Interesting article on bear spray vs. bear handgun defense

I was up in Jackson, WY, visiting some photographer friends of mine a number of years ago. The only bears that I had encountered up to that point were the Mexican Black Bears in Big Bend National Park. Not much comparison there. So, I bought two big cans of bear spray. Why two and not three? My friend is a woman and the other photographer is a big ole Grizzly Adams looking dude and he said the same thing as Ken61 two posts up. We hiked back into some woods looking for an owl nest with fledglings on it so we could photograph them. It took about an hour to get there so not too far. On the way out we lagged behind Dan (bs'ing) and noticed that he had stopped. When we caught up with him he was standing next to a big pile of steaming bear scat. My friend looked at Dan and said, "I'll bet you wish you had bear spray now". He just looked at her and I laughed. I told Dan that if see a bear I'm going to toss her my can and run (wrong thing to do of course). He said I don't know. She can run pretty fast. I said yeah but as she runs past me I'll trip her and then throw her the can. We laughed, she... well... I can't type what she said here.

Last edited:
The head ranger dude at Big Bend NP recently told a friend that they couldn't keep him from carrying in the park but if he fired the weapon he would be in violation :/ Big Bend NP has Black Bears and to know knowledge there have been no attacks. They also have Mountain Lions and that's a completely different story.

This is an article that I took out of an Ammoland Shooting Sports emailing. It is interesting and provides a different perspective about bear deterrents from attacks.

Good read, I thought that the bear hunters would appreciate the information or the misinformation that is out there: www.ammoland.com/2024/04/bias-in-studies-of-the-efficacy-of-firearms-in-bear-attacks
Never hike in bear country without two things,an aggressive canine who's not afraid to initiate an attack , enough where you can bring a lethal firearm in to play.Shown below a Czech import 100% trained including attack, can smell a bear well over a mile away, and we carry a Mossberg Maverick top folding 12 gauge loaded with Brenneke Magnum Crush slugs, with a couple 3 inch Federal 000 buck 10 pellets.The magnum crush hits at 3800 ft/lbs and is 666 grains never had any concern in Polebridge yet , despite 10 bear encounters in 12 years.

Attachments

• bd.jpg
    bd.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 37
  • mc.png
    mc.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 33
Bear spray is for the other guy....
And or for the person who is self aware enough to understand that they're not handgun capable. Let alone cool enough to get it done with a handgun.

I get all the jokes and such regarding bear spray, but real world I'd bet that for all but those that practice a ton load with a handgun (especially from draw to fire and be able to hit CNS in under 1 second to 1.5 seconds on a fast moving and advancing target). I'd also bet that not more than 5 guys in 100 are capable of doing such a thing.........

But, I could be wrong! Have been so many times before in my life.

Bear threads are a hoot, it brings out all kinds of thoughts from all levels of experience and as always a lot of comments from those who just don't spend much if any time in G bear territory.

Flame away boys and girls...

Last edited: