Polar bear defensive handgun

Glad I found this tread. Good stuff on here. I'm going on a moose hunt to Alaska an was wondering what handgun to carry for the ( just in case factor)! I've got a 45 long colt in a Ruger, so I was just wondering. Again, good stuff on here, thanks for the info.

DT

ATH post; "With all due respect, I seriously question the wisdom of recommendations to shoot buckshot at a charging bear. Really, what are the odds of actually hitting an eye with one of the small number of pellets in the shell? Has anyone heard of a bear injured in such a way actually breaking off the charge or otherwise giving extra time for follow-up shots?".

Last season we had a Grizzly attack us and the guide shot him with some bird shot and turned the bear from further advancing on his charge. So, shotguns with pellets can deter a charging bear.

Bird shot might turn a bluf charge but if he had any serious intent it wouldn't have done much good past 10-15 feet. Even buckshot has not been impressive, about the only thing out of a shotgun that works well is brenneke black magic out of a smoothbore or one of the better sabot slugs.

Shotguns are for birds! The are most effective with the fireworks styel shells used to scare bears off before they become a problem. Your best bet is a short compact rifle like a 45/70 guide gun running a good heavy projectile. Any handgun is a poor replacement but is far better than nothing.

The glock 10mm is going to be a lot easier to make repeated hits with in shorter amount of time. It will penetrate well with FMJ or hard cast and poking holes into the right spot is the name of the game. A 44mag, 454 casual, or 500 smith are impressive rounds but you will likely only get one off before the bear is on top of you, so make it count.

The #1 bear defence is situational awareness and prevention. The best way to survive an encounter is to not have it in the first place.

I run a Ruger super redhawk alskan in 44mag, I'm in Alaska worried more of brownies than polar bears. I've shot several different loads through mine everything from 240 gr sp to the buffalo bore +p+340gr hard cast that are my personal choice for a defensive gun in the bush. I've only staired down moose so far and not been worried about a bigger gun. A heavy 44 load is near the top of most people's pain threshold and ability to make accurate follow up shot(s). 454 although impressive in numbers is not so impressive in the follow up shot capability for me anyways I've shot handguns my entire life. A lot of the wkend warriors here carry 10mm if you are atv riding or snow machining with the chance of filling you gun with mud and crap then a 10mm glock is hard to beat. You will be in a helicopter most of the time so weight shouldn't be much of a concern, nor mud the diamond d holsters are high quality and will probably out last you. I've always been a fan of 44mag and heavyoads even for deer back home, 44 mag Ruger redhawk in a short or even 4" barrel and some real loads will be more than enough to keep you safe. Getting a bullet to penetrate the central nervous system is the key to stopping a charge dead in it's tracks, usually that means a brain shot. I've seen studies of bears being killed by hunters that had 357, and 9mm bullets just under the hide. Shoot one in the face with a lesser caliber may very well stop his forward progress but if I'm shooting one in a defensive situation I want all the help I can get. Get a Ruger super redhawk thwyre make to take the heavy loads unlike some other brands. Do some checking on hsm and buffalo bores websites on which brand is safe to use their heavy loads in and you'll quickly see which gun you'd rather carry.
About follow-up shots with a big revovler: I watched a video in which a guy shooting a 454 Casull in a FA revolver put 5 shots into 10" at maybe 15 ft in 3 seconds. Not as fast as a 10mm, but respectable. He had to use 2 hands to do it, and was a fairly beefy guy. The revolver in a big caliber is slower with one hand, and in either one or two hands allows some opportunity for slippage, cosnequent failure to cock and fire. I'm a long term big bore revolver shooter, I tried to repeat his work with a .45 Colt, failed. It takes a lot of practice.

A 9mm, a .357, .40 S&W, 10mm, 44 Mag, 45 Colt all offer enough penetration if hardcast bullets are used. Must test to ensure they load reliably and shoot straight. After many years of packing a 4" S&W 44 Mag in the mountains, I've switched to a 10mm Glock 20.

The .44 Mag's .429 diameter bullet gives 10% greater frontal area than the 10mm. It can be made to move faster than the 10mm, though not from all guns. Above 1350 fps or so, greater velocity yields little extra in terms of penetration. The 475 or 500 Linebaugh is far superior to the 44 Mag. in energy transer, but of necessity slower, significantly harder to shoot well, and unlikely to out-penetrate.

With your Glock experience, I think the 10mm Glock 20 is a natural for you. I think the semi-auto is superior to the revolver for emergency work, besides which with a revolver you'll have to familiarize with a whole new manual of arms. Maybe consider using a pistol lanyard; bear attacks have a way of generating stories about people losing guns mid-attack, and the lanyard at least assures your pistol is retrievable.

Many people have used a handgun to turn a bear attack, and the success rate is pretty high. Research the slugs you're using in your shotgun & make sure they're the best for bear. More than one Gov't agency in polar bear country gives their guys 10mms. The Glock is an awesome weapon. Good Luck !

ATH post; "With all due respect, I seriously question the wisdom of recommendations to shoot buckshot at a charging bear. Really, what are the odds of actually hitting an eye with one of the small number of pellets in the shell? Has anyone heard of a bear injured in such a way actually breaking off the charge or otherwise giving extra time for follow-up shots?".

Last season we had a Grizzly attack us and the guide shot him with some bird shot and turned the bear from further advancing on his charge. So, shotguns with pellets can deter a charging bear.
Also have been informed of a case where a guy in Ak peppered a attacking grizzly with the contents of an M1 carbine. Didn't stop the bear, but the blood in his face blinded him, making him stand up close on; the guy put six .44 Mags in the bear's throat and finished him. The bear had been wounded prior to this contact by someone unknown.

Three inch 12 ga 000 buck will do more than birdshot, that's my first shot with the Mossberg Maverick 88 top folding shotgun, the next shot will drop any land mammal on the planet,666 grain Brenneke magnum crush,12 years hiking, 10 grizzlies seen one at 50 yards no grizzlies,dogs or humans injured so far. 👍

Recent Posts