Excuse my ignorance 6.5 Ackley Improved = 6.5 Sherman?

Darryle

I have a McWhorter built 6.5-280 Ackley Improved. I have the load data from McWhorter for the 140gr Berger VLD that shoots in the .3 range. Looking for data using different powders and bullets I ran across a post from here stating that the 6.5 Ackley Improved is the 6.5 Sherman, is this correct and I can use that data for different components? I just want to have back up data for this rifle if current components become completely unavailable, my current load uses N165 powder and the 140gr VLD Hunting bullet which is also part of the furnished data from McWhorter and I just see very little data for that powder. The Sherman data I have seen does not reference that powder at all.

Thanks Darryle

That is what I shoot just start with the 6.5-06 AI data and work from there I run reloader 23 in mine the capacity difference between the two is small when you need brass look at the peterson 280 ackley brass far superior to nosler

The 280AI has slightly more H2O capacity than the 06. See attached from RCBS Software cartridge designer. The capacity depends upon the neck taper of the 280 AI as well. On average it looks like about 2 gr of H2O difference between the 280AI and the 06. Then again H2O case capacity is further dependent upon brass manufacturer as well. +1 on Peterson brass!

Attachments

• RCBS-280AI-30-06.H2O.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 230
You can check with elkaholic, the creator of the Sherman cartridges, but the .30-06AI is about 5% greater capacity than the parent. The Sherman is about 10% greater capacity. Your version should be greater than the AI and less than the Sherman. Probably a little closer to the AI, as the Sherman has most of the case taper taken out.

Starting with AI data and working up is good advice.

The 6.5 SS is based on the WSM case and has a magnum case head/base diameter. The .280/.280 AI is based on the .30-'06 case with a .473" case head. Even if the case capacity is the same (I don't know how close they are) you cannot necessarily substitute load data of one for the other. The case geometry is quite different and powder burn characteristics can be a bit different.

The 6.5 SS is based on the WSM case and has a magnum case head/base diameter. The .280/.280 AI is based on the .30-'06 case with a .473" case head. Even if the case capacity is the same (I don't know how close they are) you cannot necessarily substitute load data of one for the other. The case geometry is quite different and powder burn characteristics can be a bit different.

With so many Sherman cartridges, the naming can be a little confusing. The OP is asking about the 6.5 Sherman, which is based off the 270 Win or 280 Rem cases. The 6.5 Sherman will have a bit more case capacity than the 6.5-06 AI.

6.5 Sherman Short (SS or SST) based off shortened SAUM cases.

6.5 Max is based off the SAUM and is basically a 6.5 SAUM Improved.

Then you can get into the Sherman Magnum (28, 30, 33) which are based off the 300 PRC case.

With so many Sherman cartridges, the naming can be a little confusing. The OP is asking about the 6.5 Sherman, which is based off the 270 Win or 280 Rem cases. The 6.5 Sherman will have a bit more case capacity than the 6.5-06 AI.

6.5 Sherman Short (SS or SST) based off shortened SAUM cases.

6.5 Max is based off the SAUM and is basically a 6.5 SAUM Improved.

Then you can get into the Sherman Magnum (28, 30, 33) which are based off the 300 PRC case.
Ah...thanks for the clarification.

My bad I missed it that it was a 30-06AI and so here are the comparisons of 280AI versus 30-06AI. From the RCBS program they are virtually identical in H2O capacity but again this is highly dependent upon brass manufacturer.

Attachments

• RCBS.280AI-30-06AI.H2O.pdf
    119 KB · Views: 208
03A29DAC-4862-475C-A418-11100E0E6DAA.png

Left to Right 25SST, 6.5PRC, 6.5SS, 300SAUM, 270WSM, 30-06, 6.5Sherman

Thanks for the information!

I noticed that the velocities are all over the place on Ammo Guide and Load data while using the same bullet and various powders. The current furnished load data is averaging 3100fps with Berger 140gr VLD hunting bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.