11 ft brown bear

I predict AAA Alaskan Outfitters (or Kitchel's Alaska Guide Service) is gonna experience an uptick in business!

This second bear with the 29"+ skull actually appears to have the larger body - to my eyes. But they're both monsters. A lot of boars die a natural death from old age, and still never grow a 29"+ skull. They're hunting bears from an area with a "big skull gene pool". Wouldn't doubt but what these two bears are blood relatives.

On a humorous note, I see the hunter (or guide) joined the half-moon club. See the blood from the scope cut next to the man's right eyebrow? Clearly right hand dominant! Hahaha... 🙂 Doubt he even felt it while in the presence of that big boar.

I may have my wires crossed but the peninsula is on an 18 month cycle for bear management. It will be a while before more big bears are harvested.

I walk around from time to time in wilderness on the peninsula and the abundance of bears is staggering. Lots of predators of all types. Think we had a long closure a few years back when the villages were closed. Did a lot of hiking in some really remote places. Bears, wolves, wolverines and foxes. Don't think we saw a Moose or a caribou at all... just fish birds and predators.

What's the lifespan of those big boars up there and how long does it take to get that big. My only experience with bears are the black bears here in PA and it seems like most of the large ones are under 7 years old and actually seem to be on the way down by 10.

What's the lifespan of those big boars up there and how long does it take to get that big. My only experience with bears are the black bears here in PA and it seems like most of the large ones are under 7 years old and actually seem to be on the way down by 10.
Minimum of 8 years old for maximum skull growth.

Brown bear aren't considered mature until ~7 1/2 years old. Some survive in the wild up to ~30yrs, where there's little hunting pressure. Which is usually the difficult and expensive areas to get to. Or in a coastal area National Park. The "No Hunting Allowed" areas. Like where Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend were killed and consumed.

Some people think brown bear skulls continue to grow wider until death. But I talked to a F&G biologist who covers Kodiak Island who said their bone structure is basically mature, as big as it'll ever get, by around 8 1/2 years of age. There's a full body mounted boar in the Kodiak F&G office with a +29" skull. The body didn't look huge. Biologist told me it was the largest skull on any boar he'd ever checked in. And the boar was like 8yrs old.

This biologist was aware of the belief that brown bear skulls continue to grow, albeit slowly, after 8 yrs of age. But he disagreed. Said they're no different than humans. Our skeletons reach full size after a certain age, and then our bones grow no larger.

I do believe most human stomachs contine to grow larger past the age of skeletal maturity... 😆

Last edited:
met brent jones at the harrisburg pa sportsman show.hunted with his partner at the time.there area is excellent and success rate is high.was fortunate to harvest a 9ft 8inch boar on the 3rd day of my hunt.shot him with my custom winchester 338.one of my fondest memories in my 48 years hunting.forgot to mention this was back in the mid 90s.there are other great outfitters on the peninsula,but aaa is excellent.im not surprised at all that those big boys were taken there.im going back next year but to kodiak.getting old and my last bear hunt.to all of you i hope those that havnt have the opportunity to go someday.good hunting to all.