY asking where they thought this might go, and they said .338 would be their max with this case in their action. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.

@lancetkenyon has a great write up I will try to find the link. It wasn't so much about the gain for me as it was about not many other having one. I have soon to be 6 of riches wildcats and they are the easiest to load for. With the prc improved reamer I don't worry about clickers. The dies are amazing. Call me a fan boy if you like but I'm more than happy with the results I've gotten in the last. I look forward to seeing what this one will do. Here the link to Lance's results

So, what is the gain in case capacity? 2-3%? In my view the only reason to 'cat this cartridge is to change calibers in an action like the ULW, which is stuck at the .473 bolt face. I contacted WBY asking where they thought this might go, and they said .338 would be their max with this case in their action. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.
Lance ran two identical rifles with identical components side by side. The least gain by any powder/bullet combo was 70' and the most was 175'.
The average gain was over 100' with no clickers and less case stretching. Another nice feature is you can shoot shelf ammo very accurately.

20221104_202041.jpg

20221118_151050.jpg

20221116_131623.jpg

20221120_135155.jpg

20230129_083830.jpg

My build:
Kelbly Nanook SA mag bolt
22" 1:7.5" 5R Bartlein #13 CF
Manners LRH
TriggerTech Diamond @ 5oz
Hawkins M5 Oberndorf BDL
Wyatt's 6.5PRC box and follower
TBAC CB w TBAC Ultra 7 6.5mm
ARC M10 30mm "low" rings
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15x50 Gen 2XR
Flatline Ops level

I did all my testing with 20pcs of Lapua 6.5PRC brass. I had 13x firings on them, and they are still usable. Primer pockets are not "new tight", but are still going strong, and I have run them all up into pressure max.
Fire forminng loads are crazy accurate. This is 4 shots w. Berger Elite Hunters @ 2818fps (from a 22").

CAP6383246189554242070.jpg

Ballistic-X-Export-2022-11-06 08_06_00.465342.jpg

I ran the 140s up to 3168fps safely at max, and 3192fps where I hit pressure. My final hunting load is at 3077fps with a moderste but extremely accurate charge weight of RL23.

This was 2 weekends ago. I misspoke in the video on velocity. I shot it over the Labradar the next day and got the 3077 fps average w. ES of 8 over 12 shots.

Lance ran two identical rifles with identical components side by side. The least gain by any powder/bullet combo was 70' and the most was 175'.
The average gain was over 100' with no clickers and less case stretching. Another nice feature is you can shoot shelf ammo very accurately.
It would nice to see this test but in the same barrel, rechambered, to eliminate a major variable. Has anyone ever done it this way?

Those are some great looking rifles!
While I agree that is the best way for comparison testing. There is no need, after reviewing the thorough testing Lance has done and going off all of PO Ackleys results, as well as all the cases Rich has shermanized over the years. Its safe to assume a cartridge that has a 4.1% increase in case capacity over the parent case with less taper and a 40* shoulder will give you a 75-125fps increase in velocity.

Plus building 2 rifles at a time is more Lances style 😎

Those are some great looking rifles!
While I agree that is the best way for comparison testing. There is no need, after reviewing the thorough testing Lance has done and going off all of PO Ackleys results, as well as all the cases Rich has shermanized over the years. Its safe to assume a cartridge that has a 4.1% increase in case capacity over the parent case with less taper and a 40* shoulder will give you a 75-125fps increase in velocity.

Plus building 2 rifles at a time is more Lances style 😎
Respectfully, I don't share your thoughts on no need for comparison testing. ;) Is there a file dump that contains all of this data? Thanks!