300 Win Mag vs 300 RUM vs 338 Lapua vs 338 RUM

So is the edge THAT MUCH better than the 300 RUM?
I know several people that bought them. Typical Remington, needing lots of work to shoot well and hampered by the short barrel.

Unfortunately most of them were built when Remington's QC was at it's worst.
Nothing you shoot will know the difference between a Rum, an Edge, the Lapua or the Norma.

Nothing you shoot will know the difference between a Rum, an Edge, the Lapua or the Norma.
This is true, BUT I know!

My 338's get used the most, not always hunting, but ringing steel or paper.
In the Edge or Rigby Improved, the energy level difference between the 30's is VERY noticeable on game, as is the wind bucking difference. Just like the fast 375's over the standard H&H are a big step up in energy level.

Cheers.

This is true, BUT I know!

My 338's get used the most, not always hunting, but ringing steel or paper.
In the Edge or Rigby Improved, the energy level difference between the 30's is VERY noticeable on game, as is the wind bucking difference. Just like the fast 375's over the standard H&H are a big step up in energy level.

Cheers.
You'll never hear/see me saying they don't have their place but as the SOCOM trals proved the .30's definitely get the job done.

At sub ELR ranges in particular the little bit of performance gain over the .300's simply isn't noticeable.

I agree on the energy but now you'e just getting into overkill range on all but the largest and most dangerous game on the continent at the ranges even most of us shoot.

I get the drive for the biggest, baddest, and fastest, it's part of who we are as Americans, I'm just pointing out the facts.

I agree on the energy but now you'e just getting into overkill range on all but the largest and most dangerous game on the continent at the ranges even most of us shoot.

I get the drive for the biggest, baddest, and fastest, it's part of who we are as Americans, I'm just pointing out the facts.

Hard to believe in overkill after I've seen elk (more than one now) absorb multiple .338 RUM rounds at under 100 yards and not flinch.
Added: Been looking at one of your favorites the .375 Ruger.:D

Last edited:
You don't need a 338 to kill anything in N. America period and the big thirties are much cheaper to build, load for, and shoot not to mention coming with far less recoil and muzzle blast.
Not being argumentative, asking an actual question, but don't the big 30's have a shorter barrel life as compared to a 338 when both are run at just under max?

I agree with the .338 being in another class. But to turn a Remington action (or Savage, or whatever) into a .338 Edge all you do need to do is screw on the barrel (as long as it has the right bolt face). That's what my Edge was, just ran it as a single shot. Now if you want a repeater that is a different story, and a bit more work (money). My buddy's Edge has DMB and I really don't care for it, as does my Snipetac.
I'm thinking about getting an Edge barrel for my Savage long action and screwing that dude on. For that matter I know a fella with an Edge on a Savage short action, just can't eject a loaded round without pulling the bolt...shoots great though!

It sure can be, like previously mentioned as long as you have a magnum bolt face and don't mind a single shot. My first venture in this was when I bought a Remington 700 in a RUM cartridge, sent it to Kirby Allen and he installed a 30" barrel chambered in .338 Edge. He also did some other work (bedded the action and worked the trigger), but that had nothing to do with it's capability to fire the cartridge. All my buddy did was buy a pre-chambered / threaded drop in barrel for his Savage and put it on himself. It can be that simple.

It's that simple? (I am new to this process!)

Yes, if you are using a barrel nut like savage does. There are companies that even make a barrel nut for Remington actions. You would need the necessary tools such as a barrel wrench to loosen the nut to get the barrel off of a savage.

If you bought a savage rifle in 300 RUM, you could buy a savage pre fit barrel chambered in 338 edge and take the 300 RUM barrel off and just screw the 338 edge barrel on. I do recommend getting go and no go gauges to get your head spacing right though. There are tons of threads on this website about it. Just dona search and you will find them.

Yes, if you are using a barrel nut like savage does. There are companies that even make a barrel nut for Remington actions. You would need the necessary tools such as a barrel wrench to loosen the nut to get the barrel off of a savage.

If you bought a savage rifle in 300 RUM, you could buy a savage pre fit barrel chambered in 338 edge and take the 300 RUM barrel off and just screw the 338 edge barrel on. I do recommend getting go and no go gauges to get your head spacing right though. There are tons of threads on this website about it. Just dona search and you will find them.
Good point to the RUM Savage action (don't think Savage currently chambers RUM cases any longer but I could wrong), or at least the large shank barreled versions. Guys can and do run the small shanks with RUM cases, but they made the larger ones to add more meat (metal) into the equation.

Good point to the RUM Savage action (don't think Savage currently chambers RUM cases any longer but I could wrong), or at least the large shank barreled versions. Guys can and do run the small shanks with RUM cases, but they made the larger ones to add more meat (metal) into the equation.

They don't chamber them anymore but you can pick up used ones here and there in savage 116 or I believe Savage 112. Which would be perfect for switching out the barrels.

All you need is a adjustable wrench and a barrel nut wrench to change a barrel on a savage. And of course the proper go and no go gauges for the selected cartridge.

For what you want the 300 win mag will work great. Plenty of HP.

If you reload I would look for the one that can be got the cheapest and the easiest to mod.... That way down the road you can play a bit if you want.

I have a (pre accutrigger) savage 112 in 300wm... read something about it being that easy.... what are some good drop in barrels?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.