6.5-284 load development (changing powder)

I am currently shooting the 147 eldm out of my new 6.5-284 norma. I have a 26 inch barrel. So far, my best load has been 55.4 grains of retumbo at .015 off the lands. I do not know my muzzle velocity. I just picked up some reloder 26. Can someone help me out with how much speed I will gain if I switch to RL26? I am using federal 210m primers and lapua brass. Thanks!

Without knowing your fps with retumbo and guessing at fps with rl26....
Let's just say your best accuracy will still be around the same fps...
Maybe 50- 100 fps gain if you rifle likes rl26.....

I am currently shooting the 147 eldm out of my new 6.5-284 norma. I have a 26 inch barrel. So far, my best load has been 55.4 grains of retumbo at .015 off the lands. I do not know my muzzle velocity. I just picked up some reloder 26. Can someone help me out with how much speed I will gain if I switch to RL26? I am using federal 210m primers and lapua brass. Thanks!
I would be surprised if you see much of a gain. You just use less 26 then retumbo but the volume in the case can make retumbo show a lower sd and es. Only way to know is test. In my rifles they wound up shooting the same velocity with a slight gain with 26.
Personally for a long range rifle good velocity with low sd is what you want to achieve. Not necessarily the highest velocity.

Having recently completed a new 6.5x284 build, I decided to do some testing with R26. Most of my prior loadwork using VLD style bullets in the 140-143gr weight range has been with H4831sc(targets), Retumbo(Hunting). While I have tried other powders in this burn range, and they can work, my best accuracy and ES was achieved with these temperature stable powders which have proven to give very consistent performance over several years with my 6.5x284 rifles. I did little a work over the summer months with R26 but found that my velocities were inconsistent at +80F with +30FPS variations. With other reports claiming similar temperature variations at warm temperatures, I figured that I'd try it again in the cooler months, more in line with my hunting temperatures. Recent testing of R26 at temperatures in the 30-50F range proved to be more consistent. Velocity was the same, but ES was equal or better then Retumbo in most cases with my new barrel.. At these temperatures, 54.8gr of a R26 would produce velocities in the 3050FPS range with Berger 140 HVLD's, same as 58gr of Retumbo. While near max, no pressure signs were seen at these charge weights. While I probably could do more fine tuning, Retumbo produced better and more consistent accuracy, but the ES of R26 was a bit better. Since I prefer to run my velocity in the 2975-3000FPS range, backing off 1gr of powder of each delivers this velocity range with the same accuracy/ES results.

IMG_1920.JPG
We have been trying N 560 in my 6.5 X 284 and it seems to be what I'm looking for?
I think with a little fine tuning it will be right there! 140 JMK VLD's in
a 28" 8 twist barrel with a Area 419 break.

Last edited:
I found a velocity node in my Cooper Jackson LR, 26" barrel. I loaded in the middle of that node for a seating depth test and found .025" jump to work well.
The original velocity test was shot without my suppressor, the seating depth test was shot with suppressor so I'm guessing my velocity is approximately 30 +/- fps faster

Attachments

• IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 130
Another thought I have is if you truly want more speed, why not try a 130 grain bullet? I would recommend the 135 Berger, but it is tough to find. Even if it is a match bullet you could try it out and see what speed you get. Just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.