Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Nosler E-tip

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 57 26.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

britz

Well, here is what got me started thinking about this: I currently shoot a Tikka T3 factory 300wsm that has enough freebore using 180 NAB and was thinking of switching it up a little to the Berger 210 VLD. I then researched and found out that almost every one having luck with secant ogive bullets (more directly the VLD's) is mashing them into the lands or at least getting really close. Since I am pretty sure I'm going to stick w/ the NAB and probably just sort the a little by ogive distance.

Ya, I know I get long winded. Anywho, I though it would be interesting to see what bullets the members are preferring for big game hunting from .277 to .338 cal rifles.

Feel free to comment on what played a part on your decision.

Thanks, Mark

Since your poll includes all big game hunting, and not just long range, I chose "other."

The AB is a great bullet and I use a lot of them, however, I'm one of the rare hunters that prefers the Swift Scirocco over the AB. But, I have more TTSX/TSX on my bench than any other bullet b/c it is tough, accurate, and blows through bone, or at least for me it has since I've been using them in 2003.

I do not care for SMKs for game. The only "match" bullet I like on game so far is the Berger VLD and I like them a lot. One reason I didn't choose the VLD has nothing to do with its ability to perform. It has to do with how it breaks up and leaves lead fragments in the meat. Because I aim for high shoulder, I tend to spread the lead in my backstraps. Whether or not this is causing me harm or my family has yet to be discovered but a lot of studies are talking more about it. I have ignored the bulk of the information so I cannot say if it is more anti-hunting agenda or what.

I don't know if I could ever settle on one bullet for everything simply b/c I like a variety. For example, in ONE 270 rifle I own, I have 6 different loads for it, including a 130 Scirocco/IMR4831 with Lapua brass, 110 TTSX/H4350, 130 TSX/Re19, 130 TTSX/H4350, 130 Nosler Solid Base/Re22, 130 E-tip/H4831SC. All shoot very well and I'd take any on a deer hunt or antelope hunt.

Berger VLDs for shots greater than 450-500 yds.

Nosler Accubonds for less than ~ 450 yds.

I load the Berger VLDs single shot for the long shots so there's no reason to eliminate that bullet from use just because you can't fit them in your magazine. Seat the bullet out to jam them into the lands 0.005" and then load them single-shot style for the truely long range shots.

Stack the Nosler Accubonds or whatever other bullet you prefer into the magazine for the closer shots where you may not have the latitude (time) to load them one at a time.

For the medium velocity rifles and shooting 300+ yards I prefer the Sierra Gamekings. I have yet to have one fail and I've taken 10+ Muleys with them at ranges of 75-500yds.

I have been thinking that I would like to develop some higher Velocity loads for my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero for Elk, I would probablly use Nosler AB or Hornady Interbonds.

I have taken 1 Muley with a Berger 168g VLD and It performed very well with a double lung shot at 332 yds. I am in agreement about the bullet upset and fragmentation, but It killed it stone cold dead.

Sierra Gamekings are best at velocitys of a .30-06, .270, and similar cartridges. Over 3200fps you will experience more bullet failure, and core jacket separation. My friend has had this problem with his 300 Win Mag and 165g Gamekings. He switched to a heavier bullet and all is well.

Dan

Although I use the 300SMK in .338 for my Edge and my 338AM and have taken my last 3 elk with one shot kills with it, my currently favorite bullet is the Accubond. I use it in several rifles and it is exceptionally accurate, reasonably priced and performs well.

AJ

In my experience, the Nosler Partition.

The B.C.s are not as good as the newer designs; but when you absolutely, positively need to kill something (from any angle), the PTs have never let me down.

I had to vote "Other" on this poll.

I have a couple of rifles that favor Partitions, however I like the Hornady line of Interbonds for the rest. I have also had good results with the Barnes TSX line.

I was debating on if I should include the Barns and it seems I should have. Oh well.

I'm glad that some of you are thinking of it in terms of "Hunting Bullets" not strictly LRH bullets. The fact of the matter is that most of us will bring one type of bullet with on a hunt and have our rifles zero'd for that combination. We see game anyware from 1yard on out.

Thanks again for the replies!

I would also ask if any one has had good luck with the VLD with excessive freebore... just curious.

Of the bullets listed, I like the E-tip. Best weight to bc ratio for a true hunting bullet. I have taken a liking to the mono metal bullets over the last several years.

Steve

I really think one would need to consider max range when voting. I try real hard for good shot placement. So for extended range I choose the .338 / 300 SMK. If I could have picked two, I would have picked the Bergers too for the 30 cal. I may be wrong, but I feel many bullets will look good if you place them well. Thats why I look for good BC's.

Jeff

Britz

Since you mentioned the 300wsm, my go to gun for local deer hunting the vote goes to the 175 SMK. I use it for 0-800 yards. The 175 loaded to 2.860 touches the lands and fits the mag making it a true short action set up.

Yes the SMK will often come apart. BUT it's after entry, resulting in a very dead deer.

I use other bullets also NBT's Bergers and A-max all with good results.

The key to long range for me is not the best super tough greatest bullet ever made. It's the bullet that has superior accuracy and adequate performance. You cant kill whart you cant hit.