280 AI hand load favorites.

VinceMule, I did not ... I had less than half bottle RE22, switched to RE23 that I had two #s and then lost access to my range with AC'd house (Dallas Gun Club). (everyone else, if you're not from Texas, or AZ/NM/etc. then you probably don't appreciate the significance of that point ... essentially trying to eliminate the temperature sensitivity variable, though).

FWIW, my 140AB Nosler trophy grade custom factory ammo performed just as well as my handloads with 140TSX, so I have no doubt that I can at least match that result with hand loads.

In short, I'm lazy once I'm convinced my rifle and ammo are able to shoot half MOA.

Did you find an improvement with the magnum primer?

A big improvement for me, my groups tightened up to cloverleafs.
Thanks, I will try some loads with mag primers when I get home. I'll probably start a couple of grains under my max and work up in half grain increments. Although I have never had issues with ignition in the 0-20 degree temps we hunt in, a hotter flame is welcomed.

Just got back from the range doing a bit of testing. I struggled with the HHT 145 and RL23. I focused only on finding the pressure point today. I just don't seem to do well with compressed loads. 59 - 62 gr and stopped. Significant ejector marks and heavy bolt lift. Only getting around 3050 FPS. Shot a string or two with HH143 with H4350 and got 3100+ FPS and no significant pressure signs. I did shoot some 162ELDM with 58 - 59 gr of RL23 at around 2950 FPS without pressure signs. Groups were not great at around 1 MOA average. Maybe my rifle just doesn't like RL23.

Just got back from the range doing a bit of testing. I struggled with the HHT 145 and RL23. I focused only on finding the pressure point today. I just don't seem to do well with compressed loads. 59 - 62 gr and stopped. Significant ejector marks and heavy bolt lift. Only getting around 3050 FPS. Shot a string or two with HH143 with H4350 and got 3100+ FPS and no significant pressure signs. I did shoot some 162ELDM with 58 - 59 gr of RL23 at around 2950 FPS without pressure signs. Groups were not great at around 1 MOA average. Maybe my rifle just doesn't like RL23.

Not around my load book but my 280 AI liked (58-59 IIRC)RL23 under 162 ELDX @2950ish, no pressure and about 20-30K off.
ELDM should slip out a hair quicker with possibly even less pressure due to their construction…. So I think you are on track with 162's.

I consistently see better velocities with mono's (139gr - 145gr) and the powders in the H4350/RL17/SB6.5/RL19 burn rates. I bought a jug of H4831sc to try but it's not known for velocity. I bought the SC version because those mono bullets seem to seat so deep as to touch the darn primer! -OK, that's a bit exaggerated but they do seat deep and I don't care for a crunching powder column. I get the heebie geebies when I have to force that bullet into it. They say you never hear the one that gets you. I hope that's true!

I strive for good case fill %, but 62 to 63 grains of RL23 is halfway up the neck in Peterson brass. It actually caused difficulty seating the bullet. My rifle was chambered to SAMMI spec, so seating longer is not an option right now. I'm happy with 2950 FPS with 162's. I just need to work on consistency of the groups. I'll switch up the powder on the HHT145 and see what happens.

Thanks, I will try some loads with mag primers when I get home. I'll probably start a couple of grains under my max and work up in half grain increments. Although I have never had issues with ignition in the 0-20 degree temps we hunt in, a hotter flame is welcomed.

A big improvement for me, my groups tightened up to cloverleafs.
I tried winchester large rifle magnum primers under H 4350 and Hammer 140 Gr and got no improvement. Next week I will try them under R-19 which has been my hunting load for elk with a 145 LRX bullet. 5 shot groups with a stout charge of powder has been .75 MOA for a 5 shot group.

👍🏻
I do have a load with copper:
It's 145 LRX. I didn't spend much time with it. It shot good and left it alone. I only loaded it in case i ever have to use copper only. But..,until then, I'll let the conventional bullets work.

👍🏻
I do have a load with copper:
It's 145 LRX. I didn't spend much time with it. It shot good and left it alone. I only loaded it in case i ever have to use copper only. But..,until then, I'll let the conventional bullets work.
I'm getting over 3130 fps with that bullet and it has performed well on cow elk for me. It has proven accurate in all 4 280 AI's that I own.

I strive for good case fill %, but 62 to 63 grains of RL23 is halfway up the neck in Peterson brass. It actually caused difficulty seating the bullet. My rifle was chambered to SAMMI spec, so seating longer is not an option right now. I'm happy with 2950 FPS with 162's. I just need to work on consistency of the groups. I'll switch up the powder on the HHT145 and see what happens.
I tried winchester large rifle magnum primers under H 4350 and Hammer 140 Gr and got no improvement. Next week I will try them under R-19 which has been my hunting load for elk with a 145 LRX bullet. 5 shot groups with a stout charge of powder has been .75 MOA for a 5 shot group.
It's amazing to me our rifles with the same cartridge prefer certain powders and bullets. It can be frustrating at times but it's great finding what load your rifle prefers. Almost like they have their own temperament. My .280AI's prefer different loads. Only thing I can tell you is that with the .280AI, you will find a good load! Tagging' in

It's amazing to me our rifles with the same cartridge prefer certain powders and bullets. It can be frustrating at times but it's great finding what load your rifle prefers. Almost like they have their own temperament. My .280AI's prefer different loads. Only thing I can tell you is that with the .280AI, you will find a good load! Tagging' in
time on trigger has improved my field shots. every time I've practiced with more than 600 shots between game seasons, I've been successful in bagging my game meat. one of my 284's has over 11,000 rounds thru it and is in need of a third barrel.

My favorite 280 AI load is 155 HH 61.2 gr H4831SC with CCI LR MAG primer with Peterson brass. My chamber is not SAMMI. I throated it long for mono's. It's at 3080 fps. I tried Hammer 169 HH but never really liked the accuracy I believe I needed a 1.8 and not 1/8.5 for the 169. Jon Beanland builds a great rifle. Still waiting for a deer to try with these Hammer bullets, hopefully this October I punch my antelope tag with one.
Jason

Attachments

• IMG_7998.jpeg
    IMG_7998.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0702.jpeg
    IMG_0702.jpeg
    473.2 KB · Views: 33
If you like the hot core you'll love the 145 grand slam!!
grand slams of 145 and 160's were my bullet of choice until Barnes came out with the tsx and ttsx bullets. Never had a problem with either weight of GS's but after my first 10 shot 1/2 moa group with a 140 TSX in my 284 Win I was hooked.

Recent Posts