280 AI

Theres a 280 AI group on FB. They have pdf files of quickload for a lot of popular bullets including the hammers. Based on what I have seen there that is a pretty hot load.
Seems good in my rifle. I went off the AH load data. Lots of other people running the 140 AH right at 3300+ FPS. Maybe the defiance action and Peterson brass is helping ? I haven't shot the gun enough to see how the primer pockets hold up. But there's no pressure signs on the brass and no resistance on bolt lift. I don't have Quickload, but others say it doesn't line up very good with the hammer bullets.

Absolute hammers are a radically different bullet design. Due to the lack of a traditional 'ogive', engraving pressure is drastically reduced, and a 140gr bullet behaves more like a 'typical' 120gr bullet - where internal ballistics are concerned anyway...

This thread is a good resource for those interested in learning more;

I've heard that. Just looking at the data they have posted the h100v is not one of the faster powders. Typically 200 fps slower. That was the reason for concern. If the fastest powders are running 3400 ( which is smoking for a 140 in 280 AI) then H100v would be in the 3200 range.

I've heard that. Just looking at the data they have posted the h100v is not one of the faster powders. Typically 200 fps slower. That was the reason for concern. If the fastest powders are running 3400 ( which is smoking for a 140 in 280 AI) then H100v would be in the 3200 range.
In my previous barrel, I got the 140 AH running at 3400 fps with HV100. It was a hot load and my accuracy was better in the 3300 range. This was when the Absolute line of bullets had just been introduced. Since then, we (the Hammer Bullet loaders) have learned a lot through experimentation. Steve Davis (one of the owners of Hammer Bullets) used HV100 in his own rifle and obtained 3400 fps, so many of us copied his load. I shoot the 120gr Hunters in my new barrel. They are fast (3540 fps) and extremely accurate. Use the data from the spreadsheet to help determine what powder and primers to use. A lot of time and effort from many is compiled there.

I picked up a pound of Hunter and it's just sitting on the shelf. Anyone else tried this in the 280 AI ? What weight bullets and were you happy with the results?
I currently use IMR 4831 for 139's and IMR 7828 for 160's
I just picked some up to test with 162 ELD-X because I wasn't happy with ES of my Staball 6.5 load. I shot a ladder and will be doing more testing between 57.4 - 57.8. Initial results were 57.4 - 2871, 57.6 - 2872, 57.8 - 2877. 20" barrel, Peterson Brass, CCI 250. Hoping 57.5 will stay consistently around 2870.

Interesting. I believe I read that somewhere else. Or it has been determine at other times. For me I'll have to put it into my notes. I was understanding that for each 1" of barrel length you gained between 25 and 50 fps. Some say more. Never cut down a barrel that I had recorder before and after.
I had my 280 AI cut down this spring from 27.25" to 25", and lost only 49 fps or 21.7 fps/inch.

Theres a 280 AI group on FB. They have pdf files of quickload for a lot of popular bullets including the hammers. Based on what I have seen there that is a pretty hot load.
The PDF files do not have the Absolute Hammers included because the Absolute Hammer is a completely different design, and produces much much less pressure. QuickLOAD can not accurately predict pressures with those bullets.

I just picked some up to test with 162 ELD-X because I wasn't happy with ES of my Staball 6.5 load. I shot a ladder and will be doing more testing between 57.4 - 57.8. Initial results were 57.4 - 2871, 57.6 - 2872, 57.8 - 2877. 20" barrel, Peterson Brass, CCI 250. Hoping 57.5 will stay consistently around 2870.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to use this powder for the 139's but it may be a little on the slow side for the lighter bullets.

I am a .284 fan for 40 years now, I built a 7mmJRS in the 90s and it did everything I wanted. Now I hunt with a 7mm Express using 150g Partitions and RL 19. I have a Mauser action in 30-06 and I want to rebarrel it to .280ai and I think I will stick with a 23" barrel. My 7mm JRS was a hammer with 154 Spire Points and RL 22, pushing 63g powder, 22 inch barrel, 3165 avg with single digit SDs
Mine was chambered by the old E.R. Shaw and it was just a smidgen longer bodywise than Jon Sundra speced. Hornady built the dies based on 3 fireformed and fired with a warm load samples I sent them. Are all the well known Manufacturers using the .284ai like P.O. Ackley designed or a different spec set?? I heard rumors the Nosler rifles in 280ai were a touch different than Kimber's same??