Polar bear defensive handgun

The stance of everybody with much experience is to saw off a Mossberg 500 and alternate a buckshot and slug.

You can put a little sling on it and it is cheap. Many a bear has been dropped with that combo. Or get a JIC Mossberg and pack that.

I might be placing this in the wrong forum, but here we go.
I am going to Svalbard as a helicopter pilot for 5 months.
I am going to have a short shotgun with slugs in the cabin.
I am bringing a signal pistol.
I am looking for a handgun for backup.
I have a wide variety of glocks in 9mm.
I fire almost 10.000rds a year thru my glocks shooting IPSC.

I know the 9mm glock only has a limited penetrating and energy.
So I have been looking on a 4'' 44mag and a 5'' 454 casall.

Which one should i bring.
I never shoot revolvers, and i bet I can shoot 6 9mm shots in the same time i can shoot 2 454 casall.

what should I do?
buy a magnum revolver or stick to my all time favorite glock.

Bear Warning.jpg
Click to enlarge

Packrat!

I've shot the 500 Smith and Wesson 1 handed also. But I don't reccomend doing so. Shotguns are poor excuses for bear guns. A 375 or larger is reccomended. I use 416s and the 458. But am collecting parts to build a 400 Whelan. Just about the perfect big bear and heavy game round. . Only uses 58 grains of 4985 to push a 400 gr bullet at 2150 fps. Which puts it identicle to the 450/400 and the original 404 Jeffries. Which have proven themselves for over 100 years. And it does it from a basic 06 case. Its the mostest for the leastest. And it will push a 317 gr GS HV at about 2500 fps which makes for an easy shooting 400 yard hunting rifle.

I know lots of bear guides and have spent many years in closeproxemity to lots of brown bears and can say unequivocaly that I don't know one of them that packs a shotgun for bear stopping!! Buck shot is terrible stuff to try to kill a bear with.

I know lots of bear guides and have spent many years in closeproxemity to lots of brown bears and can say unequivocaly that I don't know one of them that packs a shotgun for bear stopping!! Buck shot is terrible stuff to try to kill a bear with.

I usually try to stay out of this one, as it generally fails to increase my understanding of the capabilities of buckshot.

I agree completely with the above. I haven't used a shotgun much, and almost no buckshot. The reason being is I haven't used it much is its failure to impress me on smaller stuff. Once the shot spreads you're left with individual round balls more suitable for squirrel hunting.

Most human issues are resolved at the psychological level. A shotgun is definitely effective at intimidating humans. Especially when we are not to far from the days when infection was likely to cause loss of life or limb. Unless it's after the loud bang I don't see animals thinking "uh oh" he's got a shotgun I'm out.

Buckshot generally speaking runs ,#OO"=.33 caliber 54 grains to #OOOO=.38 caliber and 85 grains. Anybody recommending muzzle loaders of these calibers for big game? I don't see many handguns chambered for similar loads being recommended ..in this thread so far.

After multiple warnings a friend shotgunned the neighbors Rottweiller, the fact it hasn't been back is due the high cost of vet, and legal bills exceeding adequate fencing. Close range #4 if memory serves. Not the only dog I've seen recover.

I know stuff is killed very year with buckshot, I've seen some penetration video's, but I don't have a single personal experience that would cause me to risk life or limb to buckshot. I wouldn't hunt with a bear guide using it. Just me.

I'm just a beginner when it comes to long range hunting and shooting.

But, dealing with bears I have been doing since I got to Alaska in 78.

If a shotgunner only uses Brenneke hardened slugs. Or cast and loaded his own with a bn of 16 or harder with a mv of 1400+ fps and a weight of 1 1/8 th oz in 20 ga or 1 1/2 oz+ in 12 ga. It would give the best performance a normal shotgun can provide.

I carry a S&W 460 mag in 5" BBL in a Diamond D custom leather guide holster when hunting Bear. Great combo for hunting, packing or pilots and gives you the ability to utilize 460 mag, 454 or a hot 45 Colt load.

I think there is a difference between a Guide and a hunter not specifically hunting brown bears. I have heard at lest 1 person on LRH and I spoke with him personally about shotguns. He's a hunter but has carried a shotgun, buckshot to the eyes and face of the bear, time to drive a slug in next. It would be nice to hear if others have done this. carrying a short barreled shogtgun as a back up seems doable if you are hunting with a rifle and you have additional people or a guide in your party? I think he last told me he was getting a 458 Socum built, thought that would do the trick too.

With all due respect, I seriously question the wisdom of recommendations to shoot buckshot at a charging bear. Really, what are the odds of actually hitting an eye with one of the small number of pellets in the shell? Has anyone heard of a bear injured in such a way actually breaking off the charge or otherwise giving extra time for follow-up shots? Buckshot would certainly not reach any vital areas. Bear charges are typically rapid and violent affairs and personally I'd prefer to make my first -- and perhaps only -- shot count.

Buckshot is a decent coyote tool and that's about it. My buddy shot a buck a couple weeks ago that had been stitched end-to-end with buckshot. It was inedible and full of puss but otherwise very much alive and running around.

Sorry, I only wrote what the guy shooting the bear said! Me, I like the sound of a 50 BMG automatic with 1000 grain bullets. Does anyone make a pistol version of that? lol... I may have to make a New Years resolution to only share my own experience. Until then, I'll go with experienced guides who have lived through several such attacks with whatever they say.

Happy New Year to all...

Bear threads bring out the strange . I get frustrated with people that come up with ridiculous options.
Handguns ought to have their fore sights kept on . Instead of throwing money into an expensive AR. Just get a 375 or 416 Ruger Guide Gun.
If you ever do get jumped by a bear or cougar while out bird hunting then by all means use your shotgun. It will probably turn a charge from all but a starving bear. And, you never know. You may get lucky.

Some of the stuff guys come up with concerning bear guns and dealing with bear charges are about as usefull as someone claiming the 35 Remington is The cartridge for shooting a deer at 800 yards.

since your familiar with the glock already I would opt for the glock 20 in 10mm. Loaded with hot 200gr FMJ or 220GR hardcast loads. Don't underrate the 10mm it is a serious penetrator.

Recent Posts