25-06 Ackley Improved velocities

Koda, I've been down the fun road you are on as well. Looks great, and I know it feels good too.
IF velocity is important to you, there are powders that will get you more speed.
But H1000 is a very stable and very consistent performer that allows for longer barrel life as a bonus. Clean burning too.
You have a combo there that will over-achieve. Keep us posted!

Last edited:
I start breaking in my barrel and brass tomorrow. My previous 25-06 was a Browning BAR/22".
My new 25-06AI has a 26" barrel, lite palma contour done by TS Customs.
Not as long as a Barrel as Phil likes, but it should get the job done.😆

I saw a definite difference using magnum primers on full power loads, Fed 215m specifically.
The FF loads can be very, very precise performers also.

I believe in the barrel! Never ever will I handicap myself with neutered performance out of the gate and wonder what if I had 2-4 more inches to burn the charge.
I like speed too much, and would rather have it with milder pressures if possible.

I saw a definite difference using magnum primers on full power loads, Fed 215m specifically.

I believe in the barrel! Never ever will I handicap myself with neutered performance out of the gate and wonder what if I had 2-4 more inches to burn the charge.
I like speed too much, and would rather have it with milder pressures if possible.
I was actually thinking about which primer to use. Since I know this will be used in colder weather and kind of a lot of powder. I think I will just start with the magnum primer like you suggested.

Its been a very very long wait but I got it back this year. A lot of the decisions I made were influenced from this thread, so my first custom rifle was a leap of faith but the advice here paid off.
Since last time I have been learning to handload, I wasted no time on this one. I built this rifle around the 127HHT bullet, custom throated to optimize case volume for velocity. I wound up with a 26in 7twist Ackely Improved chamber Douglass barrel, blued and fluted, custom throated for the 127gn Hammer. Bedded and floated to the original wood stock I refinished myself, sealed inside and out with tung oil.
I settled the new barrel in on some old factory ammo, plus 50rds of new virgin 25-06 Norma brass fireformed with some spare cup and core bullets I had acquired. It was fun watching that virgin brass come out as an ackley...
I ran up to 60 grains of H1000 and found pressure with some ejector marks. I backed off to 58.5 and running 3111fps average for a .3moa group at 100yds. Ive never owned a rifle that shot this good, Ive never shot a sub half inch group before. I was hoping for at least 3200fps but I cant complain...
The 127HHT has an advertised G7.262 and a .275 sectional density, at 3100fps this puts it on par ballistically with larger traditional calibers using (close to) the same bullet weight. This is a win and I look forward to getting to know the new rifles potential. A special thank you to @ButterBean , @B-LOT Banga , and @FEENIX for the confidence in advice and offers to help.

View attachment 600369

View attachment 600371

View attachment 600372

View attachment 600373 -
Huge fan of the 25 - I went the Sherman Route - Long Action. Your build looks great. What Barrel Contour is your Douglas? I have a 12 T Douglas 25-06 built by Brown Precision that stacks anything under 90 grains in pea sized holes. 117's fly sideways. Purely a Varmint/coyote rig unless I switch it to ultra light monos.

Preach it, Brother!

I tried Rem 9 1/2 mag primer in .270Win with 117HH at 3470 (topped over 3500) and its my most accurate load hands down in a 55 yr old Savage 110C with new 24" Shaw barrel that sent me down rabbit hole about 7 years ago. 3 builds later!😂.

The Rem mag primer is bottom end of mag primer spectrum and seemed to give that little boost it needed. ES SD below 10. They seem to be more available too.

To my way of thinking the 127 grain Hammer is too much of a good thing regarding penetration. That bullet would shoot through a deer end to end. It's more than enough for elk. I'd be thinking more like the 108 grain Apex afterburner with 0.283 G7 BC https://www.apex-outdoors.com/product-page/afterburner-257-108-gr That would allow more like 3400 fps. 300 more fps and higher BC. It's still enough bullet to shot thru most game at a bad angle. At my elevation, 4500ft, it's still 2000 fps at 1,000 yards.

I have a 25-06AI Sendero that Kirby Allen chambered for me years ago, nice Rifle!

I would think necking the Wea. 6.5 RPM down to .257 and using a 1-7 twist barrel would be nice if a person wanted to use a rifle with the
'06 bolt face.

Flashback! -expensive stock in 2007. Barrel is a Shilen Select Match. Still punches out great groups after getting the chamber cleaned out with a 25 Sherman LA reamer.
Started with a new M700 SS.

Waiting on my 25SS to be finished now, same capacity as the LA in a .5" shorter case. 71-72grs.

Attachments

• IMG_5909.jpeg
    IMG_5909.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 22
To my way of thinking the 127 grain Hammer is too much of a good thing regarding penetration. That bullet would shoot through a deer end to end. It's more than enough for elk. I'd be thinking more like the 108 grain Apex afterburner with 0.283 G7 BC https://www.apex-outdoors.com/product-page/afterburner-257-108-gr That would allow more like 3400 fps. 300 more fps and higher BC. It's still enough bullet to shot thru most game at a bad angle. At my elevation, 4500ft, it's still 2000 fps at 1,000 yards.
My experiences with the old standard 25-06 was that it shot thru a deer end to end. Literally did that on a full frontal pronghorn shot I took years ago at 300yds with a typical soft point bullet. Pile drived some of the spine ruining some of the backstrap.
Im banking on the Hammers opening up and shedding their petals, they have a solid reputation for that. I have a sample pack of 117gn Absolute Hammers I will test to appease my curiosity how fast I can get a Hammer to fly but time is running out before deer season in a few weeks so that will be on hold.

Your build looks great. What Barrel Contour is your Douglas?
Thank you. My smith told me it was a Sendero profile. I get confused looking up profile dimensions so really dont know myself, regardless Im really happy with the appearance of the barrel to the rifle and the heavier barrel looks like Im getting around 4 or 5 shots without any shift in POI from heat. Ive only tested that once though and continue to let the barrel cool after no more than 3 shots max. The trade off here is the additional weight in the field hunting, this is not a lightweight rifle anymore its about 11lbs I think... I need to weight it now.