2024 Dove Season

Opening day of Dove season Sep 1 here in NM, had my limit by 8:00am with a little Savage/Stevens .410 single shot. I feel like I'm shouldering a yard stick every time I swing it, but gets the job done.
IMG_4031.jpeg

Great season opener!! We had limits yesterday and today. Pretty dry here in western South Dakota but plenty of birds. Today we hunted "the pond" which is completely dry but the birds don't seem to care. There's usually 2-5 feet of water in this one. The birds would come bombing in to the decoys set in the middle. Seems to be a bumper crop of these spiders this year also. They have webs all across the prairie.

20240902_072846.jpg
20240902_072850.jpg
20240901_085604.jpg
20240901_072009.jpg

Went out with some buddies yesterday the 1st and got six . 4 with my sxs and 2 with my new beretta a300 ultima . The sxs got the knick name Elmer Fudd .
Out this morning and got 9 more . I'm a terrible shot !!

Attachments

• 20240901_153311.jpg
    20240901_153311.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240825_145522.jpg
    20240825_145522.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 22
The bird report for SOCAL this year doesn't look good at all. Many of the fields did not get planted due to a lack of funding. The grants that are normally available for organizations like Desert Wildlife Unlimited, and others, were never even opened. The bird numbers are well below last season in many public land areas. Some think the birds made an early migration, others think they went north for longer because of the heat, others think because we actually had some rain that they are scattered because there's actually food for them to eat in many different locations that normally wouldn't hold any food/water............. who knows. I'm just hoping to have time to get out and hunt.

The bird report for SOCAL this year doesn't look good at all. Many of the fields did not get planted due to a lack of funding. The grants that are normally available for organizations like Desert Wildlife Unlimited, and others, were never even opened. The bird numbers are well below last season in many public land areas. Some think the birds made an early migration, others think they went north for longer because of the heat, others think because we actually had some rain that they are scattered because there's actually food for them to eat in many different locations that normally wouldn't hold any food/water............. who knows. I'm just hoping to have time to get out and hunt.

The opener was pretty slow this year for sure. Day two was almost not worth staying for.

Hey brcfo that's a bummer about the opener, I'm looking forward to quail and chukar season. After a long time of searching I finally found a good spot last season.