What should I do?

It's just funny or interesting that sometime you just want another rifle , in a caliber you don't have in your collection ! The is no real ballistic need for it when you have 6 rifles that are all excellent deee rifles,and 4 Rifles that are excellent Elk and bear rifles ! You just want it !! In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with that ! Who ever said this crazy hobby we have was supposed to be sensible ? I think its supposed to be fun and rewarding!! Get the 257 Wby !! One if two things may happen 1. You may just love it and it quickly becomes one of you favorite rifles !! Or 2 you shoot it maybe even hunt eith it once and don't like at all so you take it to a local gun shop and consign it for sale! You learned about rifle and the caliber ,sold it and maybe lost a few bucks ! Not the end of the world!

It's just funny or interesting that sometime you just want another rifle , in a caliber you don't have in your collection ! The is no real ballistic need for it when you have 6 rifles that are all excellent deee rifles,and 4 Rifles that are excellent Elk and bear rifles ! You just want it !! In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with that ! Who ever said this crazy hobby we have was supposed to be sensible ? I think its supposed to be fun and rewarding!! Get the 257 Wby !! One if two things may happen 1. You may just love it and it quickly becomes one of you favorite rifles !! Or 2 you shoot it maybe even hunt eith it once and don't like at all so you take it to a local gun shop and consign it for sale! You learned about rifle and the caliber ,sold it and maybe lost a few bucks ! Not the end of the world!
So true, have done that so many times, always a learning experience, and fun.

I did the same thing in 2003 at Scheel's, except it was a SAKO M995 TRG-1 in .300 WM. Like you, I left it for some poor soul to snatch up. Two and a half weeks later, it was still available, and this poor soul snatched it. 🤣 I still have the rifle today, along with 2 other .300 WMs.

Regarding your desire to own a .257 WBY, with a faster twist barrel and more heavy bullets available, it's a game changer. I was not a fan of proprietary cartridges. However, in 2021, I caved in and built a .257 WBY (my first .25 cal and WBY cartridge—https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/my-budget-257-wbty-build.276854/#post-2256378).

The barrel is 22" 1:7" and is intended for suppressed hunting and heavy bullets (131 BJ, 134 ELD-M, 133/135 Bergers, 145 Black Hole, and 163 Chinchagas). During my pressure testing with powders, I already had open, and I was propelling the 163 at 2915 FPS with H1000 with some more room to spare. Not too shabby, IMHO. I have some loaded with Retumbo for my next range time.

I hope you get your .257 WBY soon. Good luck!
You're making me want to build one. I found a used carbon mark but weatherby stayed with the 10 twist.

@Brandon.in.parts,

You've set yourself up for quite the conundrum.

Less powder than the Rem Mag, hunting distance of 600 yards or less.

Realistically, both of those are handled by the 7mm-08 and 280 Rem.
If you go with the 7mm LRM, it's an increase in case capacity over the Rem Mag.
Personally, I'd like to build one. But it would be on a Savage or Tikka action. I'm not trading a vehicle even up for a rifle!

@Brandon.in.parts,

You've set yourself up for quite the conundrum.

Less powder than the Rem Mag, hunting distance of 600 yards or less.

Realistically, both of those are handled by the 7mm-08 and 280 Rem.
If you go with the 7mm LRM, it's an increase in case capacity over the Rem Mag.
Personally, I'd like to build one. But it would be on a Savage or Tikka action. I'm not trading a vehicle even up for a rifle!
I've listed my 7 SAUM in the classifieds. My plan now is to either build/buy a sub 8lb 7PRC or 7 Mag.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I like to tinker with things. I'm a huge fan of 7mm's. I have or have had 7mm-08, 7mm SAUM, 280AI, 7mm REM Mag, 28 Nosler. Building loads for these cartridges it what is the most fun for me. Once I find a perfect load though, I can get bored with it and have to switch bullets or powder or something to keep it interesting.
I still have the 7mm-08 and will probably keep it so my kids can grow in to it. The 7 SAUM was my first DIY full custom, I love it but I think it can be better. In hindsight I should have built it on a medium or long action and a full 24" carbon sendero barrel was probably of the best choice for being lightweight and maneuverable. My 28 Nosler is an off the shelf Christensen Mesa Bronze and it took me a while to figure out what load it likes. Currently shooting 151gr PVA Cayuga.
Before I had either of these I had (read still have) an obsession with building a 7 LRM. I'll probably never use the 28 Nosler to its full potential and the LRM will render my SAUM obsolete. Let's be honest, if I were to build a Gunwerks brainchild I'd have to sell both of them anyway to afford it. Question is the new kid on the block 7 PRC. Hunting deer, black bear, elk and maybe someday moose and limiting myself to 600 yards and in, do I just press the easy button, PRC or feed my tinkering habit?
Hello there I was reading that you are looking into a new build for a rifle and noticed you're considering a 7 PRC. I thought I would show you a rifle build we did recently that we're selling. It has a 24" medium palma barrel threaded for 5/8 x 24 and weighs in at 6lbs 13oz without the magazine. You can take a look at her on This link if you'd like.

