.308 win elk bullet

Depends on how long the nose of the bullet is. The hollow point goes down to the shoulder on the Hammer Hunters. They will retain approximately 90%. Some a bit less.

Steve

Ok, based on the suggestions, I'll give accubonds a try. I'd like to try hammer bullets, but not a fan of having to special order bullets online. I live less than 2 miles from cabelas and gander mountain. I do have about 70 partitions in 165gr that I'll try to shoot as well.

I do have about 70 partitions in 165gr that I'll try to shoot as well.

Inside of 300 yards, those Partitions can be very accurate. I'm surprised you weren't considering them already.

I use both 200 and 220 grain Partitions in my 300 winnie. I think the 220 grainers may even be more accurate close in (although they drop like a rock past 300 yards :D )

........ I'd like to try hammer bullets, but not a fan of having to special order bullets online.............

I've found it a good product. No mystery loads, or special instructions. Just match their recommended twist to what you want to do. Their site is easy to use, and the service is good.

There are other good bullets out there, but the Hammer belongs on the list of good ones.

Ok, based on the suggestions, I'll give accubonds a try. I'd like to try hammer bullets, but not a fan of having to special order bullets online. I live less than 2 miles from cabelas and gander mountain. I do have about 70 partitions in 165gr that I'll try to shoot as well.

Order some Hammers and I will throw in a very nice ball cap! The box store won't do that.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.