300 Win Mag vs 300 RUM vs 338 Lapua vs 338 RUM

Don't know if the Edge is better than the 300 Rum. But I'm going to find out this winter. My RUM barrel is toast and I'm re barreling to a EDGE. Should be fun. For the distances I shoot I won't be able to take advantage of the 338. But it was a cheap way to get into a 338.

I have a 338 edge and it's the most consistently accurate rifle I have ever owned. H1000, 300 Bergers and ADG brass is an awesome combo. This three shot group has happened many time before. The other picture is load work up. As you can see, 92-93 grains is money.

Attachments

• BD19B5FB-66E2-4575-9D19-35998C189336.jpeg
    BD19B5FB-66E2-4575-9D19-35998C189336.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 3E661E12-5518-478D-8E4F-40B96B4C9726.jpeg
    3E661E12-5518-478D-8E4F-40B96B4C9726.jpeg
    930.7 KB · Views: 283
So is the edge THAT MUCH better than the 300 RUM?
It's not better, it's slightly faster.
In all reality, your looking at less than 100 fps difference, but the edge will be a little faster.
The only advantage of the edge or rum over the lapua is the cost of the build, but when you start feeding any of them, this difference isn't that big of deal.
Lapua brass is easy to find, it's as good as brass gets, and it'll run with the right with the edge without any hassle, if you want a hassle, run the lapua improved and you'll outrun all of the above mentioned.
If you already have a rifle set up for the RUM cases, you just have to decide if the potential 100 fps is worth it. It doesn't sound like much, but I'd probably run the edge anyway, it's not hard to neck brass up or down, so why not.

The Edge betters the 338 RUM by 150fps in a 28" barrel, remove 50fps if in a 26".
I have a 338 Edge on a Rem Sendero action, I have to double load, that is one in the chamber and another in the mag that only just fits above the feed ramp. It has bound up on me in the past.
I also have a 300WM shooting 215 Bergers and a 338-416 Rigby Improved 45 degree shoulder. All 3 are capable to 1200mtr, the 338-416RI is a genuine 2000mtr capable cartridge. I have taken it to 1800mtrs here on steel only. 2 sighters and I was on, however this rifle is not something you want to be carrying in the mountains, it weighs almost 16lbs. Most of this is in the barrel, it is 32" long and is a straight 1.25" from chamber to muzzle with 6 flutes and a muzzle brake close to 3/4lbs.
It is built on a CZ550 Safari Magnum action with the bolt handle straightened and bolt knob filled and re-shaped.

My Edge would function better with a 4.00" Wyatt's box, but they are hard to get here in Australia.

Cheers.

I love my 300WM. I would not shoot game with it to 1200 yards, that's a bit far for me. YMMV. It's great target round to a mile. But the 338s hit a lot harder. Past 800 yards on game I'm shooting my 338 Edge. I'm shooting 285gr ELD-M at higher velocity than my 300WM shoots 200ABs. Ballistically it is in another class in every way.

There is a bit more to converting a Remington long action to 338 Edge than screwing on the barrel. You need the Wyatts long box. Then you need to modify the bolt stop to let the bolt come back further to pick up the rear of the round. This can be done at home, you just need to know what you are doing. I bought a Stiller Predator and the Wyatts box. I had to mill the rear of the bottom opening of the receiver back significantly, I did this carefully with a Dremel over many hours until the Wyatts box fit. Then I used a flat file to modify the side bolt stop to allow for proper rear travel of the bolt. The result was a gun which shot tiny one hole groups at 100 (McGowan Remage barrel), placed 3rd in a 2000 yard match as the cheapest gun on the line, and dropped an elk DRT at 730 yards in a stiff wind on the first shot for record.

Last edited:
I love my 300WM. I would not shoot game with it to 1200 yards, that's a bit far for me. YMMV. It's great target round to a mile. But the 338s hit a lot harder. Past 800 yards on game I'm shooting my 338 Edge. I'm shooting 285gr ELD-M at higher velocity than my 300WM shoots 200ABs. Ballistically it is in another class in every way.

There is a bit more to converting a Remington long action to 338 Edge than screwing on the barrel.

I agree with the .338 being in another class. But to turn a Remington action (or Savage, or whatever) into a .338 Edge all you do need to do is screw on the barrel (as long as it has the right bolt face). That's what my Edge was, just ran it as a single shot. Now if you want a repeater that is a different story, and a bit more work (money). My buddy's Edge has DMB and I really don't care for it, as does my Snipetac.
I'm thinking about getting an Edge barrel for my Savage long action and screwing that dude on. For that matter I know a fella with an Edge on a Savage short action, just can't eject a loaded round without pulling the bolt...shoots great though!

Just out of curiosity, what do y'all know about the Remington 700 Police in 338 Lapua? I'm not really familiar with this rifle but found one for a good price $800 IF it's worth it.....

Just to throw out a bit more of a hassle (badass) cartridge, a 300 Lapua improved could be a good one. I did a little load work for a "standard" 300 Lapua 212s eldx over 3200 fps. With Retumbo. Saw another fella with the improved version shooting 230s near 3300. Should hammer anything walking as far as you can hit em. Lapua, Peterson, ADG brass....

I have had both 338s and 300s. The 300s are easier to drive in my opinion. The only sacrifice in my option is if you think you need another 50-100 grains of bullet. I now shoot a 300 NM with 215. I feel is every bit as good as 338 out the ranges you specified.
You don't need a 338 to kill anything in N. America period and the big thirties are much cheaper to build, load for, and shoot not to mention coming with far less recoil and muzzle blast.

Just out of curiosity, what do y'all know about the Remington 700 Police in 338 Lapua? I'm not really familiar with this rifle but found one for a good price $800 IF it's worth it.....
I know several people that bought them. Typical Remington, needing lots of work to shoot well and hampered by the short barrel.

Unfortunately most of them were built when Remington's QC was at it's worst.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.