50 BMG Improved

Going back to H50bmg is better.
50bmgIMP_load6.png

Take a look at Kirby Allen's 510 Allen Magnum. Looks like a 50BMG Improved and he says 150-200fps increase is no problem.

25078807.jpg

Not sure if the link will work, if not go to asprifles.com. The guy knows his stuff.

Take a look at Kirby Allen's 510 Allen Magnum. Looks like a 50BMG Improved and he says 150-200fps increase is no problem.

Not sure if the link will work, if not go to asprifles.com. The guy knows his stuff.

Did you mean apsrifles.com?

Please allow me just a very slight sidebar, only because I was just on the Allen site. I think that 338 Allen Xpress might have to be my next chambering. Supersonic to 2650 yds with a 255g Flatline is exactly what I have been looking for in all these ELR threads., target only.

Please allow me just a very slight sidebar, only because I was just on the Allen site. I think that 338 Allen Xpress might have to be my next chambering. Supersonic to 2650 yds with a 255g Flatline is exactly what I have been looking for in all these ELR threads., target only.

Another side bar....

I have one of his rifles in .270Allen Magnum and it is a beautiful piece of machinery. It's not exactly a "mountain rifle" and not for the effeminate, as it's 14lbs without scope or add-on's, but this dog hunts! you hear me. I shoot it sparingly at targets (170gn Berger) along with a 6.5-284 Norma (147gn ELD-M)and .300 WinMag (212gn ELD-X). The later two I had first and had grown accustomed to their 19-20 MOA come-ups at 1k (300yd zero) and when I cranked the AM up and was only using 14-15 MOA at that distance, I knew I had a jewel! Last year I ran those 170's at 3450fps but decided to drop a "couple three" grains of US-869 and running it at a modest 3250fps now. Don't think these little NC whitetails will know the difference. :) JohnnyK.
P.S. Kirby is there to answer any and all of your questions.

I can give you some real world numbers on a 50BMG Improved version of my own design. With the 750 Amax and Reloader 50 powder I can achieve 3050 FPS easily with a 36" barrel and case life in the 6-10 firings range before the pockets start to loosen. You may be able to make 10-15 if you stay closer to the 3000 FPS mark. If you want to push the limits you can get 3200 FPs but case life is in the 1-2 Firing range. My gunsmith shoots them at 3160 FPS for his hunting loads and case life is in the 3-4 Firing range. All velocities are from 36" barrels. They are not only fast but accurate. I have fired 5 shot groups as small as 3" at 1000 yards in competition at the 3050 FPS velocity from my rifle.

are yo by any chance going to war
I feel like you're joking but to put that in perspective; we're always at war. Either somewhere around the globe, defending our liberty and our way of life or spiritual war, defending our souls and families against Satan and the evil he brings upon mankind.
This is what we do here at LRH, it's our passion and what we are constantly pursuing. Never satisfied with yesterday's results, pushing and striving for the best, limited by time and money. Kirby expressed it best; "Faster, Flatter and Farther than ever before". Cheers. :) JohnnyK.

I feel like you're joking but to put that in perspective; we're always at war. Either somewhere around the globe, defending our liberty and our way of life or spiritual war, defending our souls and families against Satan and the evil he brings upon mankind.
This is what we do here at LRH, it's our passion and what we are constantly pursuing. Never satisfied with yesterday's results, pushing and striving for the best, limited by time and money. Kirby expressed it best; "Faster, Flatter and Farther than ever before". Cheers. :) JohnnyK.

Yes you got me, i was clearly joking...i myself got a lot stored...i own two scar 17 rifle, Barrett M99, two leupold and 3 NF scope, a russian SVD sniper, Romanian PSL, HK416, hk93, hkp7mk13, fn 5.7, STI pistol i use for long range shooting, a springfield TRP, kimber ultra and trust me i can go on, i also have preserved food, i have store ammo, lots and lots of it all legal, no black market stuff. i know CPR, i know how to fix broken bone, i know how to herbs to fix infected wound. you see, we have a lot in Common and thats why we are here, thats why we are partner. (smiles)

Can you share you gunsmiths info. I would like to have my 50 rebarreled?

Fred - pray tell why you could not just change the powder to RL50 and recalc? I can think of exactly zero reasons why you are "forced" to go to a larger bullet. I have never run into such a problem and can't imagine QuickLOAD does not immediately support changing powders on the fly.

Also, I suggest you ask TH what barrel length he expects to be using - only a few of us are ready to go all the way to 45". Seems reasonable that the results will be more useful to him.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.