Brown bear Rifle

View attachment 582644
What do you think of this one ole boy?

I’m sure you’re one of the foremost experts in the world but we are opening some discussions you know, trying to get to your level of knowledge.

I know I am proficient enough to kill a bear with something less than an anti tank weapon but other than that, yeah maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I also don’t brag and make things out to be more dangerous and more challenging than they are. I guess that’s all relative to what you’ve experienced.

If you have some good info, maybe you could grace us and get on the other side ot the discussion from the “don’t know what your talking about group”.

I suspect that if you could, you would have already and that’s confirmation enough.

Sorry I don’t impress the likes of you on my infinite knowledge. Most of what I know has come from listening to people in Alaska, either from there or currently living there who I met during my time there or my own personal observations.

So seeing people say that Brown bears are tracking and stalking people, among many other similar comments does bring out the “some don’t know what they’re talking about comment” but I don’t remember specifying anyone specifically.
First off, if you can load it in the back of a side by side, it’s not that big.
Second, why are you sharing pics of animals you didn’t kill?
Third, don’t believe everything you read on the internet. If you can not filter out the garbage from the true advice. You’re going to be in for a rude awakening.
It’s not hard to kill anything over a bait from 50 yards like what freel did. Especially when your only investment is time and like $50. Guys like you will never put your money where your mouth is. I’ve killed a grizzly with a 6.5 before. It’s doable, but far far far from ideal. And that was only a 400-500 lb grizzly, not a 1500 brown bear. So unless you’ve done it, don’t act like an expert 🤷‍♂️

That’s almost the kind of talk you use when you are standing in front of someone . Not in an Internet forum.
Buddy, you don’t know me , Mr I have done that with a 6.5 .
Guys like you live long boring lives in the woods and only know what is 50 feet from your outhouse.
So before you make accusations, back up your infinite expertise about someone you’re talking to.
No I didn’t put up a lot money. The Fallen Outdoors organization and those in support have been very generous to me. So on that part you’re correct. I wouldn’t put a lot of money into it because frankly , wasn’t much of a thrill or challenge but for someone who talks all day and has never done anything but run the goats out of their barn I guess it would be.
I’m not acting like a bear hunting expert, I am an expert marksman and that’s a fact. However, there’s no way you would be able to digest that point as I haven’t made that clear.

Again, share your 500 pound 6.5 bear with us and tell how much it cost and how you were in such perilous danger.

I’d love to hear all about it from a premier expert like yourself Mr 6.5. Perhaps with your wisdom and information I’ll be able to impress you somehow with my bear hunting accolades. You know that’s always been a goal of mine.

I’ll let you get back to tending the Hurd .

That’s almost the kind of talk you use when you are standing in front of someone . Not in an Internet forum.
Guys like you live long boring lives in the woods and only know what is 50 feet from your outhouse.
So before you make accusations, back up your infinite expertise about someone you’re talking to.
No I didn’t put up a lot money. The Fallen Outdoors organization and those in support have been very generous to me. So on that part you’re correct. I wouldn’t put a lot of money into it because frankly , wasn’t much of a thrill or challenge but for someone who talks all day and has never done anything but run the goats out of their barn I guess it would be.
I’m not acting like a bear hunting expert, I am an expert marksman and that’s a fact. However, there’s no way you would be able to digest that point as I haven’t made that clear.

Again, share your 500 pound 6.5 bear with us and tell how much it cost and how you were in such perilous danger.

I’d love to hear all about it from a premier expert like yourself Mr 6.5. Perhaps with your wisdom and information I’ll be able to impress you somehow with my bear hunting accolades. You know that’s always been a goal of mine.

Expert marksmen lol

Your a google expert

Here’s a 6 month span
7’ black bear
21+” bc black bear
300 win 200 gr aframes
He went 15 yards

7 foot grizzly add on to a sheep hunt
6.5x284 norma
350 yards, first shot center punched with a 156gr Berger
It started spinning so I kept shooting
6 or so more 140 gr a frames
It stopped moving

10’ polar bear
338 ss
30-40 yards away
225 gr a frames
He ran about 50 yards
My buddy uses a 458 win for the white bears. Same rifle he uses for narwhal, belugas, and walrus

This is just 6 months
One of us talks ****, one of us actually does it
🤷‍♂️
Don’t waste my time

Attachments

• IMG_2819.jpeg
    IMG_2819.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7085.png
    IMG_7085.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9427.jpeg
    IMG_9427.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 19
Here’s a 6 month span
7’ black bear
21+” bc black bear
300 win 200 gr aframes
He went 15 yards

7 foot grizzly add on to a sheep hunt
6.5x284 norma
350 yards, first shot center punched with a 156gr Berger
It started spinning so I kept shooting
6 or so more 140 gr a frames
It stopped moving

10’ polar bear
338 ss
30-40 yards away
225 gr a frames
He ran about 50 yards
My buddy uses a 458 win for the white bears. Same rifle he uses for narwhal, belugas, and walrus

This is just 6 months
One of us talks ****, one of us actually does it
🤷‍♂️
Don’t waste my time
I take back everything I’ve said.

