Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Berger VLD

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

britz

I am planning on complimenting my other research with a poll specifically for factory rifles. Please - only for factory rifles.

Thanks.

Hmmm... so far the VLD's are getting higher praise from factory rifle shooters than I anticipated. I am assuming that either the freebore in most factory rifles allows them to stay within 0.120" of the lands or that the VLD's shoot better than expected with freebore in excess of 0.120".

One of the reasons for the survey was that My Tikka will not allow The unfired cartidge to eject cartridges seated close to lands w/o taking the bolt out using a 180 Nosler AB with a Tangent ogive, much less a VLD w/ a secant ogive!

Anyone getting good results from VLD's with 0.25" or better Freebore???

They shoot great in my 300 (190 vld's) and two 30-378 (210 vld's) Weatherbys with freebore. I just load them as long as I can and still smoothly cycle them through the mag box. Not sure exactly but they are not even close to the lands.

I recently accurized my 300 WSM Vangaurd. I shot it in last weekend with a group using Barnes 180TS with the blue tips at an average velocity of 3034 fps and shot a one hole group at 100 yards. It measured 3/8"

I had the best luck with the A max(208gr) out of my savage 110 300WM.I tried Matchkings,accubonds and Amax's,and the Amax's shot the best for me.I should have my rifle back next week after getting it re chambered to a 7mm WSM.The first bullet I will try is going to be a 162gr Amax.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.