25-06 Ackley Improved velocities

When a new barrel needs breaking in, and brass need to be blown out, firing rounds seems like it's beneficial in 2 ways, to Me. However you want to look at it.
Performance is #1 for Me.
Long barrel life and efficiency is nice but not the priority with an AI.

The only free lunch way to better ballistic performance is better bullets. Specifically bullets with higher BC for their weight. For instance, the Hornady ELD-VT vs similar weight V-max both varmint bullets. Or the Apex, and formerly Badlands, vs Hammer or Barnes or most other mono bullets. For same weight Apex bullets are way higher BC than the Hammer. A standard 25-06 shooting 108 grain Apex will ballistically equal, drop and drift, the 257 Roy shooting 127 Hammer as outlined earlier. To me the Apex is a free lunch. As free as it gets in shooting. Less powder, less recoil, less barrel wear, and equal on animal performance.

What if I just simply loaded my high BC 127gn bullet 100fps slower?

Then will my barrel last as long as a standard 25-06?

What if I just simply loaded my high BC 127gn bullet 100fps slower?

Then will my barrel last as long as a standard 25-06?
Don't worry about barrel wear. You have the AI. Make the most of it. That 127 gr Hammer doesn't have high BC for it's weight. It's 0.262. The 133 Berger elite hunter is 0.315, The Apex 108 is 0.283. The Berger will carry more energy to distance. The Apex will allow 300 more fps at the muzzle and that advantage will increase with distance. At 1,000 yards the Apex will be 400+ fps faster. Put those numbers into JBM ballistic calculator and you'll see the advantage of high BC for weight bullets.

Don't worry about barrel wear. You have the AI. Make the most of it.
Im not, i considered wear when I chose this build and its not a factor for me or most hunters. This isnt a plinking rifle and this barrel will last me my life.
The 127HHT is fine for me, im not going to hunt out to 1000yds. The 127HHT at my velocity is on par with a 7RM using the same bullet weight class... this is a really versatile rifle for me. I can still shoot standard 25-06 loads and lighter bullets, a very versatile rifle.

Im not, i considered wear when I chose this build and its not a factor for me or most hunters. This isnt a plinking rifle and this barrel will last me my life.
The 127HHT is fine for me, im not going to hunt out to 1000yds. The 127HHT at my velocity is on par with a 7RM using the same bullet weight class... this is a really versatile rifle for me. I can still shoot standard 25-06 loads and lighter bullets, a very versatile rifle.
That is a great rifle. I like it. I've just been trying to help you make the most of it. Good luck with your rifle and hunting adventures.!

Here is some FF loads @ 300 with the 25 Sherman, 115 ballistic tips.
The AI cartridge is capable of the same, cameras weren't quite as available when I did it.

Attachments

• IMG_6065.jpeg
    IMG_6065.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6042.jpeg
    IMG_6042.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
That is a great rifle. I like it. I've just been trying to help you make the most of it. Good luck with your rifle and hunting adventures.!
You've been helpful. I wasnt aware of the Apex bullet, and thats an impressive BC. Versatility is key with a build like mine so more options are a good thing.
I chose a 7 twist to include the heavier options. I just got the rifle and starting with that 127HHT. Im already zeroed with dope out to 300yds... hoping I can get some drops in time for deer season next month out to 600.
Will consider lighter bullets another day, i need this to be read for fall hunting in 3 weeks.

Here is some FF loads @ 300 with the 25 Sherman, 115 ballistic tips.
The AI is cartridge is capable of the same, cameras weren't quite as available when I did it.
Am I reading this right? Dime size groups at 300yds?
Good shooting there.
I look forward to improving my marksmanship with my new rifle. Ive never shot 1/4moa before so this will be a nice rifle for me to learn more with... my group opened up to .75moa at 300yds so thats on me. Lots to learn still.

Fireformed my Winchester brass 25-06 with 51g (+/- .2 ) of IMR4350 behind a 117g SBT. COAL 3.1750. H2O capacity was 65.8. This is throated for a Berger 133g, so no way I was getting this 117g to the lands as I normally do. Should have put more powder in…some cases look like a weatherby round. Tomorrow will tell me how much more speed I get from the AI change. Case capacity on the AI will probably be ~71g.

Attachments

• IMG_6402.png
    IMG_6402.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 17
I fire formed mine with 15g of bullseye and topped with cream of wheat. 98% formed case with just a tiny bit of radius vs sharp shoulder edge. After the fireforming, working up loads were extremely accurate.

Last edited:
I tried Rem 9 1/2 mag primer in .270Win with 117HH at 3470 (topped over 3500) and its my most accurate load hands down in a 55 yr old Savage 110C with new 24" Shaw barrel that sent me down rabbit hole about 7 years ago. 3 builds later!😂.

The Rem mag primer is bottom end of mag primer spectrum and seemed to give that little boost it needed. ES SD below 10. They seem to be more available too.

What powder and charge are you running the 117 @ 3470 with?

My 24" ULA (270) along with 61/H4831 is just sub 3300 and it's toasty hot

Recent Posts