1,000 yard deer rifle...

DandT

This is one of our rifles that we use for shooting deer out to and in excess of 1,000 yards...

I'll give a list of specifics on how we accomplish successful and consistant hits on deer at long-range if your interested on how we do it. Gotta run for now cause it's supper time....

D&T

D & T, welcome aboard, of course we're interested. that's what we do here. nice lookin rig. tell us about it and how you do it!

Thank you Sir...

Here is a spec list on the gun -

Remington 700 short action, completelt blue-printed and set up as a single shot...

The trigger is a Jewell and has been adjusted to a glass breaking 6 ounces...

The stock is a McMillan Tooley MBR fiberglass stock. The action has been pillar and epoxy bedded and the barrel has been fully free floated. The stock has also been factory weighted to 10 pounds...

The barrel is a Hart / 1.450" in diameter / 30" in length...

The caliber is 6mm-284 with a 1-8" twist...

The base is a Weaver 1-piece that has been "taper bedded" to the receiver. The base and receiver has also been modified to the larger 8-40 screws...

The rings are Burris Signature Zee rings that use the nylon inserts...

The scope is a Weaver T-36 Target scope...

The overall weight of the gun as you see it is 29 pounds...

Accuracy wise, this gun will keep 5-shots inside 2" at 600 yards and on our best shooting days, it will keep 5-shots inside 5" at 1,000 yards but the norm is around 7". We shoot deer and not competition but have had a few Bench Rest shooters shoot groups around the 3" range with our guns and loads...

This gun was built with the express purpose of shooting deer at long-range and when loaded with Hornady's 105 gr. A-MAX bullet to just over 3,200 fps., it has proven to be a very deadly combination in this gun....

Here is how we set up to shoot deer at long range -

We have 3 fields that we shoot at and the description of one describes them all. These fields are an average of 300 yards wide and over 1,300 yards in length...

All shooting is done from a concrete bench set up at the one yard line, which is at the edge of a wood line...

Starting at a measured 600 yards, on each side of these fields we have 10 foot tall poles set in the ground and spaced out in 50 yard increments. 600, 650, 700, 750, etc., etc....

To each of these poles is an 8" wide ribbon that are a foot shorter than the poles - to keep the flag from dragging the ground. At 600 yards, the ribbon is white, at 650 yards the ribbon is red, at 700 yards the ribbon is yellow, and so forth and so on...

Okay, now say that a deer comes out on the left side of the field by a yellow flag. We go to our chart and see that the yellow flag is 700 yards. We then go to the chart for our scope and dial-in to 700 yards. We check these same flags for wind and if everything looks good, the cross hairs go on the top point of the front shoulder and the trigger is gently squeezed. just like that, there's a deer on the ground...

We have been shooting deer like this for 9 years now and to date, we have never lost a deer or wounded a deer and so far, we have never had to shoot a deer twice. Something we are all proud of and we do take pride in our ability to shoot and cleanly harvest deer at long range...

To date, our farthest kill has been 1,680 yards with our average shot being between 900 and 1,100 yards...

Our favorite calibers are the 6mm-284, 300 Jr., 280 Ackley Improved, 7mm STW and 300 Weatherby....

Anything else, just ask!

D&T

what exactly is tapered bedding a base to the receiver? are you taking a straight base and bedding the back end up a little bit? can't says i've ever heard the term. and what case is the 300 Jr.?

DandT, I have a Savage 112FVSS in 7MM STW. It has a Varmint taper 26" factory barrrel. I am currently breaking in the barrel and working up a load for a 150 grn Sierra HPBT bullet over IMR-7828. What loads are you using for this caliber?

huntinfool18 - no Sir, I do not have any pictures of bullet damage at these long ranges. Most bullets enter the size of a #2 pencil and exit about the size of a golf ball. We only shoot high on the front shoulder though, if that makes any difference....

davewilson - yes Sir, "taper bedding" is where I raise the back of a 1 piece up approximantly .026" to allow sight in at long ranges without running out of scope adjustments. I know that there are several custom made "tapered bases" on the market but, since I build guns from the ground up, I prefer to have complete control over absolutely everything. The 300 Jr. is a cartridge I designed and developed in 1990. It is based on a "maximized" 30-06 case...

HRstretch - here are a couple of our favorite 7mm STW loads:

CASE: W-W 7mm STW

PRIMER: Federal 215 Magnum Match

POWDER: IMR-7828 / 76.2 gr.

BULLET: Hornady 162. gr. A-MAX

VELOCITY: 3,218 fps.

ACCURACY: 600 yard 5-shot groups average around 2 inches....

CASE: W-W 7mm STW

PRIMER: Federal 215 Magnum Match

POWDER: H-1000 / 77.7 gr.

BULLET: SPEER 145 gr. B.T. - Spitzer

VELOCITY: 3,262 fps.

ACCURACY: 600 yard accuracy of 5-shots average around 3 inches...

Both of these loads were completely safe in our rifles but in any other rifle, the powder charge should be reduced a minimum of 5% and worked up gradually, watching for signe of excessive pressure....

D&T

6.5-284

d&t i just got a new rifle built in a 6.5-284 it,s a short action 700 single shot with a bedded hs sendero stock, shilen trigger 1-8 twist sm pacnor 27'' long sendero taper it will be used for deer hunting and some informal target shooting i have already thought of having a 7wsm or 7stw built for a true long range deer rifle figured the 6.5-284 would run out of steam around 600yds ,starting at 2900fps with a 140 a-max at 800yds it,s only traveling 1700 fps and 900ftlbs of energy at that slow of speed i was concerned with bullet expansion and low energy levels but it,s got a couple hundred more ftlbs of energy than your 6-284 does at 800 and that seems to be be working quite well for you so maybe i won,t need a bigger caliber after all the 6.5 will have far less recoil which leads to better shooting ,scope will be a zeiss conquest 4.5-14-44 sf w mildot in burris zee sig rings by the way that,s a nice looking setup.

ltr308,

thank you Sir...

The 140 gr. A-MAX "WILL" open up on a deer at 1,000 yards if you punch high on the front shoulder as I have used the same caliber/velocity/barrel twist rate as you...

We finally decided to go with the Hornady 95 gr. V-MAX bullets in 1-10" twist barrels a couple years ago and have'nt looked back since. We can pust these bullets to 3,500 fps. with ease and they do perform much better on deer out to a little over 1,000 yards....

D&T

I'm curious as to what you would consider the minimum amount of energy to effectively take deer size game. I also shoot a 6.5-.284 with 140 A-max's. At approx 900 I have around 800ft/lbs energy which is what I consider the minimum effectiveness to cleanly take deer size animals. If your killing deer beyond 1,000 yards what kind of energy do you have at those ranges?

DandT: What have you found for loads that work for you on your 280AI. I am leaning towards the 168 Berger VLD's - any help is appreciated.

1000 deer rifle

Dandt,
Can you explain the taper beding for me a little more, what kind of retical are you using, how are you zeroing, and at what yardage.

Jeb.

-----------------------------------------
By his blood we are healed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts