6.5-284 load development (changing powder)

I've been using 48.2 grains of IMR 4350 for the longest time with 140 grain Berger and I've been getting 2950 fps ot of a 26 inch Hart barrel seated just off the lands and have no issues with temperature variations.

My 1st 1K BR gun was chambered in 6.5-284, and I wore out a third of that barrel chasing ES, so finally I just bought a butt load of H-4831-SC, and have used that for every gun/barrel, target or hunting since.

When I put my last 6.5-284 together, there were no 140 Bergers to be had. Since I had a pile of 130 VLD's, I went with those instead. Accuracy and velocity met at 3150 in the 26" Bartlein.

n91pPwe.jpg

My 1st 1K BR gun was chambered in 6.5-284, and I wore out a third of that barrel chasing ES, so finally I just bought a butt load of H-4831-SC, and have used that for every gun/barrel, target or hunting since.

When I put my last 6.5-284 together, there were no 140 Bergers to be had. Since I had a pile of 130 VLD's, I went with those instead. Accuracy and velocity met at 3150 in the 26" Bartlein.

n91pPwe.jpg
3150 is really humming. What's your load data?

Another thought I have is if you truly want more speed, why not try a 130 grain bullet? I would recommend the 135 Berger, but it is tough to find. Even if it is a match bullet you could try it out and see what speed you get. Just a thought.
I would but I'm not sure how well id stabilize with a 1:7

Speed is not everything but we are addicted to it.

I truly believe you can find a load that works well with any powder and any bullet combo. It just takes time to find the node/barrel time the combo likes.

What I have found is that longer barrels and heavier bullets tend to respond the best to slower burn powders. When I run RL 26 in my 28" to max with a 147 it runs 3150. The load I run is 3015 fps with a 8 es and 3 sd. It seems to be a pretty safe load. That same powder charge with a 140 is 3100. This load in a 24" barrel with a 140 is 3000. I have similar results with retumbo. I would like to try some enduron in the future and see how it performs, I have heard really good reports so far.

If you are not happy with the speed and want to stick with a heavier bullet step out of the box and run a magnum powder. You have very little to lose giving it a shot and you might be surprised at the results. I was

What do you mean? There is no such thing as over stabilizing and in order to hit a high enough rpm to rip the bullet apart will never happen with a 130.
I mean the only thing he may run into is overpressure signs sooner due to the tighter twist.

My hunting pards built/bought 6.5x284's for our Wyoming trip last October. Both of them used a load with (IIRC) 54.2 grains R23 and the 130 Accubond in Nosler brass. Velocity was right around 3,075 fps in both rifles. Worked like a charm!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.