Lightest 223 suppressor for hunting

You need more than 2..... Rimfire, pistol, shotgun. And more than 1, of each.
I started with one that will take care of anything over .244, and less in a pinch, and my goal is to add one for the .244 or less realm next. Already had a .22lr.

And thanks to JK Armament, and some others, the shotgun will be forthcoming afterwards. Lastly will be for pistol calibers or large bore calibers like .338.

That's a good point. The reality is I would run the heck out of a 375 can if I had one, but really I'm trying to figure out whether said 375 can would work well enough on my 223, or do I just need 2 new cans
It certainly wouldn't NOT work, and I'll never advocate for "just buy both" if your budget today can't support that.

But a few points of consideration:

A 375 bore would be far better serves with a larger volume can versus what is essentially a K can for that caliber.

A 375 will require a larger thread pitch and permanent shoulder be added to your wife's rifle, whereas the 6 ARC can go 1/2x28, or my preference a 5/8, one of those is likely what comes on the rifle already.

If you decide to do a mount swap on the can instead, you'll need to buy an extra mount (if it doesn't come with one). You'll also need to buy the extra end cap.

You also really want your components assembled and torqued down consistently, and torqued onto the barrel so it doesn't back off. To swap from one rifle to the other, you'll need to pop the barrel threads, then wrench off what would likely be carbon-locked mount and end cap, install the new ones, and wrench back into the new barrel.

And since you already have a silencerco, you know you're not doing that at the range because the can gets too hot.

None of which are insurmountable issues, but it's very reminiscent of the "buy one $3k scope and a QD mount, and use it for all of your rifles" marketing jargon of 10 years ago. You can make it work, but you're compromising at both ends, and the manufacturers know that the inconvenience will ultimately lead you to buy one for each rifle anyway.

If you have the expendable funds available, get a svelte, sexy can that will live on your wife's gun, be it a 6mm or 30 cal, then one that would truly impress you on the 375. Just my opinion.

It certainly wouldn't NOT work, and I'll never advocate for "just buy both" if your budget today can't support that.

But a few points of consideration:

A 375 bore would be far better serves with a larger volume can versus what is essentially a K can for that caliber.

A 375 will require a larger thread pitch and permanent shoulder be added to your wife's rifle, whereas the 6 ARC can go 1/2x28, or my preference a 5/8, one of those is likely what comes on the rifle already.

If you decide to do a mount swap on the can instead, you'll need to buy an extra mount (if it doesn't come with one). You'll also need to buy the extra end cap.

You also really want your components assembled and torqued down consistently, and torqued onto the barrel so it doesn't back off. To swap from one rifle to the other, you'll need to pop the barrel threads, then wrench off what would likely be carbon-locked mount and end cap, install the new ones, and wrench back into the new barrel.

And since you already have a silencerco, you know you're not doing that at the range because the can gets too hot.

None of which are insurmountable issues, but it's very reminiscent of the "buy one $3k scope and a QD mount, and use it for all of your rifles" marketing jargon of 10 years ago. You can make it work, but you're compromising at both ends, and the manufacturers know that the inconvenience will ultimately lead you to buy one for each rifle anyway.

If you have the expendable funds available, get a svelte, sexy can that will live on your wife's gun, be it a 6mm or 30 cal, then one that would truly impress you on the 375. Just my opinion.
I appreciate the info! It is quite helpful. Expendable funds aren't unlimited, so I am currently looking at a single can. Another down the road is possible, but right now I'm just getting one.

Ironically my wife doesn't even shoot. She just thought it would be nice for me to have a suppressor so that she didn't have to wear ear pro if I were to shoot at a deer while she was around.

I think the raptor can would work fine for a .375 jaguar, as that's a low volume case. It's just a .308 necked up to .375. However, it does make sense that a larger internal bore would be less effective at suppressing a 223 bullet even with the proper end cap installed.

The mounting is less of an issue for me. I have ASR mounts for my omega, but for the next can I plan to save the weight and direct thread. A 5/8-24 thread pitch fits almost every threaded barrel I own, and I have a couple 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapters for the skinny barreled fellas.

I have 4 cans...so far.

Two .308 cal cans (TBAC Ultra 9 & TBAC Dominus) I run on 22GT, 223 Rem, 6CM, 25SST, 6.5SS, 7SS, 300PRC

Two 6.5mm cans (TBAC Ultra 7 & TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2) I run on 22LR, 5.56NATO, 25CM, 25CM, 25MBK, 25PRC/SI, 6.5SLR, .260AI, .260AI, 6.5SS, 6.5PRC/SI

I think my next can will be a TBAC Ultra 5 Gen 2.

Last edited: