300 Win Mag vs 300 RUM vs 338 Lapua vs 338 RUM

yotekiller04

I hunt out west a lot where you can shoot about as far as you want to. I also have been reloading for a long time and no factory ammo will be used.....so that being said for a (let's say 1200yd MAX) mule deer/elk rifle and shooting steel which would you go with?

Again I know what it costs to reload 300 RUM and 338 Lapua and that isn't a factor.

Out west with a 1,200 yard max for mule deer and elk...

26" or 28" 1:8 twist barreled .28 Nosler or 7mm STW pushing Berger 195's. Flatter shooting than those listed above, better wind-bucking, and hard-hitting.

I like the norma better for unimproved 30 and 38 cartridges , but out of those three I'd run the 338 lapua without question.
If cost isn't an issue, I'd run the 338 lapua improved. As mudrunner mentioned, the big 7's and the 195's will do the job as well.
At 1200 I'd want a bit more than a 300 win mag, not that it wouldn't do it.

I have had both 338s and 300s. The 300s are easier to drive in my opinion. The only sacrifice in my option is if you think you need another 50-100 grains of bullet. I now shoot a 300 NM with 215. I feel is every bit as good as 338 out the ranges you specified.

Thanks for the input.... I like the 7mm cartridges, but I'd much prefer the 30cal bullet. I may be overcompensating for something, but I'm a firm believer in there is no such thing as overkill lol. I should also mention I have a friend that has a Remington Sendero 300 RUM HE WILL SELL ME FOR $700

Last edited:
For deer all four would do the job, but on elk at 1200 yards I would have to agree with nmbarta on the 300 WM. It might do it but I would want something more. The 300 RUM is hard to beat for the .30 at that distance, and either the 338 Lapua or RUM would be plenty at 1200. I'd also definitely take a look at the 338 Edge, it seems guys on here have had great luck with it as a LR elk cartridge.

Thanks for the input.... I like the 7mm cartridges, but I'd much prefer the 30cal bullet. I may be overcompensating for something, but I'm a firm believer in there is no such thing as overkill lol. I should also mention I have a friend that has a Remington Sendero 300 RUM HE WILL SELL ME FOR $700
For that price, I think that's worth pursuing. And if you don't like it, you have a great platform to build a custom off of. Already has the stainless action and the HS Precision stock, you'd just need to blueprint and rebarrel. And if it's a newer Sendero, an aftermarket trigger is a must. The stock X-Mark Pro triggers in the newer Remingtons are horrendous.

Of your options, I would choose the 300 win mag for the 30 calibers or a 338 EDGE (300 RUM necked to 338) for the .338 caliber. The 300 win mag is everything a long range hunting cartridge needs to be and nothing it doesn't, it just works especially with a 212 eld-x or 215 Berger moving around 2900-3000 fps. I have a thread called "300 win mag long range fun" where a buddy and I went hunting this fall and he shot a deer just past 1,000 yds. I watched it drop like a rock in the spotting scope. It wasn't a spine shot either it was a double lung shot with the 220gr eld-x. The 300 win mag feeds better from a magazine than the 300 Rum and has less recoil but very similar ballistics.
The reason I'd choose the 338 edge is it will push the 300gr bullets with more velocity than the 338 Lapua or the 338 Rum and can run on a standard magnum bolt instead of needing the larger bolt face.

Last edited:
Of your options, I would choose the 300 win mag for the 30 calibers or a 338 EDGE (300 RUM necked to 338 and improved) for the .338 caliber. The 300 win mag is everything a long range hunting cartridge needs to be and nothing it doesn't, it just works especially with a 212 eld-x or 215 Berger moving around 2900-3000 fps. I have a thread called "300 win mag long range fun" where a buddy and I went hunting this fall and he shot a deer just past 1,000 yds. I watched it drop like a rock in the spotting scope. It wasn't a spine shot either it was a double lung shot with the 220gr eld-x. The 300 win mag feeds better from a magazine than the 300 Rum and has less recoil but very similar ballistics.
The reason I'd choose the 338 edge is it will push the 300gr bullets with more velocity than the 338 Lapua or the 338 Rum and can run on a standard magnum bolt instead of needing the larger bolt face.

So I could buy the 300 RUM Sendero and when I got ready I could rebarrel to 338 edge if I wanted correct?

So I could buy the 300 RUM Sendero and when I got ready I could rebarrel to 338 edge if I wanted correct?
Yep... But when you do, have the smith install a 4.000" Wyatt's Outdoors magbox and follower into the rifle, to be able to take full advantage of the case capacity and cartridge length for those ultra-mag cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.