50 BMG Improved

Can you share you gunsmiths info. I would like to have my 50 rebarreled?
TH - last I heard, Kirby is out 2 years + on full builds and is not accepting anything other than full builds. BTW, his cartridge designs are proprietary - meaning he has the reamer and any time you want another barrel you get back in his queue - unclear whether the lead time for just a chambering job would be prior customer (2 yrs + - less or more?).

I don't think there is any reason to use a 45 thinking 36 to 40
I suggest Fred just run QL using a 36" barrel. Once you get the numbers there its one change to see what going to 40" would buy you. Please also note that once you go beyond 36" you have cut the number of barrel makers available probably in half.

Thanks ELR

I guess I will have to talk to Dave Kiff and have a reamer made. I'm not going to wait 2 years.

TH - I just re-read your posts in this thread and found you are looking at a re-barrel, not a full build. That question answered.

The main problem with a proprietary cartridge is that you have ZERO control over if and when you can get a follow up barrel. Anything under heaven could happen to cut you off. Having you own reamer puts YOU in control. The performance may not be the same but it might not be much different.

Please also note that what Fred suggested was just one of many possible designs - different base-to-shoulder length and/or body taper, 40 degree vs 37 (resale issue for a potential buyer that "must" have 40), and all the possible tricks that can be applied in the throat area. If you are an FCSA member, ask for a Improved designs on the Members Only forum. The .50 Williams and Williams/Burtt 50 Improved come to mind. If you are not a member, you're long past the point to invest in a membership - and the resource pool that goes with it.

BTW, what is you application - FCSA (if so, check the regs on "improved" versions and what class that may drop you into), unlimited range (URSA), or?

Improved versions of the 50 can be shot in both Heavy and Unlimited classes at any FCSA sanctioned matches. My gunsmith is Mark King and he has the reamers for the 50TK Improved case that I previously spoke about. Quick load has it's place and does a good job with many things but it is not the final answer. Load testing and actual range time gives you the real world definitive answers. Those things simply cannot be replaced by computer programs. Having your own reamers is a definite plus because no matter who you have do your gun work you will always have the same chamber to go with your die set.

Tilden

Fred - pray tell why you could not just change the powder to RL50 and recalc? I can think of exactly zero reasons why you are "forced" to go to a larger bullet. I have never run into such a problem and can't imagine QuickLOAD does not immediately support changing powders on the fly.

Also, I suggest you ask TH what barrel length he expects to be using - only a few of us are ready to go all the way to 45". Seems reasonable that the results will be more useful to him.
This is a place where QuickLoad falls down. Usually pressure is correct, velocity is way off. The bigger the case capacity the worse the error.

Some day, I have to fill out my FCSA application. I can run numbers for any length barrel. That is just one click.

Hello,

TK50...are you "sharp shooter" on the hide?
If so you may want to contact lrs50bmg on the hide. He is a former President of the FCSA and FCSA Board of Directors member. He has more BMG time than anyone I know of.

THEIS

Last edited:
No I am not. There are a number of people on the FCSA members Forum and a lot of other long range sites that are a wealth of actual practical information from testing and match shooting with the 50cal. In my opinion computer programs have there place but simply cannot even begin to approach the knowledge gained from actual shooting. The subtle nuances learned while shooting in matches and testing are where many top shooters separate themselves from the average shooter. It applies to all calibers and long range shooting. Experimentation is where advancements are made in equipment as well as components, loading technics and discoveries of new outside of the box revelations. In the end we all reap the benefits when some of those things are shared with the rest of us. Of course not everything gets shared, some things are kept by the individual as there edge on the competition. But many things do eventually make it to the mainstream.

Tilden

Nevermind lol, misread original posters name.

My question was supposed to be to TH in regards to being on the hide.

THEIS

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.