300 Norma Mag Improved. Follow along!!!

That's a gorgeous looking rifle friend. I'm glad you're happy with it . The 308 Norma has been around forever and is a great round and its very likely your modified version is even better. Personally I've long decided that I no longer want to shoot those magnum cartridges. I'd much rather play with my old nostalgic thumpers like the .45-70 and the like. I could never compete with you and your new toy but that's what makes this sport of shooting appeal to just about everyone. Different strokes for different folks. Good luck with your rifle and God bless.
A 300 Norma Magnum or any improved version of it is completely different than the .308 Norma of yesteryear.

What's the difference Mike's version and a 300nmi?

Mike is building a 6.5-284 for me right now.
I asked Mike what changes he did. It has a 35° shoulder and is pushed forward .050.

In the picture the OP posted it looks like he may have moved the neck shoulder junction forward which shortens the neck. Not sure how I feel about that.

T
Just received my 300 HCA yesterday. Which is a 300 Norma Mag Improved designed by Mike at Hells Canyon Armory. Specs are as follows:

300 HCA (Norma Mag Improved)
Lone Peak Fuzion TI
AG Ibex Stock
26" HCA Carbon Barrel 1-9.5 twist
5 port MBM Brake.
Trigger Tech
Hawkins Bottom Metal (hinged floor plate)
Seekins low rings
March FX 4.5-28X52

Total rifle weight is 9lbs 3oz.

I loaded up a fire forming load with 225 ELDM and 72gr. of N570 with a 215M primer. It's going 2400fps. The bullets are seated long enough that I'm jamming them into the lands and actually seating them deeper when I chamber the round.
As of now, I'm just fire forming, so here are some pictures. The formed brass seems to hold about 4gr. more of powder.

View attachment 372782
View attachment 372783
View attachment 372784

View attachment 372785
That is one fine looking hunting tool!

I asked Mike what changes he did. It has a 35° shoulder and is pushed forward .050.

In the picture the OP posted it looks like he may have moved the neck shoulder junction forward which shortens the neck. Not sure how I feel about that.
The neck is definitely shortened. After loading my 28 nosler with bullets only .125 into the neck and it being a tack driver, I'm not too worried about the shortened neck anymore.

The neck is definitely shortened. After loading my 28 nosler with bullets only .125 into the neck and it being a tack driver, I'm not too worried about the shortened neck anymore.
I'm not worried from a support method, I just feel that the longer neck helps with throat erosion. I have no evidence to back this up.

I know Mike makes a fine rifle. You will be pleased I'm sure. It's a fantastic looking rig and it's hard to be mad about sub 10#.

I'm not worried from a support method, I just feel that the longer neck helps with throat erosion. I have no evidence to back this up.

I know Mike makes a fine rifle. You will be pleased I'm sure. It's a fantastic looking rig and it's hard to be mad about sub 10#.
Ohhh gotcha!! I thought you were referring to the support of the bullets. I don't know about the throat erosion though. But at this point in my shooting career, barrels are basically a consumable that I've come to accept 😅

His are at 35° as well. Just not sure if his shortens the neck.

I'm not sayin Mike's does but it looks like it in the pics the OP posted of the factory case and then the fire formed case.
I did not shorten the neck. I want a crush fit on virgin brass. It makes far better formed cases then jamming a bullets does. Shorter necks also make throats burn out faster and this case is already big enough for what its for.