25-06 AI Load help

Have you measured the web expansion?

Nosler #9 shows 3115fps with a 110gr in a standard 25/06, at 51grs H4831.
24" test barrel.

You should have +150fps easy with a 26" on an AI. 200 is not unheard of.
How many shots on the barrel?
Web expansion is/ was a new term to me. So. No. I have not. I have no idea how many shots, I bought the rifle off gb supposedly a retired gs project he was liquidating. Looked pretty new I e.unfired. I've put ~80 thru it so far counting fire forming the 25-06 rem brass (rp brass)

Ive heard measuring web expansion is another really good way to measure pressure, I'm still kinda new to reloading and haven't done that yet but I recall up to .003" from virgin brass is good.

If you've picked up an ackley improved rifle its likely custom and a tack driver. Ackley Improving a 25-06 is a great way to go welcome to the club.

H4831SC was my go to powder for 7RM then 280AI. Until I found RE23. What I didn't like about H4831SC is it shows random pressure signs like ejector swipes after developing a "second node down" load from max. RE23 just eliminates that and I can run lightly compressed.
I do use magnum primers in both.

Definitely get that barrel super clean as Phil recommended, then see what the same loads are looking like.

If it were me, and it obviously is not, I wouldn't worry about it too much if I wasn't seeing ejector swipe or heavy bolt lift.

Are you sure the headspace isn't long?
This would cause flattened primers without actual excessive pressure.
I have 3 25-06's, all of your quoted velocity numbers are below all of mine using 110g Accubonds, I get between 3225fps and 3240fps in my 26" barrels. My 24" barrel M77 outstrips the other 2 with less powder.
I would dump the H4831, it never gives quoted book numbers…

My 3 best powders in the 25-06 are RL25, H1000 & Retumbo is the bees knees. Hands down the best powder with Magnum primers sparking it off.
Flattened primers alone are NOT a good indication of excessive pressure unless you have observed many firings with changed primer appearance.

Cheers.

Im using H1000 and standard CCI primers in my 25-06ai. One thing I can relate to is asking a question in a forum and finding impressive velocities from others recommending different powders and primers. At some point I couldnt keep up with others buying different components and chasing other peoples velocities, and learned to work with what I have.
IMO the OPs comments hes safely getting between 3100 and 3200fps, he's close if not there with what hes got. I wouldnt balk over less than 100fps than others over a different powder or primer.

Are you sure the headspace isn't long?
This would cause flattened primers without actual excessive pressure.
I have 3 25-06's, all of your quoted velocity numbers are below all of mine using 110g Accubonds, I get between 3225fps and 3240fps in my 26" barrels. My 24" barrel M77 outstrips the other 2 with less powder.
I would dump the H4831, it never gives quoted book numbers…

My 3 best powders in the 25-06 are RL25, H1000 & Retumbo is the bees knees. Hands down the best powder with Magnum primers sparking it off.
Flattened primers alone are NOT a good indication of excessive pressure unless you have observed many firings with changed primer appearance.

Cheers.
I suspected headspace issue early on... took to a smith and they (gun school) said it was fine... it was apparent to me they're not familiar with the Ackley stuff so maybe it's not.

I'm not trying to get the hottest load possible. I'm just baffled that I'm flattening primers well below the charge rates that should be safe according to the information I've read.

This rifle will go from 90 degree speed goat hunts to below zero for elk. Part of the reason I landed on H4831 but more importantly I haven't found much for show burning powder on the shelves.

I suspected headspace issue early on... took to a smith and they (gun school) said it was fine... it was apparent to me they're not familiar with the Ackley stuff so maybe it's not.
Are new unfired cases easy to chamber or do they show some resistance?
I have several AI and Improved cases, and all have negative headspace in the amount of .004". Chambering a new round is definitely noticeable on being tight.
I hope they used the go-gauge (standard dimension) as the no-go gauge, otherwise your chamber is long by .004".
This could be why you get flattened primers, the primer sits proud on firing, then max pressure slams the case rearward and the primer gets flattened at NORMAL pressures.

Cheers.

Flattened primers are pretty standard in all of my Ackley chambers. I've yet to have an Ackley that would shoot good groups unless your leaning on it pretty hard. Ejector marks are fairly common in a couple of mine but not all. If I'm a bit worried about pressure, I measure case head/web diameter for expansion. If it's .001" I back off or look at a different powder.
Ackley cases are different animals that require a slightly different approach to loading. But when you find the right combo, they're magic!

I'd also measure the neck expansion. I've had a tight chamber generate high pressures and flat primers when using .30/06 brass that was necked down.

The same loads using .25/06 brass had no issues.

Recent Posts