50 BMG Improved

Well, I'm into such things. I don't have one. I have a 50 DTC/Euro. Which is a shortened and slightly improved 50bmg.

Since I don't have what you are asking about but I am interested, I'm going to work it up in QuickDesign and QuickLoad.

First point: My QuickDesign and QuickLoad model for the 50BMG produces 2806fps for a Hornady 750 A-Max and 231 grains of H50BMG using a 45" barrel. Hogdgon website publishes 2800fps for the same load.

My model matches published data.

That is as good as it gets to make a comparison. Also important to note before anyone starts criticizing my data model and results. My 338/26-Nosler models were within 1fps results vs. real from the Magnetospeed 3 reading.

The point is I seem to be able to repeat that my model results match real world results. This takes a lot of work and attention to details in the modeling process and QuickLoad settings.

Also

I have the opinion that the only way you could prove the gain would be to build a rifle in 50BMG, establish the velocities per powder charge as a % of case volume. Then ream the same barrel to 50BMG Improved and run the same series of charges as a % of case volume.

That is what I will do in QuickLoad then if anyone wants to repeat it in the real world. Have at it....

The 50bmg cartridge model
50bmg.png

Here is "A" version of 50bmg Improved.

I only changed 2 things:
Shoulder angle to 75 degrees from the standard 31
Body taper from .0897 to .025

50bmgIMP.png

Both load models are at 94.3% of available case capacity.

50bmgIMP_load1.png

Velocity gain is 175fps. for about 26.5 grains of powder. Not bad for a 50. However.

Staying with H50bmg powder is clearly pushing limits.

Lets see if there is something better. Less pressure same or better velocity.

Switching to VihtaVouri 20N29 lowers the pressure at the same density but looses 75 fps.
50bmgIMP_load2.png

Raising the pressure of V20N29 to match the H50bmg the fps improves but not as much.
50bmgIMP_load3.png

Asking QuickLoad what it thinks is the best powder:
50bmgIMP_ask.png

H50bmg seems to be the best for "Improved" 50 bmg.

So now the 50bmg Improved using H50bmg at the same pressure as the book load:

50bmgIMP_load4.png

Oh boy, not encouraging. For the same pressure, only a 60fps improvement.

Ok, game on.

Ask questions.

Request changes.

Please don't turn it into a slap fest. That gets no one anything useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.