280 AI with Hornady 162ELD-X load data?

Here's my most accurate load.

H4831SC, 58.7, Hornady SST, 162 grain, .030 off the lands (3.310 COAL), Nosler brass, Federal 210 primers, 8-shot chrono test, ES 20, SD 6.3, average velocity 2824fps, 316 moa,

I have another load for 162 ELDX with 58.8 of H4831SC that shoots .415 moa.

I'm trying to find some Peterson brass, so I'll do some load development with that if I ever locate any. The Savage Ultralight in 280 AI is pretty easy to develop accurate loads for.
Trying 162gr with H4831 SC, federal gold primers, and Nosler brass- can’t get them to work at all after almost 100 rounds….. started with Saterlee test, then played with seating depth- no luck

Trying 162gr with H4831 SC, federal gold primers, and Nosler brass- can’t get them to work at all after almost 100 rounds….. started with Saterlee test, then played with seating depth- no luck
With those components, you should get better results. Don’t take offense, but are you an experienced hand loader? Is your process consistent? How do you measure your powder charge? Even though I have a Dillon 550 loader that will measure powder charges, I hand measure every charge for consistency.

If your other handloads produce much more consistent results, there’s something your rifle doesn’t like about this component recipe. Does the rifle shoot other loads better? Maybe a loose scope or action screw.

With those components, you should get better results. Don’t take offense, but are you an experienced hand loader? Is your process consistent? How do you measure your powder charge? Even though I have a Dillon 550 loader that will measure powder charges, I hand measure every charge for consistency.

If your other handloads produce much more consistent results, there’s something your rifle doesn’t like about this component recipe. Does the rifle shoot other loads better? Maybe a loose scope or action screw.
Thanks for the reply,
I’ve been reloading for many years, and have a consistent system. 20 rounds Saterlee test with a 5 minute cool down between each shot. Picked 3 nodes and loaded 6 rounds each to test a 3-round group for accuracy and ES with Garmin, then picked 2 loads and tested 5 COAL’s with a 7 thou OAL difference in each.
I was suspecting a loose scope or something else going on as well, so tested my old load with 168gr Berger’s, and they clover-leafed….. Barrel just doesn’t seem to care for the Hornady’s, which is a shame as they’re half the price compared to Berger’s.

Thanks for the reply,
I’ve been reloading for many years, and have a consistent system. 20 rounds Saterlee test with a 5 minute cool down between each shot. Picked 3 nodes and loaded 6 rounds each to test a 3-round group for accuracy and ES with Garmin, then picked 2 loads and tested 5 COAL’s with a 7 thou OAL difference in each.
I was suspecting a loose scope or something else going on as well, so tested my old load with 168gr Berger’s, and they clover-leafed….. Barrel just doesn’t seem to care for the Hornady’s, which is a shame as they’re half the price compared to Berger’s.
I didn’t mean anything by asking your experience level, that’s the drawback of the internet. Sometimes you try to help someone with inconsistent loads, and you find out their powder charges are off maybe a grain or so, due to inconsistent measuring. Or their action/scope screws are under or over tight. I haven’t seen too many situations where one barrel just doesn’t work with one bullet, but it does happen. Sorry for the frustration.

I didn’t mean anything by asking your experience level, that’s the drawback of the internet. Sometimes you try to help someone with inconsistent loads, and you find out their powder charges are off maybe a grain or so, due to inconsistent measuring. Or their action/scope screws are under or over tight. I haven’t seen too many situations where one barrel just doesn’t work with one bullet, but it does happen. Sorry for the frustration.
No offense taken at all- appreciate an advice. This sport seems to be a 40 year apprenticeship and appreciate any help. Thanks again, and have a great week.
Mike

I've kind of looked around if anyone had and loading data also. I've been using R-17 and IMR-7828ssc with 160gr AB and IMR-7828ssc with Berger 168gr VLD bullet in my 280AI. I've been shooting 200gr ELD-X bullet in my 30-338 mag with great results.