Hello there I was reading that you are looking into a new build for a rifle and noticed you're considering a 7 PRC. I thought I would show you a rifle build we did recently that we're selling. It has a 24" medium palma barrel threaded for 5/8 x 24 and weighs in at 6lbs 13oz without the magazine. You can take a look at her on This link if you'd like.
Thanks, Straight Jacket. I'm not going to lie, I've looked at that post many times. It's a beautiful rifle! Unfortunately it's out of my budget and I still have to sell my SAUM before starting something new.

Check it out here:

I've listed my 7 SAUM in the classifieds. My plan now is to either build/buy a sub 8lb 7PRC or 7 Mag.
Hey I posted on this thread for the original person but would like to show what we have. I was reading that you are looking into a new build for a rifle and noticed you're considering a 7 PRC. I thought I would show you a rifle build we did recently that we're selling. It has a 24" medium palma barrel threaded for 5/8 x 24 and weighs in at 6lbs 13oz without the magazine. You can take a look at her on This link if you'd like.

Thanks, Straight Jacket. I'm not going to lie, I've looked at that post many times. It's a beautiful rifle! Unfortunately it's out of my budget and I still have to sell my SAUM before starting something new.
Sorry I reposted thinking it was someone else. I appreciate you looking and good luck in your endevours for a new rifle.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I like to tinker with things. I'm a huge fan of 7mm's. I have or have had 7mm-08, 7mm SAUM, 280AI, 7mm REM Mag, 28 Nosler. Building loads for these cartridges it what is the most fun for me. Once I find a perfect load though, I can get bored with it and have to switch bullets or powder or something to keep it interesting.
I still have the 7mm-08 and will probably keep it so my kids can grow in to it. The 7 SAUM was my first DIY full custom, I love it but I think it can be better. In hindsight I should have built it on a medium or long action and a full 24" carbon sendero barrel was probably of the best choice for being lightweight and maneuverable. My 28 Nosler is an off the shelf Christensen Mesa Bronze and it took me a while to figure out what load it likes. Currently shooting 151gr PVA Cayuga.
Before I had either of these I had (read still have) an obsession with building a 7 LRM. I'll probably never use the 28 Nosler to its full potential and the LRM will render my SAUM obsolete. Let's be honest, if I were to build a Gunwerks brainchild I'd have to sell both of them anyway to afford it. Question is the new kid on the block 7 PRC. Hunting deer, black bear, elk and maybe someday moose and limiting myself to 600 yards and in, do I just press the easy button, PRC or feed my tinkering habit?
the PRC is definitely not an upgrade to the SAUM.....if anything it's a down grade and I can prove it. The only upside to it is the off the shelf ammo is readily available. I shoot 180's close to or over 3,000 and now I'm shooting 195's around 2,960. Try that in a PRC.

the PRC is definitely not an upgrade to the SAUM.....if anything it's a down grade and I can prove it. The only upside to it is the off the shelf ammo is readily available. I shoot 180's close to or over 3,000 and now I'm shooting 195's around 2,960. Try that in a PRC.
In all honesty I'm think I'm caught up in the all the hype. In the end I'll probably end up building another SAUM. My current SAUM shoots great and everything, but in hindsight there are things I would have changed in the build. Such as a longer action and lighter overall.

My 7 prc still isn't broke in & shoots lights very well. Scoped & ready to hunt its 8lbs7oz with a vx5 3x15x56. Only thing I've changed is muzzle break. A ag stock would probably get it right at 8lbs