Talk me into or out of buying a suppressor, please.

zacii

I'm about to whip out the old credit card for the BOGO deal at Silencer Central.

It's a lot of money, and not too thrilled about the ATF having me on file.

I need y'all to talk me into it or out of it.

You will probably love it! I have the Banish 30 and the Banish 22. The 30 has worked well on some rifles and not so well on others. In not so well, I mean it changed my groups on one rifle from 1/2" MOA at 100 to about 2.5 MOA so I couldn't use it on that particular rifle with the load I had worked up. The other two rifles I tried it on worked wonderful and even gained a little speed. They definitely do cut down on the noise considerably from a muzzle break but you still need to wear hearing protection in most cases.

The main thing I don't like is the length it adds to your rifle barrel. If you have short barreled rifles they are great. If you are putting them on one of your older hunting rifles with a 24 or 26 inch barrel they stick up so far above your head while on your shoulder that the clouds part when you are walking on the ridges looking for deer and elk. :) Obviously a little exaggeration but you get the drift.

The point is to each his own, you will be the only one that can decide if Cans are for you. There are lots of up sides but there are some downsides as well. They're just not for me. Good luck with your decision.

There are some good points made about what you end up deciding on, make and model wise. Unfortunately, you don't really know what you don't know if you don't have any experience with them. My first one is long, wide, and heavy. Works great. But now I wish I'd gone shorter (or at a minimum lighter) for hunting.

I have desire to shoot anything non suppressed... The only scenario for me now that is making me rethink that is essentially longer range sessions.

Suppressors get VERY hot VERY quickly and give bad mirage off into your scope's line of sight. If I was going to be shooting long(ish) strings at the range I may consider going back to a brake. I'd prefer that to be a separate rifle though to keep the suppressor on my hunting gun.

The amount of information on cans is overwhelming. I just figured the best thing to do is get in the game and get some experience with them.

I've considered the Banish 30 (because they are offering a free rimfire can with it), Nomad 30, Omega 300 (out of stock), and the TBAC Ultra 7.

Seems to me like they're all pretty similar. The TBAC has some quick detach stuff available, but I'm not sure how necessary that stuff is.

Recent Posts