Not sure I’m buying into the hype

Good afternoon everyone,
For years I've went back and forth wanting to play the suppressor game. But I always talk myself out of it. Paying $200 for a tax stamp+ cost of suppressor (I know form 1 is an option for less money by making your own) to ultimately have a hunk of tube on the end of my barrel that I still should be wearing hearing protection with just doesn't seem too enticing at times. I totally understand they reduce db and I'm sure many like them because they look tactical and that gets everyone excited nowadays. But real world, end of the day reasoning…are they really worth it? Probably 80% of the videos and tests I have seen show people still wearing their ear pro or tough guys saying my ear don't ring AS BAD as the did without the can. Not trying to rain on the suppressor parade. But could someone enlighten me? Seem like a lot of money and headache to still have to wear your ear pro after spending $500-$2k.

Caleb

go shoot one or a few yourself and let that be the determining factor.

i say yes it's worth it and the most i've spent with the stamp is $850. it works fantastically awesome on my 300blk with subsonic ammo.

made hunting in the woods more pleasant.

my F1 556 can made

shooting 556 bearable.

22lr a lot more fun shooting especially with subs

i currently have my 45 can at a licensed shop drilling holes and engraving. so time will tell about that

to each their own.

My neighbors, and more so, my neighbors horses are glad that I shoot suppressed. I step out on my range behind the house and shoot when ever I want, and the horses don't flip out.
I never killed a quad while calling coyotes until after I got my first suppressor. I've killed 7 quads now, and one six pack. No doubt it makes a difference in animals reactions to the gun shots.
I, like many, only wish I would've bought my first before I did.

This thread has gotten a ton of interest!! Thanks everyone for putting in your opinions!! Keep 'em coming

The thing that convinced me to buy one (a few) was when my neighbor and I went across the road from our subdivision and shot prairie dogs one morning. He had suppressors. It was legal and safe but would have drawn a lot of attention without suppressors. That place is surrounded by houses, golf course and oil wells now.

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to catch up. I only have 1, and I love it. I carry it on backpack hunts which I could easily not do. It's worth it's weight and I'm sure I'll end up with more of them eventually.

I have no idea what your age is. I can only relate my experiences. I'm into my 6th decade now and have what the audiologist calls "catastrophic" hearing loss and chronic tinnitus. I wore double hearing protection for 30 years of active duty, so I wasn't careless. At this point it's a matter of preservation. I hope you, nor your kids, are ever in this position. If a can hanging off you barrel helps, make the investment.

No matter what you believe now, If you ever shoot a good can, (Any of the Nomads, TB, Hyperion, etc) when you pull the trigger you will grin ear to ear with no hearing protection on. I never wore hearing protection while hunting, mostly because it can be cumbersome, easily forgotten, and easily dropped during the critical moment. Now I won't hunt unsuppressed, it's a world of difference, and the wildlife impact that you notice after a shot is next to none. (Hearing safe at that) I use to shoot at a deer and wouldn't see activity on the stand for 3-4 solid days, shoot them suppressed now, and they never leave. They remain in the area, and come right back after I'm gone. Not to mention the added benefit of being able to shoot coyotes if you choose to do so with minimal disturbance. The Nomad L is amazing. My 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC sound quieter than most unsuppressed 22lr rifles at the ear. The regular nomad 30 is slightly louder than an un-suppressed 22lr.

I have an Elite Iron in 30 caliber for one of my coyote rifles a Rem 260 for long distance work. Goofs with the coyotes on what and where I think. Also, I use it on a 300 AAC I load subsonic. Flat out funnest rifle in the "closet". Sounds like an air rifle. My youngest has two himself. His Ruger 10/22 with subsonics is also a tremendous amount of fun. Hype? What hype?

No matter what you believe now, If you ever shoot a good can, (Any of the Nomads, TB, Hyperion, etc) when you pull the trigger you will grin ear to ear with no hearing protection on. I never wore hearing protection while hunting, mostly because it can be cumbersome, easily forgotten, and easily dropped during the critical moment. Now I won't hunt unsuppressed, it's a world of difference, and the wildlife impact that you notice after a shot is next to none. (Hearing safe at that) I use to shoot at a deer and wouldn't see activity on the stand for 3-4 solid days, shoot them suppressed now, and they never leave. They remain in the area, and come right back after I'm gone. Not to mention the added benefit of being able to shoot coyotes if you choose to do so with minimal disturbance. The Nomad L is amazing. My 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC sound quieter than most unsuppressed 22lr rifles at the ear. The regular nomad 30 is slightly louder than an un-suppressed 22lr.

This, a suppressor is worth every penny. It is amazing how quiet a 22 LR Bolt Action is with a good suppressor.

I have an Elite Iron in 30 caliber for one of my coyote rifles a Rem 260 for long distance work. Goofs with the coyotes on what and where I think. Also, I use it on a 300 AAC I load subsonic. Flat out funnest rifle in the "closet". Sounds like an air rifle. My youngest has two himself. His Ruger 10/22 with subsonics is also a tremendous amount of fun. Hype? What hype?
I too have an Eliteiron (Bravo SD) for my .30 cal and under.

.30 LARA 5 of 9.jpg

On my .30 LARA

6.5 CM  TC Compass.jpg

The same suppressor on a 6.5 CM. I can also use them on my .257 WBTY, .264 WM, .270 AI, .300 WSMs, and .300 WMs.

I have another made in Montana suppressor (Rex Silentium) currently in jail for my .338 build.

Rex Silentium MG10 Ultra .338.jpg