Talk me into or out of buying a suppressor, please.

I say bull.

Did find the signature example page interesting.
Not sure which part is bull unless you're referring to the number of examiners...in which case I counted 60 signatures. I never claimed a number, simply the number 8 years ago and that the number has gone up and down since then...which it has.
I dont know the context of the signatures list...but that would make sense. Is that ALL PEOPLE that have contributed since the site went active or is that unique signatures each year?
My information stands to reason, since the graphic at the bottom of your post suggests that not a single examiner is able to approve more than 2 applications per day. EVER.

1 person approved 426 forms in a 260 day work year.
Not impressed.

Screenshot_20231224_165219_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I'm about to whip out the old credit card for the BOGO deal at Silencer Central.

It's a lot of money, and not too thrilled about the ATF having me on file.

I need y'all to talk me into it or out of it.
Your already on their watch list. Might as well buy them.

Not sure which part is bull unless you're referring to the number of examiners...in which case I counted 60 signatures. I never claimed a number, simply the number 8 years ago and that the number has gone up and down since then...which it has.
I dont know the context of the signatures list...but that would make sense. Is that ALL PEOPLE that have contributed since the site went active or is that unique signatures each year?
My information stands to reason, since the graphic at the bottom of your post suggests that not a single examiner is able to approve more than 2 applications per day. EVER.

1 person approved 426 forms in a 260 day work year.
Not impressed.

View attachment 525105
Doesn't surprise me. I never heard of or observed a gov't employee that worked quickly and efficiently. Bureaucrats can't be fired so it's a good place to work if you're lazy, inefficient, incompetent, and want a good pension. I know one personally whose annual pension checks total more than I ever earned per year during my working life. I won't comment on his intellect~!

I have three in the safe with a fourth waiting on ATF approval. I was probably already on their list, and I don't even like sighting in my muzzleloader anymore. My cousin was having problems with his 300 Weatherby in a beautiful new old stock Mark V and after I torqued everything and did what I could do I wouldn't even shoot it. I used to have a brake on my 28 Nosler that would deafen anyone within 100 feet and the Bannish 30 totally tamed the beast. It shoots better suppressed; I don't even have to wear hearing protection with it now. To each his own, and my own is I want every rifle I buy, and maybe all I own to be threaded and suppressed. Are there cons, absolutely, they add length and awkwardness to the rifle no doubt, so if you're climbing mountains and expecting quick offhand shots it's probably not the best option. Sitting in a blind waiting on a whitetail, calling coyotes, sitting on the side of a canyon waiting on an elk to step out on the other side, shooting paper, banging steel; it's nice to not to have to deal with the noise and recoil.

I agree that the suppressor heats up very quickly, causing mirage when bench shooting. I use a rechargeable battery operated fan that I got on Amazon. I just turn it on and point it at the suppressor and it takes care of any mirage issues. This prevents me from having to shoot with the brake only. I much prefer shooting suppressed even when hunting
That's a good idea! Blow the mirage away from the scope. Thanks!

Rocky, I agree with you. You should have worn ear protection even while hunting without a brake. My comment about 90 percent of sound is projected forward was directed at protecting the bone in your ear only, not protecting the more sensitive ear drum. To clarify, without a brake, electronic ear buds are adequate because there is not enough pressure being directed backwards to damage the bone, but there is enough sound pressure to damage the ear drum. Add a brake to your hunting rifle and now the sound is projected backwards toward the shooter and the ear bone is now receiving enough pressure to damage the bone & ear drum. In this scenario, ear plugs and ear muffs should be simultaneously worn for protection. Sorry you didn't wear protection and lost some of your hearing. Always wear protection even when using a silencer because silencers are not always silent, but with a silencer and no brake, you won't need double protection of buds and muffs. Some very short barreled rifles/pistols may be the exception to the above and will require double protection. There are always exceptions, so be smart about ear protection.
Thank you for your clarification and I agree with you 100% and this is what I do every time I shoot. I own about 10 suppressors and I won't shoot a gun without one on it, and I wear elec. muffs every time. I didn't understand how important it was to protect the bone until I started wear a bone style blue tooth head set, then the lite went on. I always been a "school of hard knocks" kinda guy.

Thank you for your clarification and I agree with you 100% and this is what I do every time I shoot. I own about 10 suppressors and I won't shoot a gun without one on it, and I wear elec. muffs every time. I didn't understand how important it was to protect the bone until I started wear a bone style blue tooth head set, then the lite went on. I always been a "school of hard knocks" kinda guy.
I didn't figure any of this out until I had shot too much without proper protection. At least I know I'm not deaf because I hear constant ringing in my ears lol. Back in the day we just didn't know. Sometimes I'd take a rag, or cigarette butt or stuff something else in my ear. Technology and knowledge are amazing, we had neither.

I didn't figure any of this out until I had shot too much without proper protection. At least I know I'm not deaf because I hear constant ringing in my ears lol. Back in the day we just didn't know. Sometimes I'd take a rag, or cigarette butt or stuff something else in my ear. Technology and knowledge are amazing, we had neither.
So very true.

I first tried one while hunting in Africa. Absolute game-changer. Less muzzle rise, less recoil, less noise, easier to shoot. Came home and got one, years ago. Now have a big old .30 that is use for a few different guns and a 5" TB ultra I use for hunting.

My daughter shot a mulie buck at 250 yards a few years back with a .308 suppressed. the doe right next to it didn't even stop feeding, noticed the flopping buck on the ground, and jumped back. They didn't even move off until we started walking up. Guys on the next ridge over were surprised to see us packing out a deer. "We never heard a shot…"

Have severe hearing loss in my left ear. Wish I had one years ago.

:)

I'm about to whip out the old credit card for the BOGO deal at Silencer Central.

It's a lot of money, and not too thrilled about the ATF having me on file.

I need y'all to talk me into it or out of it.
ATF has files on everyone via the NSA there's no such thing as being off the radar. If you have a cell phone they know everything. May as well have better weaponry. Trust me they know All those guys who do private face to face stuff thinking they don't know anything about you are living in a dream world.