I'm kind of hoping to get out this weekend and I'll just use work-up data that I have for the 160gr AB and see what happens.
4831sc is magic with 160 AB might not be the fastest but the groups are tiny

The 162 ELDx is the one bullet my .280AI Brux won't shoot consitently as I like, but I've had the best luck with it jammed .005" in the lands. Same on a buddies 7mag with a Benchmark barrel. Both guns (barrels) shot almost everything else very, very well.

Its weird because my 6mm creedmoor absolutely loves the 103 ELDx and by 6.5 loves the 143 ELDx.

The 162 ELDx is the one bullet my .280AI Brux won't shoot consitently as I like, but I've had the best luck with it jammed .005" in the lands. Same on a buddies 7mag with a Benchmark barrel. Both guns (barrels) shot almost everything else very, very well.

Its weird because my 6mm creedmoor absolutely loves the 103 ELDx and by 6.5 loves the 143 ELDx.
Thanks for the reply. I’m not a fan of jamming and bullets as there is always the possibility I may bring this hunting, and you know what can happen if the bullet sticks.

I’m going to try it again with bullets seated out further for a 5 thou jump, but if that does work I’ll be moving onto another bullet.

Highlander, a great time to gain some confidence in your techniques.

Sort the bullets by ogive length
Seat the bullets to just touch the lands
Seat the bullets to jam .003

Hint: to build confidence, check ogive length of the round after you seat the bullet, checking for consistency.

I don't expect you to find any bullets pulling out of the case. If ogive lengths vary with bullets not sorted, you could end up with a .020+ Jam...YIKES!

Many hunting bullets shoot their very best touching or a tiny bit of jam. I have NEVER had a bullet pull out of a case using the above method, and yes, there is a learning curve.

Last edited:
Highlander, a great time to gain some confidence in your techniques.

Sort the bullets by ogive length
Seat the bullets to just touch the lands
Seat the bullets to jam .003

Hint: to build confidence, check ogive length of the round after you seat the bullet, checking for consistency.

I don't expect you to find any bullets pulling out of the case. If ogive lengths vary with bullets not sorted, you could end up with a .020+ Jam...YIKES!

Many hunting bullets shoot their very best touching or a tiny bit of jam. I have NEVER had a bullet pull out of a case using the above method, and yes, there is a learning curve.
Thanks Vince,
I may do some experimenting, but will likely end up opting for a different bullet. Have not had these accuracy issues with any other bullet, and may just move onto greener pastures.

What coal did you start and finnish at? 7 thou is fairly tight i usually go 20,40,60,80,100. Yes 100. You would be surprised. The eldx I shoot tend to like 40-60 off.

Cajun is correct, you have to play. I start off near or touching the lands, NEVER .020 off unless I am shooting a berger of sorts. This issue of seating depth is a patience game with great rewards.

If you like the 160ish weight, I hope you try the 168g Long range accubonds, seated with the above method, they just shoot tiny groups.

I have many boxes of the 162s eldx, I have my fingers crossed, nice to buy what is available.

A simple technique to cut to the chase on this issue of seating depth is to load your rounds to the longest length that you want to use. Seat bullets at the rifle range, in between groups with the barrel cooling. Now, shoot the loads that are slight jam or barely touching, three shots each. Then start jumping them in .015 increments. If two shots are wide apart, no use in shooting the third, save those for fouling shots. Keep increasing the depth, and do not get frustrated, keep your barrel cool. I rub the barrel with 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water to the point to where the fluid is dripping off of the bottom of the barrel. Seat several more charges while the barrel is cooling. What ever you come up with as the best load, shoot three, three shot groups, cooling the barrel in between the groups to verify, then verify on another day.

With the Press screwed down on A 2x6, use a large C clamp to firmly attach the Press to the shooting bench top.

After you have identified which distance works the best, you can fine tune. Often, a .003 adjustment has you jumping for joy!

What coal did you start and finnish at? 7 thou is fairly tight i usually go 20,40,60,80,100. Yes 100. You would be surprised. The eldx I shoot tend to like 40-60 off.
Hi,
I believe the range was between 10-50 thou. I contacted the Hornady Engineers, and they recommended 30. If I remember correctly, the 50 thou jump put my COAL below SAMMI spec.