I always thought this stuff was challenging and required a lot of skill and big huge powerful rifles.

I guess since you can do it at 30 yds , I certainly stand corrected about how easy it all is and not really threatening at all.

Why don’t you just use buckshot? Tough hunt I guess. You’re my hero and I officially anoint you as the foremost expert.

I am right about 6.5 being the premier Bear bullet though since that’s what you used. I mean it must be.

Thanks for the confirmation.

During the times of covitardation I started taking a camp setup to work on boats as some of the villages or remote canerries to be worked out of had lost their collective minds. It was easier to get dropped off direct, Work for a week or so, camp out and leave. It left me in a soft sided tent in some remote locals and in work mode not hunting mode.

Had 2x interactions close with bears, one a black bear another a young brown bear. Both interactions went about the same way, me stumbling out of a tent to pee to find a young bear looking back at me. In both instances they ran off post haste, we figured bears are easily scared by accidental exhibitionism.... lesson learned 3 days without a shower and accidental flashing is sufficient bear protection...

Probably should stick to a rifle, would hate to be me too'd from flashing bears...

I agree that you should be able to handle what you brought to the fight. Maybe if all you can stand is the recoil of a 243 or less, grizzly hunting isn't a good plan. I know there will someone the knows someone ,who knows someone that read on the internet about a guy telling the story one one being killed with a 22......not saying it ain't true....just wouldn't be my go to weapon for that purpose

I fully agree on all parts and you’re very honest. With one caveat. If you carry a 300, you need to be able to shoot it well under field conditions. If you can’t, then you need something you can shoot proficiently.
The whole point is and I been saying this for 35 years or so, if you can’t shoot what you’re carrying well, it really won’t matter. It just doesn’t make up for poor shot placement to have big heavy bullets.
I just wanted a bear attack reenactment on YouTube where the hunter tried a shot from about 300 yds on a big bear facing head on. Big bore rifle. That is a shot that I would not feel comfortable with under the conditions that person was attempting it. The guide had separated himself, crawling down a costal area to get a better view when the bear emerged. With a weapon I am proficient with, I could shoot that bear in the head, but again, I would not attempt that.

It ended in the hunter getting mauled badly and a wounded bear left in the wild.
perhaps it happens but, I cannot find and instance that is documented in any way, where a bear was shot broad side with proper bullet placement and the round was too small and failed to do adequate damage to cleanly kill.
Again,
not saying it happens but I can find instances of the it happening the other way around.
So when we say, What Rifle should I use. My response has always been, the one you can use proficiently.

During the times of covitardation I started taking a camp setup to work on boats as some of the villages or remote canerries to be worked out of had lost their collective minds. It was easier to get dropped off direct, Work for a week or so, camp out and leave. It left me in a soft sided tent in some remote locals and in work mode not hunting mode.

Had 2x interactions close with bears, one a black bear another a young brown bear. Both interactions went about the same way, me stumbling out of a tent to pee to find a young bear looking back at me. In both instances they ran off post haste, we figured bears are easily scared by accidental exhibitionism.... lesson learned 3 days without a shower and accidental flashing is sufficient bear protection...

Probably should stick to a rifle, would hate to be me too'd from flashing bears...
Oh man !!!! That’s great !!!

Based on the description of your time in bear country, I would consider you more of an expert than anyone just on an occasional hunt. I mean that.

Working up there is hard core Brother.

I know that a pallet of MREs left in the open will draw 5 grown black bears and two cubs.

All they do is run when you open the gate, food, cubs and all. I also have it on the highest authority that a black bear will not eat a chicken and rice MRE. No idea why but they bite it and drop it. Maybe they had plenty of others to choose from. No idea.

Great story and if you were that much I’m sure you have many more.

Thanks for sharing

I had a similar situation and almost had to shoot one here in Alberta too
With my 6.5 once again since I was on another sheep hunt. It was the perfect caliber for that situation too since I was going to shoot him in the guts and let him crawl off and die in some hole

I agree that you should be able to handle what you brought to the fight. Maybe if all you can stand is the recoil of a 243 or less, grizzly hunting isn't a good plan. I know there will someone the knows someone ,who knows someone that read on the internet about a guy telling the story one one being killed with a 22......not saying it ain't true....just wouldn't be my go to weapon for that purpose
Those Mulie freak dummies shot a black bear with a 22 creed. It didn’t die immediately like they thought. And it wasn’t dead when they walked up to it. It mauled a couple of the hounds and was a total cluster… you can’t cure stupid

I wonder if that ever happened to anyone with a larger caliber gun? I wonder if they were stupid to?

I guess to some people, everyone is stupid. Except them.

Maybe they didn’t pay the guide enough money to set it up properly and that’s the stupid part?